xisto Community
hayri

.trap17.com Subdomain + Add. Parked Domain? Is this possible / allowed?

Hello Dudes!

My current webhoster isn't good (often down, huge banner, textlinks etc.)

Days ago I've found Xisto. Here you get 200 megs space and 2 gig bw. It seemed to be a good deal. And mostly I liked that you have a forum where nice and helpful members are.

I have a registered domain. I'm using it as a "Parked Domain", so I have full acces to my free current subdomain and this TopLevelDomain.

I read out that you can apply with a current TLD or for a subdomain.

Now I will apply and I don't know to choose. Can you help me whether I shoul apply for a subdomain and park my TLD or apply directly with my TLD (but notice: For me it would be better if I could create a subdomain with an additional parked TLD)

Thx in advance,

hayri

Nice avatar, by the way!

Well, although I am new to hosting my own site, I too have my own domain registered. Why not consider Xisto as your main host if your current host is not up to your satisfactory? Xisto has 2 name servers that you can have your DNS point directly. This means you don't have to apply for yoursite.trap17.com, it will be http://ww38.yoursite.com/. And within your cPanel you can assign subdomain and park whichever site you want to have it host. You are limited, however, to 9 subdomains (I'm not clear on this one since I don't use any).

You will get all the information you need once you sign up for the hosting

ns1.trap17.com

ns2.trap17.com

are your name server. Access your DNS panel, update and give about 24 hours to cycle.

And welcome aboard.

And I have forgotten one thing: I also plan to register a second domain name

is it then better to register a .trap17.com sub?

because I think I will point both ( my first domain and the planned second ) to ?????.trap17.com

how many parked domains do we get b.t.w? unlimited like it is written on the main page? Or did it change?

I registered with a sub domain cragllo.trap17.com and then parked my domain into cpanel, and set the dns settings for my domain, sponk.co.uk, you can access the SAME site through both of them.

I registered with a sub domain cragllo.trap17.com and then parked my domain into cpanel, and set the dns settings for my domain, sponk.co.uk, you can access the SAME site through both of them.

142393[/snapback]

Humm, I am bit confused. So which way is better: getting a sub-domain and parking your purchased domain or linking Xisto directly to your purchased domain? I can see the benefit of having yourname.trap17.com because now you will have 2 url addresses. But is that all there is to it?

I have, let's say, http://www.thedomain.com/. When I create a sub-domain named "other", it would be other.thedomain.com? But doing it cragllo's way, it would be other.cragllo.trap17.com and other.sponk.co.uk? Do I have this and understand it right?

Getting a sub-domain and parking your purchased domain would be better, if you domain messes up and does not work, YOU can still access your site if you need to edit stuff.

YOU can still access your site if you need to edit stuff.

142538[/snapback]

Ah! Now we're getting somewhere. What if I am not planning to use any of MySQL or anything except straight HTML and images? I have all my files backed-up at my local drive. So I wouldn't worry about editing offline. I am also using FileZilla to upload and cPanel can be used to upload as well. Therefore, it wouldn't make any difference for me...?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my queries.

Getting a sub-domain and parking your purchased domain would be better, if you domain messes up and does not work, YOU can still access your site if you need to edit stuff.

I dont agree with cragllo completely. As BuffaloHelp is confused, I must tell, its better to point a domain directly rather than adding it as parked. For search engines, it gives wrong rating for your site. Search engines will index your site as yourname.trap17.com and not as yourname.com. So there is no point in having your own domain if its not visible in searches.
Second, as an exercise, just try to submit the sitemap of your parked domain to google. It will tell you, sitemap was not found at specified url, even if you have parked your domain with nameserver.

So my suggestion, if you bought a domain use it. Or else park it with Sedo.com if you want to earn some money.

HELP! My head is spinning after reading all this about addon domains. I currently have a domain hosted here; websetsbydonna .com. My site only contains graphics and I don't use any of the other data bases, SQL, e-mail boxes, shopping carts, and etc. I have plenty of room and bandwidth to spare. I would like to addon another domain for a church in Alaska. When I go to my cPanel Addon Domains I get a page like this:

Posted Image

I understand what to put in the first slot; the new domain name.

What is it that is wanted in the second slot?

Do I need a different password to service this addon domain? If so, why?

As to the hint: How do I get this feature enabled?

@MichSecond slot is exactly that what it shows, in which everything will be name the same heres what it would look likeUsername: saint-michaelsubdomain: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .comdirectory: websetsbydonna .com/saint-michaelmost likely you would have to request this to be enable through the proper channels.

@Mich

Second slot is exactly that what it shows, in which everything will be name the same heres what it would look like

Username: saint-michael

subdomain: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .com

directory: websetsbydonna .com/saint-michael

most likely you would have to request this to be enable through the proper channels.

Thanks for the quick answer SM. Once the server pointers are in place, will the site come up with its own http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .com rather than showing http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .com in the browser address? If it doesn't then I might as well add the new site as a subdomain like my homepage that comes up mygardenofpromise.websetsbydonna .com in the address.

You didn't answer my question about the password. Also, an afterthought, will I handle this domain through my cPanel or will it have one a cPanel of its own?

correction I was somewhat off after doing a little test.When you put in a add on domain your username is already created so it would be like thisDomain: websetsbydonna .comUsername :websetsbydonnapassword: you would put in your own password for FTP access or cpanel/file management access for files to be uploadedWhen you set up your add on domain it will create a sub directory automatically for you which would look like this http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
and with that directory done, you would upload all your files into that directory.Then when someone puts in websetsbydonna .com they will actually be going to this website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
It& more or lesst doing a subdomain redirecting but everything is automatically done for you, sorry for the confusing Mich.

What is it that is wanted in the second slot?

The second slot indicates the folder you which to be associted. For example, (I will omit the .com part) you create websetsbydonna/church or want to differentiate the new domain's folder name. This is where you enter "church" in the second field. If you have not created one this is the place to create one.

Do I need a different password to service this addon domain? If so, why?

This allows access (via FTP) to this directory only using this password. FTP address for add-on domain: ftp.yourdomain.extension
FTP username: foldername@yourdomain.extension
FTP password: the password you set during add-on

As to the hint: How do I get this feature enabled?

As soon as you click Add-On domain to complete the above process, you have enabled this feature. The maximum number of add-on is displayed at your cPanel, which is currently 9.