xisto Community
dodgerblue

How To Block Google Web Accelerator from caching your pages

This only applies to your site, I don't know how I'm going to protect my email; I'm using gmail. This sucks big-time.

Anyway. This is how you do it.

If you have an existing .htaccess file in your root, add this to it:

RewriteBase /RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} ^72.14.192.RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/gwa-forbidden.html$RewriteRule ^.*$ /gwa-forbidden.html

This is, of course, assuming you have RewriteEngine On.

If you don't have it on, use this:

RewriteEngine onRewriteBase /RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} ^72.14.192.RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/gwa-forbidden.html$RewriteRule ^.*$ /gwa-forbidden.html

Where gwa-forbidden.html is the page you want people to see when they have been blocked.

RewriteBase /RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} ^72.14.192.RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/gwa-forbidden.html$RewriteRule ^.*$ /gwa-forbidden.html
I don't really know anything about rewriting, but to me this looks like anyone using the Google Accelerator would just get a "blocked" message, is that what this does?
I guess it would be handy if you're afraid cookies with sensitive data are being spread to others through the GA thing (I heard that could happen), but are there any other benefits to blocking GA users?

I don't know how I'm going to protect my email; I'm using gmail.

How do you mean, the GA says it ignores https sites, which I am glad to say gmail is!

Very nice! I have incorporated it into my site right away!I have just a couple of questions tho;How do I test it to see that it actually works? Do I need to Download GA and visit my site with it? (I am hoping I don't need to go that route, any other routes?)Assuming some people don't have RewriteEngine installed with their PHP web server, couldn't you just use PHP (or ASP) to check the visitors IP, and if it is within the sub-net '72.14.192.*' then simply redirect the visitor to the forbidden page via HTTP Headers? (Would be more work, but it is another option).I am only asking this because I don't really want to DL the GA and test the proposed solutions right now (somewhat busy), and to raise the same question for others to consider. Especially if others are using another web server which doesn't support the Rewrite Engine.

I don't really know anything about rewriting, but to me this looks like anyone using the Google Accelerator would just get a "blocked" message, is that what this does?

I guess it would be handy if you're afraid cookies with sensitive data are being spread to others through the GA thing (I heard that could happen), but are there any other benefits to blocking GA users?

140767[/snapback]

Yes, you are absolutely right - it will block the GA.

Well, the only benefit is to me, and registered users of my site blogs. It would be a sort of protection against account hijacking which I've heard has happened several times. I think that already justifies this.

How do you mean, the GA says it ignores https sites, which I am glad to say gmail is!

140776[/snapback]

Well, I'm much relieved to know that :(

How do I test it to see that it actually works?  Do I need to Download GA and visit my site with it? (I am hoping I don't need to go that route, any other routes?)

Assuming some people don't have RewriteEngine installed with their PHP web server, couldn't you just use PHP (or ASP) to check the visitors IP, and if it is within the sub-net '72.14.192.*' then simply redirect the visitor to the forbidden page via HTTP Headers? (Would be more work, but it is another option).

I am only asking this because I don't really want to DL the GA and test the proposed solutions right now (somewhat busy), and to raise the same question for others to consider.  Especially if others are using another web server which doesn't support the Rewrite Engine.

140819[/snapback]

Have not the slightest clue - ok, I have a bit of a clue, try pretending that your computer's IP is 72.14.192.something and testing it out using the method in this thread http://forums.xisto.com/topic/20432-test-your-php-pages-wo-uploadinternet-complete-working-guide-on-how-to-test-your-php-pages/ (the one that outlines how to install apache and run your own test server from your computer).

How you are going to pretend your IP is in that range, I have no clue. :P

More knowledgeable people, care to share some of that brain juice? :(

I just read that you can't download GWA anymore. Google's site says

Thank you for your interest in Google Web Accelerator. We have currently reached our maximum capacity of users and are actively working to increase the number of users we can support.

But the question is of course if that is the real reason or if they've shut it down in order to fix the security issues.