xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gallo

Foreign Unknown Languages How you survive without knowing what giong on around yoy?

Small recap of my life (so you'll understand what's all about).Classic "immigrant" from one Country - Italy- to another - Denmark- for job reasons. Relocated, that's the fancy word for it. I don't speak the language. I don't understand it. I can't even read the back of the milk carton. This is the thing that currently is driving me mad the most... I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT GOES ON! Watching the news in TV is harder than climbing everest, reading the menu card in a restaurant is far outta my league and so on... JEEEEZ!Anybody ever tried anything like it????

Well I would probably recommend that you get to know some people or friends that are willing to help you out. In my experience when you are in foreign country, the best way to get to know the customs and your way around is by hanging out with the locals and you will learn a lot from them. Also the language is kind of hard to pick up, especially since it is nothing like italian. You should probably consider taking some classes or picking up a few books. In the meantime just try to hang in there and you will probably get the hang of things in no time. ciao

I went to Europe about a few years back. I was in grade 6 (I think) and my french wasn't all that good. I visited the countries of Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Holland, Sweden, and Norway. I didn't understand anything, and what really pissed me off was that I would see interesting ads and not have a clue of what was going on in them. Except for the bueno ad which came out in Germany before North America. My dad got stopped by the police 3 times while we were there and he had no clue what they were saying. Although my dad lived in Germany his whole life and knew quite a bit of what was going on while we were there. (He even remembered what time the bus would come and the different brands of retarded cars available in Europe). But I hated Europe you could never understand what was going on and therefore it would have been easy for any criminal to take advantage of my family's dumbness (i guess.) At least I knew that pommeprets (or something like that. different variations in the diff countries. frites/ pommets/ etc. ) meant french fries so I was never hungry. :rolleyes: