xisto Community
Raptrex

Need Help With Fedora 3

ok i am trying to partition my hard drive but it wont let meim trying to duel boot it with xp with 13gb of free spaceits saying i need / in the root or somethingi think i have another harddrive so ill install it on thatwill i be able to duel boot it if i have xp on hard drive a and fedora on hard drive b

I m not sure if you are familiar with VMWARE or VirtualPC.but if you try these you dont need to format partion.
You can install fedora as virtual machine.i tried it ,it works fine.maybe you can try it tooo.
for help with your problem ask your problem at
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
and your problem will be answered in few minutes.

The hard drive format should be FAT(or) FAT32 if wanna dual boot from same partition.recommand to use different partition.it will boot thou different hard drive. set from bios.but cant accessiable from xp drive unless xp under FAT partition. :(

Raptrex - The first thing you need to do is to make sure that the 13 gb of space that is free on your hard drive is not alrady partitioned by Win XP. If it is you will need to use a partition software to set up a special partition to hold Fedora. One option is to use Knoppix. It is a live CD you can run from the CDROM. It will server 2 purposes actually, 1. To allow you to see if your hardware is Linux compatible, and 2. You can run a program called parted which allows you to set up a seperate partition just for your Fedora.Next you need to take the partition you created and install Fedora. These are key areas to set up your Primary partitions, not to be confused with the partitioning I spoke of earlier.Set your partitions as such during installswap (Size is 2 * RAM) If you have 512 of Ram in your machine, setup swap to be 1024 mb/boot 100mb/ Use the rest of your free space.once all this is done and all packages are installed you will be able to dual boot.You can also set up on a second hard drive. Just make sure you do not mess with your Windows partition and you will be ok. Use the same swap, /boot/, and / format and you will be ok.good luck.

Raptrex:Just checking to see how your Fedora experience is coming along. Anyway, I see you got it up and running. Wine is pretty straight forward. If it is not installed on your box, you could go into the console mode typesuenter your passwordyum install wineThis should install wine for you. Also, you can update your fedora too by doing the same thing, but type yum update. I find updating this way is way better than the GUI way. The GUI way is way too slow. Anyway, hope all is running well. Keep us updated.

the X server is slow for some reason, this doesn't happen on SuSE or Fedora, according what the reports came in from fedora-forum.org, they said it was an unknown problem.xboxrulz

ok i am trying to partition my hard drive but it wont let me

im trying to duel boot it with xp with 13gb of free space

its saying i need / in the root or something

i think i have another harddrive so ill install it on that

will i be able to duel boot it if i have xp on hard drive a and fedora on hard drive b

139351[/snapback]

I think the real problem was that once you install Linux on your system it installs a Boot Loader in the Master Boot Record of your Harddisk.

Try running the command - c:\fdisk -mbr

from a windows startup disk next time to clean the boot loader and then it should work fine. i.e incase i am right about the cause

Cheers.

ummm... He wants to keep Linux, please re-read the post carefully. If you do C:\>fdisk /mbr, it replaces the bootloader with the Windows on and you cannot boot Linux.xboxrulz