xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JeffS

Paintball

Just for information purposes:

When you go paintballing, you will need your basic gear to be able to play, plus whatever extra things you want to bring to make life easier.

-

Posted Image

One of the most important things that you can bring is your goggle and mask system. This is what will be protecting your eyes and face from the little balls of liquid that will be flying at you at 250+ feet per second. You don't want to risk losing your eyesight if one of these makes contact, so wear these at ALL TIMES in a fire zone. I highly recommend the VForce Armor goggle system as it comes built with an awesome anti-fog coating and is very cheap compared to other name brands.

Posted Image

Another important part of the game would have to be your paintball marker. Without it, you can't play. :)

Popular choices for people jumping into the sport and that I recommend include anything with the Tippmann name on it. The Model 98 and A-5 are great choices for beginners and for seasoned players alike, as they are very reliable, almost indestructible, and great for their price value. People also like to choose Kingman Spyders for jumping into the game as they have more of a speedball look, but I've personally had bad experiences with Spyders and think that they are rather cheap in quality, but that's just me.

With technology advancing in the field, electronic markers are making more of a presence in the starter market and Smart Parts has come up with an interested, rugged electronic marker called the SP-1. (The speedball variant is the Vibe.) That's another gun that I have some experience with, but whether I recommend it highly or not, time will tell.

Posted Image

Most paintball markers require a hopper to help hold a large amount of paintballs and feed it into the marker. In today's day and age, speed wins, and you will see many, many recommendations as far as electronic hoppers go. If you're new to the sport, a gravity-fed hopper will suffice, but if you're one to have an itchy trigger finger and love to rapid-fire, you might want to look into an electronic hopper. I highly recommend the Ricochet AK, as it is a relatively well-priced electronic hopper, works very well, and looks better than the Evolution (which looks like an egg) and isn't overpriced like the Halo that you will hear of ($100+).

Posted Image

Next, you're going to need an air source to power your marker. Most guns work fine with carbon dioxide (CO2), but if you want to keep up as far as consistency goes, compressed air is the way to go. (However, I think most people would be happy with CO2, as it is more difficult to find HPA (high pressure air) tanks for cheap, not to mention find places that will fill them outside of a paintball field.) Walmart now is a vendor for Rhino Air tanks, although I would question the quality of the tank itself. Go with anything by Pure Energy or Crossfire (CO2 or HPA) to get the best bang for your buck.

Posted Image

And finally, make sure to bring paintballs. Without them, you'll just be shooting air and making noise. :D I like recommending RP Scherer's Big Ball, as they are a medium bore paint and go well with most barrels (as accuracy in paintball is best with a good paint-to-barrel match), plus they are rather cheap for decent paint. Anything by RP Scherer is pretty good... but scope out for other brands as well. Paint at Walmart is decent but usually avoided by most for some reason... I used to be one of those guys but now I don't really see why, as the paint might be old but it is being contained in decent conditions. However, do NOT buy Brass Eagle paint as they are known to be bad, not to mention that they are responsible for cracking lenses on goggle systems. (I don't know why... maybe it's just a harder shell?)

-

With those basics, you'll be all set to play paintball! Most fields will let you rent this equipment and buy paint and fill up tanks at their field, but if you're looking to get into the sport, take my recommendations into thought. :D

Posted Image

There are some other things that you might want to take a look at too, like pods and harnesses. If you shoot a lot of paint during games, they'll help you ensure that you have enough paint to be able to reload and get back into the fight! I recommend that you get Dye Lock Lid Pods and the cheap ones you can get at Walmart for a dollar or two apiece. The Dye ones are awesome, but they are a real pain (and loss of $$$) to lose or break. The cheaper ones are prone to opening when you don't want them to, spilling your expensive paintballs everywhere. Your choice on pods.

Posted Image

As far as harnesses to hold them, I can't really recommend anything except that you DON'T go for generic harnesses. They are usually poorly constructed and only hold up for so long, not to mention that the ones I've had experiences with tended to not hold my pods in, letting me lose a pod full of paint in the woods. I have 4+1 harness by NXE which I like so far, but it's up to you and your tastes.

But wait! There are some other things that you will be needing that will make life so much easier on the field...

Wear long-sleeves or extra layers of clothing. Paintballs might hurt, depending on where you get shot. Wear a cup if need be. Depending on where you are shot, the paintball will feel anything like a sharp flick to a sting on bare skin or through thin clothing, and will feel less painful with thicker layers. It's best to play during the fall time when you'll want to wear more layers anyway, but if you play in the summer, remember to drink lots of water. Keep hydrated, even in the winter time!

Bring paper towels and a spray bottle of water. Use it to clean your equipment, your marker, your goggles, etc. after each game.

Bring your tools and extra parts to your gun. You never know if you're going to have problems at the field, even when you've tested it thoroughly the night before.

Bring an extra gun. If you can't get your main rig to work correctly within an hour, jump in with your backup.

Bring O-rings, especially #15. They love to shred and break on you at the worst time, like the ones on CO2 tanks.

I have tried it myself. A very nice game but relatively time consuming. The last time I played it was in a castle-like structure, really fun. How about playing it the Counter Strike way? Haha.