xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

asp and php

Basically, ASP is a proprietary technology from Microsoft that runs natively on IIS/Windows, also, ASP is not a language in itself, you have to code in VBScript or JScript. On the other hand, PHP is open source [that means that you can extend the language writing your own extension, ie: a custom library] and usually runs on Apache web servers. I didn't use ASP so I can't compare it with PHP in terms of which is better and why, but I strongly encourage you to learn PHP, the most obvious and simple reason to choose PHP is that the web is widely dominated by UNIX/Apache [thanks god for that ;)] so PHP becomes the natural option for server-side scripting.

See this thread for some opinions/link about how to learn PHP or this one for some free PHP e-books.

Well, it's possible to run ASP on Apache, but I don't think that it would be logical. (And I don't think that it is what we are talking about ;)) I have tried both ASP and PHP, actualy I'm stuck with PHP and I'm happy about it. ASP is a weapon of choice if we are talking about development on and with M$ software.Anyway, get involved with PHP. You won't regret that.

ASP can be buggy, as it is only checked for bugs by microsoft, unlike php what is open source, so updates are more frequent. I prefer php, as its widly available, and much more stable.Also php is more popular out the of the pro industry.