xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shigajet

Essay #3: The "imachu" Chapter

Hi everyone! Well, I'm back with another essay from my experiences in Japan. I wrote this one as more of a reflection on living and working in a small town in Japan and a review of some of the things I learned. I guess you might also notice that I - as well as other teachers on the program - were struggling to find something to write about. Eventtually, something comes up and we write what was on our minds at that time.Okay, enough rambling...hope you enjoy this entry!The "Imachu" ChapterWow! Hard to believe I'm already in my third year in Imazu! It seemed like it was only yesterday when I made brief (but impressionable) introduction on the stage at my school's culture festival. Now I'm an ALT "senpai" about to write my final essay before I head home to Canada for the holidays. Like many of you, I found it very difficult to find someting to write about this year. There's a lot I'd like to say, but only a limited space in which to do so. After countless revisions and false starts, I thought I'd just settle on some key things I discovered during my time here.Living in Japan has taught me many things. Even though I was to be the one teaching at my school, I am constantly learning things both inside and outside of school - anytime and anywhere. Here are some of the key things I've learned in my two plus years in Japan: I've learned to be more patient and tolerant, I've gained a better understanding of both the English and Japanese languages, and I've tapped into many different creative ways to communicate my language and culture to others, not to mention that I've also learned a lot about communication in general.Overall, I've adapted to life in Japan quite well. I'm not saying that it was easy. To be sure, I've had my share of hard times, but who doesn't? Bad days happen no matter where you are. Thanks to the many people I've met (both the locals and other ALTs) during my time here so far, though, I've had many more positive experiences than negative ones.Another year is passing by and the "Imachu" chapter of my life will come to a close next summer. I feel that it has been worthwhile for me to stay the full three years. I'd like to thank the town of Imazu and the school for having me as their ALT. I often feel that I was lucky to be placed in such a friendly town because it helped me enjoy Japan for what it is.

Hi everyone! Well, I'm back with another essay from my experiences in Japan. I wrote this one as more of a reflection on living and working in a small town in Japan and a review of some of the things I learned. I guess you might also notice that I - as well as other teachers on the program - were struggling to find something to write about. Eventtually, something comes up and we write what was on our minds at that time.

Okay, enough rambling...hope you enjoy this entry!

The "Imachu" Chapter

Wow! Hard to believe I'm already in my third year in Imazu! It seemed like it was only yesterday when I made brief (but impressionable) introduction on the stage at my school's culture festival. Now I'm an ALT "senpai" about to write my final essay before I head home to Canada for the holidays. Like many of you, I found it very difficult to find someting to write about this year. There's a lot I'd like to say, but only a limited space in which to do so. After countless revisions and false starts, I thought I'd just settle on some key things I discovered during my time here.

Living in Japan has taught me many things. Even though I was to be the one teaching at my school, I am constantly learning things both inside and outside of school - anytime and anywhere. Here are some of the key things I've learned in my two plus years in Japan: I've learned to be more patient and tolerant, I've gained a better understanding of both the English and Japanese languages, and I've tapped into many different creative ways to communicate my language and culture to others, not to mention that I've also learned a lot about communication in general.

Overall, I've adapted to life in Japan quite well. I'm not saying that it was easy. To be sure, I've had my share of hard times, but who doesn't? Bad days happen no matter where you are. Thanks to the many people I've met (both the locals and other ALTs) during my time here so far, though, I've had many more positive experiences than negative ones.

Another year is passing by and the "Imachu" chapter of my life will come to a close next summer. I feel that it has been worthwhile for me to stay the full three years. I'd like to thank the town of Imazu and the school for having me as their ALT. I often feel that I was lucky to be placed in such a friendly town because it helped me enjoy Japan for what it is.

140357[/snapback]

cool. one of my friends has been to Japan and told me that it was like a different world, unlike other places he's been to. The only things I've read about Japan were Akira Kurosawa's description of it when he was a kid in his autobiography (greatest book ever), and a semi-kid's book by Burton Holmes. Do you think most places there are conforming into something like the US? i don't know, i've never been there so i might not know what the hell i'm talking about. :lol: