xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JeffS

Playing Avis How to get them to work?

I recently got some .avi files from a friend, and I cant run them. I've tried both Window media Player and DivX. Can anyone tell me how I can get them to run?

Hmm, DivX should work...what is the exact error that you are getting? Post a screenshot of the dialog box error.If that doesn't work, you can try downloading K-Lite Codec (search on Google for it, and it's free so don't worry about paying), and that should work because I have the Codec pack, but I don't have DivX, and I'm able to play .avi files.

possible problems: incomplete file download (ask your friend if you have same file size); corrupted avi (sharing large avis is a pain, if this is what the problem is...); incorrect codecs (you would have to know what codecs are used in encoding the avi, and download them if these are not present in your system).snlildude87 is correct, any error message you get (if any), advise us for us to help you better. :o

first of all get K-lite codec pack as snlildude87 said. If you still have problems, change your default media player. I had to do that... the picture froze but the sound went on. Then switched to BSPlayer and till this day I've had no problems so far.

This problem can be solved by using Winamp -> http://www.winamp.com/

It has full AVI support and doesn't require any codecs, if it still doesn't work, then your AVI file may be corrupted, in that case, you'll need to get the original version of the file again.