xisto Community
whyme

The Art Of Xhtml, Css And Web Standards - Part 1 The Markup and Style Guidebook

Yeah, the W3C are working hard on writing XHTML specs, but there is also the WHATWG, which is working on "HTML5", or Web Applications 1.0 as it's currently called (note that they call it HTML5 in the DOCTYPE). Check out the WHATWG website, or read a bit of what Anne van Kesteren has written about it (Anne has a neat blog about markup related things).

I think the W3C will continue working on XHTML, but there seems to be a demand from both web developers and browser manufacturers for a new (backwards compatible) HTML.

Hmmm, it all seems a bit confusing at the moment - the two running parallel enabling backward & forward compatability. But it sounds like the choice of doctype you use should be determined by the type of content you intend putting on your site.

Definitely. And I hope that IE will start supporting XHTML and/or more advanced browsers get a higher market-share. XHTML seems to have some neat potential things, dito for CSS3.

IE7 will be bringing upon huge expectations for all web designers alike, esp. CSS2 support and Code Validation.

It'll have to be exceptional for me to go back from using FF & Opera.