xisto Community
Amezis

Gfx Card Problems! It just uninstalled itself

Today, I turned my computer on like any other days...When the "log-on" window had problems with the loading, I understood immediately that my GFX card had problems. When my computer had loaded everything, I checked my screen properties... Even if the resolution was normal (but the screen was too much on the right), it showed that my resolution was set to 480x640, and the colors was on 8 bits. (but the screen had the normal resolution (1280x1024) and the colors was on 32 bits!)I clicked cancel, and then my screen was set to 480x640. strange...Well, I turned it back to 1280x1024, and now the card seem to work again...If someone is wondering, it happened some months ago too... :(

Today, I turned my computer on like any other days...

When the "log-on" window had problems with the loading, I understood immediately that my GFX card had problems. When my computer had loaded everything, I checked my screen properties... Even if the resolution was normal (but the screen was too much on the right), it showed that my resolution was set to 480x640, and the colors was on 8 bits. (but the screen had the normal resolution (1280x1024) and the colors was on 32 bits!)

I clicked cancel, and then my screen was set to 480x640. strange...

Well, I turned it back to 1280x1024, and now the card seem to work again...

If someone is wondering, it happened some months ago too... :(

138689[/snapback]

You know what? This exact thing has happened to me in the past and mine was so bad that it ended up corrupting my system.ini file. And that definitely led to the reinstallation of WIN XP PRO which I am using. I was lucky that a friend of mine gave me an option whereby I can reinstall WIN XP without having to format the HDDs and that helped me to get my files and documents back in one piece into another partition in my HDDs (have 2 HDDs) before I did a reformating of the HDDs.

You know, that can be quite painful and I never knew that that it was a VGA card problem untill after the reformatting and windows then told me that I am having a VGA problem.

I hadto change the VGA I was using. I was formally using nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 PRO/Model 64 PRO and I also got another of the same VGA card which I had and installed in the system. Thats the one I am curently using and it is doing fine.

I never bothered to check out th other one as I gave it out to a friend.

Hi Amezis ,Sounds like your computer is resetting the screen resloution to the "default" settings at bootup.Almost any hardware (motherboard, video card, monitor or connectors... etc) malfunction can cause this to happen. Also, as the other forum members said (see above) it could be your videocard drivers OR even a corrupted Windows OS. This type of problem seems to be more frequent with Win Xp than with some of the previous Windows versions.My advice is to do backups.. then do a hardware diagnosis.. then re-install Windows if you continue to have problems .Hope this helpsRGPHNX

When the "log-on" window had problems with the loading, I understood immediately that my GFX card had problems. When my computer had loaded everything, I checked my screen properties... Even if the resolution was normal (but the screen was too much on the right), it showed that my resolution was set to 480x640, and the colors was on 8 bits. (but the screen had the normal resolution (1280x1024) and the colors was on 32 bits!)

If someone is wondering, it happened some months ago too... :rolleyes:

138689[/snapback]

it think it should be the driver problem

try to install the driver again

if not ok, try to reinstall window

If someone is wondering, it happened some months ago too... :rolleyes:

138689[/snapback]

I think you need to update your driver, if the resolution is not stable then the problem might be in the video adapter thats the only cause of the problem

The computer has been running since the beginning of January this year, and it has only happened twice. The first time, I reinstalled the driver.But the second time, I tried to go on the Internet and find the reason. When I decided to reinstall that time too, it worked good again.Since this topic has been started, I haven't experienced any problems with that computer.