xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SoulFlower

How To Increase Xp/200 Bandwith Up To 20%

A nice little tweak for XP-Pro only. M*crosoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)Here's how to get it back:Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "This opens the group policy editor. Then go toLocal Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable BandwidthDouble click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO.This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.works on XP Pro, 2000 but not on other o/s not tested.

I have read this somewhere before this. After reading that I have search about this on internet and I have found an article on offical microsoft website that this thing is not corrent. At now I can't remember the exact location of the article but in that aritcle Microsoft has strictly recommended to not making any changes in the bandwidth. If I have found the article I will post its link here.

I found that about 1 month ago. My friend told me about that. He's Windows "search freak" -_-

I hope u'll get more bandwith..

just xp pro? not xp home too?

XP and XP pro and XP home and other versions are almost the same. Source and kernel are doing same operations and system tools are mostly different...This works on home also :D

There way another posting in this forum. Actually, it doesn't really increase the bandwidth of the internet. the speed/bandwidth depends on the Internet service provider on how they have distributing. Also, the speed of the internet depends on the type of connection. like if you are using dial up connection, the speed will be surely low as the dialup modem works upto 56Kbps(kilobits per second). so the speed will be less than that. because it is splitted into upload and download bandwidth. so it will be like 44 or more but won't exceed 56. Even if you are using wifi or DSL connection, the speed will depend on the ISP allocation of bandwidth. If you get plan of 512Kbps it won't work to that much of 6Mbps.