xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Styx

Linux & Ntfs?

Can they co-exist? i was going to try Knoppix until i read on their faq that if you try to write to your NTFS-formatted disk, you can lose data, as Linux can't read those partitions properly, but only FAT32.Total n00b to Linux and related, so how much truth is there to that?

Linux can only read NTFS, and although the NTFS driver can modify files, it cannot create or delete. Most distros disabled NTFS modify anyways.xboxrulz

Linux can only read NTFS, and although the NTFS driver can modify files, it cannot create or delete. Most distros disabled NTFS modify anyways.

xboxrulz

138190[/snapback]

So does that mean i have to reformat my computer with FAT32 if i want to install Linux?

its an option if u want to change the files of ur windows partition to ur linux partition, besides that depends, u can copy the windows files that u need to ur linux partition and use them there... or if u are in windows, you can copy the files from linux, even edit them.its not completly necesary to have a fat32 system to do that it can be done with ntfs, but as youi should know there are risks but if u plan to migrate well..