xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
midnightvamp

What Is The One Thing You Think I Should Do First... Im new to this site, and quite frankly, disoriented.

I've been looking around this site now, and trying to find just where to post, and it's all seeming a little complex for me. You know, that same feeling when you first walk into a new town, and you really aren't sure of how to go about aquainting yourself with your surroundings.Well, I thought that this site would be perfect for me, as I am trying to learn everything I can about website developement (I'm in college for it at the moment) and I knew I'd have lots of questions, and I figured with a forum of this type, people would most likely be able to answer some of those questions.Anyway, my first question for you all is what is the one thing (or frankly it can be more than one thing if you'd prefer) that you think I should do before all else now that I've made it to this site. I'm not sure if links to other areas of this site are allowed in this forum, but if they are, and you know of some, they would also be of some help.Anyway. I thank you in advance for any guidance you may be able to give me!

Okay, despite my searching of the site to the best of my ability, I wasn't able to find anything regarding editing posts.I wanted to let people know, that I'm finding my way around the forums now with more ease! Things are starting to look up!Are there any other areas in the site to look at, other than the forum posts? There are some nice topics here to keep me busy for quite some time anyway, which is a good sign!Anyway, one more "What is" question for the time being...What is this magical button that eludes me to edit my posts? I remember when I signed up that it mentioned that it is against the rules to reply to your post, and that you should rather edit them. But I've yet to figure out just how to do this.Anyone?Thanks again for bearing with me!

? I remember when I signed up that it mentioned that it is against the rules to reply to your post, and that you should rather edit them. But I've yet to figure out just how to do this.

Yes Yes, I remember it to, I'm also quite new to this form, but not to form posting in general, I know that in most forums you can lick an edit button after you post, but I can't find it either. What is even more puzzling is that I have seen posts edited on this forum. I think it may have been removed for some reason, back in January (I think) this site under went some changes, and I have seen some posts that conflict with oter posts, for examle if you get hosting and then your host count goes below zero you must get it back up to a certian number before it will be reactivated. I have seen this number as both 7 and 4!

So as far as the comment regarding editing, I tihnk that might have been a bit of information that was never removed from the rules, most likly as an oversite, because after all admins can edit anyone's posts!

That's true. It could have easily been overlooked if the site went through a bunch of changes. I've used forums before too where I was able to edit but I've tried to figure it out here, and I think that you are right. It looked like it was removed from here.Maybe the other problems where things are contradicting each other will get ironed out in time too. I was talking in the shoutbox today, and was told the number was four, so that's what I'm going to go with for now.I don't plan on having it go that low anyway. And knowing myself... I like to talk, so that shouldn't be an issue. Plus, I just know the questions will keep coming, so that will add to it as well...

I am fairly new to Xisto as well. But from what I?ve been communicated by moderators at this forum is that ?edit? button is disabled to: 1) have people consciously think about what they are posting 2) make every post count/worth (no spam) 3) have you think what you are going to say. If you must use ?edit? feature to edit your incorrect facts or merge your two posts, click on ?REPORT? button at the bottom of each post to notify a moderator what your intensions are. For example, if you want two posts to merge, tell it by saying, ?would you merge my two posts in this topic?? When you need to edit your facts, would you correct this ???..? to this way ???..?, etc.Hosting credit means how long you don?t have to post before your account is deactivated. There is a FAQ post regarding this topic but I forget where I saw it.When your hosting account has been frozen or deactivated due to post being deleted from this forum, you must bring it back to a positive number. I believe NilsC (moderator) will accept at least 4 to reactivate your hosting privileges. There isn?t, however, a set number as I gather since the purpose of this forum is to keep your hosting credit above zero. And when you make your post, it should be according to the forum rules and topic. By the way, this ?What Is??? is for a factual subjects. This forum section is to define a particular subject, technology, method, idea or discovery and have the facts to explain. For example, what is nanotechnology? Nanotechnology is? and you state your facts in your own words.Although my words may seem cold and harsh, please take it as a friendly advice. This forum is very supportive and everyone will help you along the way.Cheers.

Usually what I would do is that I would first look through the most recent topics/posts and see what catches my interest and then make a reply to it. Of course I'll start up a topic from time to time - that's when I have something more to say. Otherwise, there's the Kenka System (RPG) and the Army System. Since the latter is inactive at the moment, feel free to explore other areas of the site and see what you can find.

I am fairly new to Xisto as well. But from what Ive been communicated by moderators at this forum is that edit button is disabled to: 1) have people consciously think about what they are posting 2) make every post count/worth (no spam) 3) have you think what you are going to say.  If you must use edit feature to edit your incorrect facts or merge your two posts, click on REPORT button at the bottom of each post to notify a moderator what your intensions are. For example, if you want two posts to merge, tell it by saying, would you merge my two posts in this topic? When you need to edit your facts, would you correct this .. to this way .., etc.

Hosting credit means how long you dont have to post before your account is deactivated. There is a FAQ post regarding this topic but I forget where I saw it.

When your hosting account has been frozen or deactivated due to post being deleted from this forum, you must bring it back to a positive number. I believe NilsC (moderator) will accept at least 4 to reactivate your hosting privileges. There isnt, however, a set number as I gather since the purpose of this forum is to keep your hosting credit above zero. And when you make your post, it should be according to the forum rules and topic.

By the way, this What Is? is for a factual subjects. This forum section is to define a particular subject, technology, method, idea or discovery and have the facts to explain. For example, what is nanotechnology? Nanotechnology is and you state your facts in your own words.

Although my words may seem cold and harsh, please take it as a friendly advice. This forum is very supportive and everyone will help you along the way.

Cheers.

139988[/snapback]

That does make sense about the edit button. Without it, you have to think carefully about what you are going to say. Myself personally, I find myself going... "oh I wish I added this, and I could have said that" when I go back to read my posts. I'll try to keep them good and useful right from the start, and not have to use the report button, because I wouldn't wan't to take up the moderators time. I'm sure they are very busy.

Oh, and just so you know, I didn't take it as cold or harsh or anything, I took it as a nice helpful post :( It's always nice to talk to people who've been around a little while, and have a good idea about what is going on here! I'll take any advice / support you or anyone else is willing to give here!

I do try to read all the rules, and so far, I think I've been following them (to a degree... afterall, I was unknowingly a little off in this topic, but I was close, so... yea... now I know!)

Usually what I would do is that I would first look through the most recent topics/posts and see what catches my interest and then make a reply to it. Of course I'll start up a topic from time to time - that's when I have something more to say. Otherwise, there's the Kenka System (RPG) and the Army System. Since the latter is inactive at the moment, feel free to explore other areas of the site and see what you can find.

140007[/snapback]

That is what I've been doing - looking through the lists at the bottom and seeing if anything catches my eye. There's some really neat stuff you can find here to read about.

I've heard about that Army System several times, and don't really know what it's all about, but since it's disabled, I guess I'll wait until it's running again, or if it doesn't, I'm sure there will be something else good coming along too.

I really do want to try out the Kenka System. I used to RP quite a bit. I haven't in a while, but it would still be fun to do that again. Do you know if many people use that system? I would imagine lots because there are tons of people in these boards.

I did happen to come across the games section. The only one I've played so far is called Virus 2 and it was fun, can't wait to find other stuff to play as well...