xisto Community
RGPHNX

"viper" Guestbook - Anybody Installed It ? Need you comments

Hi all,Has anybody installed the "Viper" Guestbook using the Fantastico installer??Am requesting Your comments re:-ease of installation/ configuration-maintenance/admin issues-security issues-your URL where we all can view your customizations.- alternative guestbooks you like better.All comments welcome.Thanks for your opinions,RGPHNX

I have and hate it, Its easy too install, Youi get to choose where to install it. Admin panel is the worst ever in the galaxy..Mmmm, Galaxy chocolate.Security is also verry crap, Has a choice of horrible skins, And i use guestboks that i made myself, Simple ones. I would recomend any advanced/Pro guestbooks, That are made by good sites.Viper is simple and easy too use but i find it lame, And will never use it.Google for a diff one, Anything except viper.Thanks,I hope i helped.

Thats harsh. I use viper it its easy to use and install, looks professional. Does anyone ever sign these silly things? :lol:

Hi all,

mbd5882 could you elaborate on your comment re:

Security is also verry crap

What kind of security issue(s) does it have??

I'm asking because the website that "sponsors" it doesn't have any security issues listed in their "bugtrack" reports. (ie. http://www.cpskins.com/).

Do you have any info from elsewhere ??

IIf so....Could you give the URL??

Thanks

RGPHNX

PS- Anybody else have any info or opinions ??

Aww thanks, a friend of mine signed my book again too now that I checked. :lol:

Advanced Guestbook is good.I tried a couple of guestbooks - advanced guestbook, simple guestbook and viper guestbook.I also used doodleboard when it was free. I loved the design, very clean, I think it's the best, even the ads weren't intrusive. Too bad it's gone pay now.Simple guestbook was actually good for a while back when my very first host (Portland) didn't support PHP or mysql. It used flat text files to store data.After making all of my friends annoyed with me because they had to sign over and over again :lol:, I decided to stick with advanced guestbook. It has the most information in the cleanest layout.I don't do too much admin stuff with it, so it's ok for me.

I'm still debating on whether to go with Advanced or Viper myself. Both look good and I like the feature where you can choose your country from a drop-down list. I like some of the skins, too. The only thing is in order to see the image you submitted with your post, you would have to disable ZoneAlarm (if you have it). No problem in Advanced guestbook, though.

I like it but its too simple, I need an advanced one,Try it out yourself and install it, If you like it use it.So i have nothing against it but i hate it. And will never use it.I make guestbooks myself and intergrate them into my site.

I tried it, and I guess it's alright, it all depends on what you want and need.I wanted a guestbook I where I could just integrate it into the rest of my site, but Viper (at least in its standard form), wants its own separate pages. I thought about trying to make the guestbook look like the rest of my site, as a compromise, but that meant I would have to make a skin for it. And it had a number of things I didn't want or need, and that would require coding to change. So I ended up hacking together a simple guestbook in PHP instead. :lol:If you want advice: List all things you want your guestbook to do and then check if Viper can do them. And I think you should just install Viper and test it. Just install it into some dump directory, play around, delete it, and if you decide you want to use Viper install in wherever you want it for "real" use.

Hi all,
Thanks for the comments..

So, does anyone have any input regarding the "security issue" that mbd5882 brought up re:

Security is also verry crap

Is this a real security issue OR just a reference to guests having to sign again each time they wish to post in the guestbook ??

Anybody know ??

RGPHNX
ps- Please continue posting your opinions regarding your experience with other guestbooks also.
Thanks again. :lol:

And i use guestboks that i made myself, Simple ones. I would recomend any advanced/Pro guestbooks, That are made by good sites.

142956[/snapback]

Same here. Well, I don't have any guestbooks on my site because I think it does not look professional. I mean, go to all those geocities site that are built by preteens. Almost all of them use some elaborate background and a guestbook. Blech (in my opinion). But if I ever decide to get one from boredom, I will have to build one myself. Several reasons for this. First, no links to other sites at the bottom. I can put whatever I want in the guestbook, and I can safely say that I made it, and I can have the pride in that (little weird, but that's how snlildude87 rolls). Second, I can integrate it into my site without having it go into some weird place like the Viper guestbook. Hard to explain, but look at my site. If I were to install Viper, I would have some other page for the guestbook, and that page would not have my navigation bar. It'll look odd. Again, it's weird, but that's how I do.

Thats harsh. I use viper it its easy to use and install, looks professional. Does anyone ever sign these silly things?  :lol:

142987[/snapback]

Nope. No one ever signs guestbooks unless they are your close friend or you're are someone famous. I just have a blog where anyone can come and add their comments and stuff (no one does that either - not on my site, at least :()