xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
C2C

Computer Would Not Boot Cant be specific on this subject sorry

What comes up when you try and start your computer. If something in your computer in not plugged in all the way or something burns out it can cause the whole computer not to start up. I recently fried a network card on my computer and it didnt start up. What i did was take everything out of the computer that was no needed for it to run and then i seen if that worked. If the computer starts put the parts in one by one to locate the problem if it doesnt start after you take it all out then i suggest getting another harddrive with windows just incase windows may not be working. You can also of course use the windows disk to load the computer and reinstall windows. I dont know what error comes up or anything else explain to us some more in detail what exactly happens when you try to load up the computer.

The only two things that happen when booted without floppy disK: COMPAQ (computer brand) and then No Os detected ....and so on. Nothing else. Nada. Zip. When booted with a floppy disk, the command prompt appears. That's pretty much it.

The computer is from Compaq which was bought about 3-4 years ago.  And nope I do not hear any abnormal beeps which usually occurs when there is something wrong.  How do I flash the BIOS?

144499[/snapback]

to flash the bios, download the appropriate bios from the internet, then generally unzip to a floppy, and stick it in your computer. plus the instructions should be on the site where you'll download the bios from.

FINALLY! WHOOOPIE! I changed the IDE cables into a better one, took out my main computer's cd-rw and plugged it in and it finally read the window xp disk. Then another problem arises...there are some files that cannot be installed (all contains ----.sys). I'm gonna borrow my friend's window xp disk and see if that works.

I cannot format the computer at all.  The cd rom does not boot.  The command prompt would not let me open fdisk and format.  The window xp would not boot.  Nothing works.  I'm sure the files on the hard drive is erased but I can't even boot any disk...this is irritating.

143606[/snapback]

May be you hard drive is NTFS formatted, you cannot use fdisk and format since it is in NFTS and not FAT32, fdisk and format works only on FAT32 formatted disk drive. Here the solution, drivepro program can delete cylinder from your harddrive doing this will make your hardisk FA32 and then you can use fdisk and format the hardisk, if you don't have this tool then boot from cdrom drive, since during installation process you can still partition and reformat your hardisk. this is a clean setup to replace all the missing file system in your computer... fixing the corrupted files is not highly recommended there is a tendency that the problem will keep on coming back....

I had the exact same problem you have described. What i did was change my monherboard and changed my heatsink, but i clumsyly smeared some of the heat conductive paste over the edge of the surface of the processor core. Once i whiped this off with a soft cloth the computer started up as it should of.

Hey it seems you havent made appropriate changes in BIOS utility. you need to set the boot priorities and also check if the operating system has not crashed.I would recommend to format C drive and reinstall windows

Get your Windows XP recovery disk and boot on the cd (Do this by getting into your BIOS, you'll have to press a key, mine is F12, and reearange the boot order so the CD will boot first.) Then hit R to start a repair, this might fix the problem, but if you can call whoever made the computer if it was a company, then they'll give you some better support.

Well lets take this one step at a time.The first thing that i would recommend is that you try booting in safe mode ( f8 when the system is booting) if you are luckily it will boot. If it does just do a system restore. If that does not work The second thing that I would recommend is that you get a boot able windows xp cd.Bood from the cd and when it reaches the menu get into the repair menu (usually r)You should get to a repair prompt Type in chkdsk /r and let it run - hopefully it will scan all the files and repair the corrupted files.Once it has completed restart the computer - hopefully that will have fixed your problem if not i recommend you back up all the information from the hard drive ( documents, software, drivers, ect.)