xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MaryAnne Der Esel

France Regects Eu Constitution Could set Europe back by years

I can't believe it.....A European council spent 2 1/2 years developing a constitution that would unite Europe and give it more political clout in the global arena. It would replace the current 6-month rotating EU presidency with a permanent one, appoint a foreign minister, make taxes more uniform accross country borders, and allow Europe to speak with one voice on important issues. Rather than tiny, independent parts, it would have found strength in coming together as a unified whole.But, of course, a slight majority of French voters (54%, to be exact.) said "Non!". This creates a problem because all 25 European Union member nations must ratify the constitution in order for it to take effect as planned in 2006. Despite the French vote, the ratification process will procede. 9 countries represting 49% of Europe's population and 220 million people have alread voted "yes". Clearly the majority of Europe is all for the constitution.Now, granted, the nay-sayers aren't merely being dificult; they do have some legitimate reasons for voting "no". They fear an influx of cheap labor from eastern Europe would worsen the current unemployment situation (nearly 10%!), and that they may have to adjust some of the generous social welfare benefits they enjoy.Still, the Constition would be a great benefit to Europe. I hope it those people over there manage to work things out and ratify it.

I'm from Romania and in 2007 we should be a part of UE. With France rejecting the Constitution that becomes a problem... :lol: It doesn't seem fair to me that they judge the UE Constitution by the way their guverment deals with internal problems. I think this is a huge stap back for UE and I can only hope that they will make another referendum (hope I spelled it right). :rolleyes: It would be great to have an UE balancing the power of the USA (at this time USA do whatever they want in the world...for detailes see the war in Iraq) :lol:

france think they are better then the rest of europe i smell civil war or world war III one of the two

I agree with Saint_Michael that France thinks it can do what it wants in the EU and get away with it. It is very unlikely that us in the UK will get a chance to have our say and some ex-MP will express their views in Brussels. The EU at the moment just seems to be an extension of the French government, with the French always getting their own way. The British never get a referrendum on anything, including the Iraq war and this constitution.

France rejects EU constitution when they finally think that it won't benefit them more than it would harm them. I think Frenchmen are a little greedy. They are the champion of freedom in the modern era and one can safely say that EU could be born with France leading the way in many ways. But today when they have to also sacrifice to many extend at the expenses of others they wouldn't compromise with the new constitution of EU. This shows how indifferent they have become. There is another opinion floating in the air. France fears that saying 'OUI' to the new constitution would be like agreeing Ango-saxon dominion in the EU. When France Prime Minister was interviewed in BBC a couple of days before the Referandum, he said that there is nothing like agreeing to the doctrine floated by the British. EU constitution is a compromise reached between as many as 25 EU states. If that is the case, why French didn't approve of the same? Besides 'Non' was almost 55%, in such case EU unity would remain a distant dream when Chindia (the rise of China and India is being termed as Chindia) is raising, threatening even US, EU must make damage control and unite as one body.