xisto Community
moldboy

Gnome How do you say it

I was wondering how one would pronounce the word gnome? I've heard it three main ways:1) nome (drop to G)2) gee-nome (sing the G)3) guh-nome (pronounce the g)I think I would say the first one, as in lawn gnome, or locker gnome :lol:

It's pronounced "guh-NOME"... But, many people simply say "NOME".I haven't heard anyone say "gee-NOME", EVER! So, I guess that it is not correct to pronounce it like that.

I just asked my resident gnome how to pronounce it, and he said 'nome'. Which was the way I've always said it, so he might have learned that one from me. Oh yea, and if you didn't know, my resident gnome is of the dryer gnome variety. He lives inside my dryer and steals my socks - but never a full pair. Just odd ones here and there. :lol:

Really? It's guh-nome? I just say nome. How do you know it's guh-nome bureX? I'm still confused

Yes how do you know it's guh-nome. Like I've said before garden gnome, lawn gnome, or **long sigh** dryer gnome :lol:

I know GNU is pronounced 'new' that being said I don't know anybody who does, so I was wondering on what authority you can say it is guh-nome?

I have heard gee-nome, guh-nome, and nome. Most of the people I deal with that are in the linux community, including myself all call it nome. Perhaps the best source for the answer is to ask the creator of Gnome.

KDE and GNOME are both GUIs in the Linux, and the BSD world. Both are opened sourced. To be disinterested here: KDE is an opensource contemporary GUI, it is powered by the QT graphics engine. It is faster and easier to manage than GNOME. Plus, it's more customizable than GNOME. KDE looks more like Windows.In contrast, GNOME is an opensource GUI, powered by the GTK graphics engine. It is customizable but hard to manage, many things comes as different packages. GNOME looks more like Macs, but without the sleek design.All in all both are as great.IMO, I love KDE over GNOME anyday, I had the worst experience in GNOME than KDE!xboxrulz

I was wondering how one would pronounce the word gnome?  I've heard it three main ways:

1) nome (drop to G)

2) gee-nome (sing the G)

3) guh-nome (pronounce the g)

I think I would say the first one, as in lawn gnome, or locker gnome ^_^

142079[/snapback]

GNOME is the official desktop of the GNU Project and the correct pronunciation of the name is "guh-nome".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME

GNU is actually pronouced "guh-new" and is a recursive acronym that stands for "Guh-new is Not Unix". Of course now the question is, if "guh-new" is not Unix, then what is "guh-new"? Answer: "Guh-new is Not Unix" .... hence, it is recursive .... sort of like the old Abbot and Costello "Who's on first"! ^_^

Anyway, GNOME is the GNU ("guh-new") Network Object Model Environment. Therefore, it is pronouced "guh-NOME".

That is the official pronunciation, however, I don't think anyone really cares if someone feels more comfortable calling it "NOME".

:lol:

KDE and GNOME are both GUIs in the Linux, and the BSD world. Both are opened sourced. To be disinterested here: KDE is an opensource contemporary GUI, it is powered by the QT graphics engine. It is faster and easier to manage than GNOME. Plus, it's more customizable than GNOME. KDE looks more like Windows.

In contrast, GNOME is an opensource GUI, powered by the GTK graphics engine. It is customizable but hard to manage, many things comes as different packages. GNOME looks more like Macs, but without the sleek design.

All in all both are as great.

IMO, I love KDE over GNOME anyday, I had the worst experience in GNOME than KDE!

xboxrulz

147088[/snapback]

Keeping in mind, of course, that this is one persons opinions and observations.

I am, on the other hand, a big fan of Gnome. Contrary to what you say, I find it very easy to manage. In fact, I would say that it is KDE that is harder to manage, as there are just too many tweaks, buttons, switches, etc. Gnome is much simpler. As simple as it is though, it is still very customizable. I can transform it into something that resembles Windoze, or something more like a Mac.

KDE is slightly more popular, however I would say that is largely due to new Linux users wanting a GUI that more resembles something they are familiar with (ie: Windoze).

Keep in mind though, that most Linux distros are either based on Redhat (RPM), or Debian (DEB). Both Redhat and Debian use Gnome as the default desktop. I am sure it's not by accident.

Anyway, in the end, it all comes down to personal preference. To say one is faster or easier, is largely a subjective opinion. Gentoo running Gnome will blow the doors off of Redhat running KDE in a speed test any day of the week. See what I mean?

Cheers.

^_^

KDE is more popular than GNOME because of its eye candies and (more importantly) it's windoze user friendly. But once you know linux well you would like GNOME more(from my local poll). The easiest GNOME to use is ubuntu's one. Fedora also comes with GNOME by default. But most multi-GB comes with both KDE and GNOME.For the original questions. I alway pronouce GNOME guh-nome which I got used to in the day where only I use linux.I alway pronouce GNU "GEE-EN-YU" (Letter by Letter) seeing it as and acronum. (GNOME is too long for me to pronouce as an acronum).P.S How do you pronounce KDE? I alway pronouce it "KAY-DE-EE"(Letter by letter also)