xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
moldboy

Obvously, Not So Much My vent about obvous things that arent so.

In my school division we take matyh on the internet, which you know isn't bad, I like Internet, I like math. Best of both worlds! But when the teacher signs off for the day there is no getting efficent help from him (there is always email) so as students we have been provided with textbooks, and despite how much I like interent, I still prefer earning from the book (for math anyway). But when things start saying obvously, that really bugs me. A text book should never say obvously, except maybe in a quote, or Dr. so and so felt that it was obvous... [case study] But if the line reads it os obvous that from here we should use the decomposition yatta yatta yatta....Well how helpful is that? If it was obvious then you wouldn't have been paid to write the text book! If it was obvious then I wouldn't have to read this paragraph. If it was obvious then why are we learning it.Just bear with me if you will. Lets say that I read " All cats have ears on there head, therefor it is obvious that all dogs do as well." You know at the time I might just shrug it off, but later on when asked on a test or a question where are crickets ears? I would think ' if dogs ears on on there head, then so must a crickts. Now if anybody has studied the anotomy of a cricket they know that the ears are no where near the head.Anyway that's my vent. I love this forum!

I know what you mean. I'm studying maths as part of my University course.Anyway, our text book explains how to do one part of a problem and then will say 'because of this, then obviously this must mean...'It's very annoying, and it makes the reader feel kind of stupid if they don't know it, which is always the case for me...umm, that's why I'm doing this subject :( . I have kind of learned to ignore it though. I now block out the word 'obviously' when I'm reading my text book. It makes reading it much easier and less annoying.