xisto Community
badinfluence

Further Study In Oversea university recommandation for further study (US)

hello out there,
i need all your helps and advices. i m planning to go for oversea study probably in US. i'm holding dip from singapore engineering college. i was looking and searching over net about those universities listing in US. by lot of states, there are lot of uni. :( i have no relatives nor friends out in US who's schooling, too. so i was missing of knowledges on finding schools.
i probably most self-finance myself to study. i'm interested to take couses, either computer engineering or science related. pls share me about ur experience of
1) which uni/state is best choice for me as oversea-self-finance student?
( i may probably need part-time work in my full time study.)
2) is there high demand job vacancy for computer science graduate after school in real daily life?
3) scholar, hints and any good tips to recommand
4) pls also share me ur experience of uni around you(the school links)
5) any pre-test like TOFEL, SAT needed?
pls feel free to suggest me as your close friend,
highly appreciate your advice and thkz in advance.....
:(

I can't help you with much but I do know you will definitely have to take the TOFEL. To get into a "uni" you need to either take the SAT or the ACT (or both!).

What are you looking for in a school? A good website to check out is The College Board. They have a lot of information there that will be beneficial to you in your search.

I'm sorry I can't answer the rest of your questions- I hope that was at least a little helpful!

Hey my cousin was from NYP :( Just take the SATS. Very easy to score. Haha. :(Not thinking of going to Australia like other "quitters"?

I actually started my site, with the help of Xisto, to help students like you. Although I cannot give in-depth detail, I will try to lead you to the right way. My website is currently in development and I cannot "leak" any INS information/forms until I have the clearance.

1) which uni/state is best choice for me as oversea-self-finance student?

( i may probably need part-time work in my full time study.)

State universities would suit you better than private schools. However, due to the high tuition you have to pay for not being the "in-state" student, you may be alright to attend private schools, such as NYU. You will need to pay higher tuition than other in-state students for you are considered as an out of state tuition student. After residing in the same state for over a year, you may be qualified for residency application which then, you may be able to pay in-state tuition. Out of state students are known to pay 3 times the normal rate. If you are planning to work part-time, be sure to get student working visa prior to your entry to US. Once you are in, due to the recently changed laws, it might be harder to obtain one.

2) is there high demand job vacancy for computer science graduate after school in real daily life?

This depends on where you are seeking your job. You will definitely have better chance of finding a job in major cities, i.e. NYC or LA than compare to Kentucky or Alabama (folks, please excuse me for using these states as an example). North Carolina and Nevada has been peaking with CS related works. There are already 100,000+ students are graduating with CS this year alone that you should consider pursuing a minor degree in Information Management.

3) scholar, hints and any good tips to recommand

I'm assuming that you are looking for scholarships or grants to fund your studies? Currently, each state tuition assistance laws are different. Therefore, it would be harder and harder from now on to find scholarships for visitors. My recommendation would be always be punctual and ask lots of questions!

4) pls also share me ur experience of uni around you(the school links)

Universities that are known to be strong in CS field (around where I live):

New York University http://www.nyu.edu/

Columbia University http://www.columbia.edu/

Princeton University http://www.princeton.edu/main/

CW Post University http://www.liu.edu/CWPost.aspx

Rochester Institute of Technology http://www.rit.edu/

University at Buffalo http://www.buffalo.edu/

Buffalo State College http://suny.buffalostate.edu/

5) any pre-test like TOFEL, SAT needed?

pls feel free to suggest me as your close friend,

highly appreciate your advice and thkz in advance.....

:(

138118[/snapback]

TOFEL will be considered as though you have taken your SAT. You, no offence but judging by your writing, cannot take SAT since your English is not that strong. SAT would be that much harder for you. TOFEL will test your knowledge of English in grammar and semantic. The rules of a language are easier to study than flow of a common speech.

Cheers.

For general information, Singapore is on the list of countries where English is taught in schools at first language level, so if you have studied at a local instituition, you would not have any need to take the TOEFL.You sign up with your school or any reputable institution to take the SAT I directly. Since you've studied engineering, I recommend taking SAT II in Mathematics and Physics.You can also sign up directly with the College Board online.Cheers.

Thanks BuffaloHELP.yep, all the info are very useful for me. i'm trying to improve my knowledge of english language.Thanks tatatee. (hope that you'r from sg too :()the info about SAT II is very specific and useful for me. i'm not sure whether i could take SAT II :( or not. i'm thinking about to sit for SAT I though i have dip from NYP.but one thing,TOFEL specially meant for those entry students who non-english mother-tongueSAT meant for those students who wanna apply for scholar :( but most uni used this for admin criteria, isn't it.pls correct me if i'm wrong.pls share me more..thks all m8

(hope that you'r from sg too :()

138522[/snapback]

Yes I am :(

i'm not sure whether i could take SAT II  :( or not. i'm thinking about to sit for SAT I though i have dip from NYP.

138522[/snapback]

I'm not too sure about that, but I thought that you could take the SAT I regardless of age or education standard.

I took mine in JC1, but I know of friends who have registered and taken theirs in Sec 4, and went straight to college in the US after their O levels, so I don't see why it would be a problem for you to take it if you have a diploma.

Saw this post so I thought I write about my own study abroad. I am currently choosing between England and Sweden. Which would you choose and why? I'm leaning towards England because it is easier to get to other countries from there (I am planning on doing some backpacking after the semester is over). I need to make the decision somewhat soon, and advice would be helpful. -_-