xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Re-viving my "Filmographies" Topic.

I want some more people to add to any director's filmography. It doesn't even have to be your favourite director,...just one you want to comment on.

James Cameron

The Canadian director from Kapuskasing, Ontario was born on August 14, 1954. After moving to the US in the 1970's he started writing screenplays and then followed this by becoming a miniature-set technician.

He began his directorial career in 1978 with a little known film...

Xenogenesis - 1978

At only 12 minutes long you'd think it was pretty crap, but ah. It contains some shots that would define Cameron's career. He used ideas and shots that would be continuously used in Terminator, Aliens and The Abyss; such as a shot of a man holding a woman with his left arm stripped of the flesh showing mechanical parts underneath. Or his walking robot that his lead female uses to save the day (ahem, Aliens anyone...)

Piranha Part Two: The Spawning - 1981

A quick dip in Cameron's filmography. Personally I'd let him away with it, considering that whilst on set he suddenly rushed back to his trailer and wrote the rough screenplay to the first Terminator flim.

It's actually credited as being directed by Ovidio G. Assonitis, due to his dissatisfaction with Cameron's work on the film; his mind was elsewhere I guess.

The Terminator - 1984

What can you say. Wow...In assosiation with long running cohort Gale Ann Hurd he created one of the most successful film legacies ever. As we all know what the story is (hopefully), I'll just tell you a bit about what is so fascinating about it.

First I have to mention Michael Biehn. He has the real starring role as he has to explain everything to the audience. As I said to Gohst, Cameron has this complicated story to tell about time travelling so that we know what is happening and why. It is not an easy job to do something like that and still come off looking all right. But Biehn is simply awesome in this film, and it's Cameron's first masterstroke.

Next was making the dialogue interesting by having Reece tell it while involved in a high-speed car chase. The highlight of his performance is when Sarah bites him. Biehn replies " Terminator's don't feel pain. I do. Don't do that again. " That is such a great line delivered with the perfect expression, the perfect tone and the perfect timing.

Cameron knew exactly who he was picking for the roles needed, so much so he uses them in nearly all of his films afterwards.

Aliens - 1986

My favorite film...out of my long list of contenders. Please don't ask the exact reason as there are too many to name. It was the first Cameron film I saw at the ripe old age of about 8. (I blame my uncle's video collection and not enough homework). Well my jaw dropped. I'd been used to Bambi and Disney up until this.

The atmosphere and special effects are tremendously good. Even by todays standards; Cameron's miniature experience came to the fore in this film; in his work alongside Robert and Dennis Sotak.

I know this film isn't everyone's cup of tea but hear me out on this. It's the only film with aliens in it that I have taken at complete face value. Star Wars is good, Independence Day is also up there in my top 100, but Aliens kicks *bottom* on so many levels. It truely is believable. It continued the "Dirty" space ideals from Ridley's first film.

The lighting and cinematography and of course the direction are top notch, and some of the scenes are some of the scariest I've seen in my life time. (Even though I wasn't in double figures at the time.) But what puts this movie over the top as one of the all time greatest films ever made is the casting.

Sigourney Weaver is terrific but it is her supporting cast that shines and makes you feel like you know the crew. The casting of the Colonial Marines is so believable. Al Mathews as Apone, the kick *bottom* Sargeant. Gorman the inexperienced Lieutenant; and the real key to the film...Hicks and Hudson. Jesus, what a pair. Biehn as Hicks is absolutely lethal, I run round for the next 3 years dressed as a Marine with Hicks emblazoned on the back shooting off all manner of toy guns . I have to also not forget Bill Paxton, what a *BLEEP*ing (pardon) actor. You can see why Cameron cast him. He plays such a believable role as a scared and nervous Marine. He got some of the best lines, and Cameron is brilliant at this as well...totally conversational scripts that are filled with great dialogue. I'd pick my favorites as Hudson's Dropship speech (only available on the extended verson) and his "17 Days; we aren't going to last 17 hours!" speech. Both were put perfectly.

Finally (I could go on all day here) I love the way everything is so dark; and dank...especially the sweat on the Marines after the first confrontation it just gives the impression of absolute realism. They look like hell...the way they would if it really happened

Abyss - 1989

Personally one of the best films I have ever seen. The storyline, characters, especially the sets and the atmosphere. This is one hell of a movie. Where to begin...Ed Harris, the perfect hard bitten man; sore at being left by his wife, yet still in love with her. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio plays a role much like that of Ripley and Sarah Connor in Cameron's previous flicks; and in a turn of casting Michael Biehn plays the bad guy, which is quite ingenius as his nervous energy (as the bends kick in) provides a very unstable character.

As things kick off a nuclear submarine is grounded by an unknown force, the nearest rescue vessel is the Benthic Explorer; a state of the art underwater oil drilling platform. The military take over the vessel to stage a rescue attempt and utilize the workers onboard. From here; I won't bother to explain/destroy the plot for those who haven't seen it.

The direction techniques are some of the best on an underwater film to date and the layout of the action is tense and dark. You really feel like the pressure of the water is acting on the film, like a big, brooding weight making everything seem so much more claustrophobic than it should. Cameron likes to film his pictures in a deep blue tone which works well with his movies, it adds a certain dire emotion that most other filmmakers can only dream about.

Overall, the sense of foreboding, paranoia and panic are the forefront of this film, Cameron always likes his films to have a point, personally I feel it's a technological concept. In the Terminator films it's man against machine. In Aliens it is the doomed reliance on technology, and in the Abyss it is the breakdown of technology due to the weather. Cameron likes to involve most of his films in this way.

I think I'll watch this again tonight.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - 1991

What could I say about Terminator 2, that hasn't already been said. Well for a start, the father/son storyline does not (against contrary belief) destroy the film, but rather adds to the multitude of sub-plots that circulate around this film. It is the depth of this film that truly makes it great.

Stunning special effects line this film, but don't look over used like some films these days. Infact if T-2 was released today, it would still hold up in the effects department (with only a few little shots needing some touching up). Couple this to one of the most epic and dramatic storylines I've personally ever heard of. Most action films aren't as interesting; don't build up their characters or the story as much as this film. Most interesting films don't have the required action. This list goes on.

The cast returned and the difference it pretty gritty. All of the characters have been improved and added to with the exception of John Connor; and the T-1000 for obvious reasons. It still holds the tension and action from the first film, but skews into a direction that could have made it bomb...but it didn't. The introduction of the new cast members was flawless; Edward Furlong was realistic as the confused John; while like I mentioned in other threads that Robert Patrick's T-1000 is the coolest (and freakiest) bad guy in a film. That unflinching gaze of his, coupled with watching him kick Arnold's *bottom* (even though only half the size) is one of the events I will remember from any movie...for a long time.

Another stunning performance from Cameron's faithful cast...particularly a short scene (only shown in the extended version) involving Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton; where Reese Kyle appears to her in a dream with warning of the future. I know why this was cut (for pacing), but damn it is a very cool addition to the Terminator story. This short scene adds more to my respect for Biehn's acting talent every time I watch it.

An interesting fact perhaps, that the original Terminator film's breakneck speed had the big lumbering Arnold in it as a bad guy; whereas T-2 is a slow moving yet engrossing film with Patrick's sleek and fast bad guy. A small quirk; I thought was pretty funny.

In closing I'd just like to mention that Cameron done everyone a big favour and took everything up a notch with the new longer version, with all the "CPU Replacement" scenes in the garage etc...he done the same with previous movie Aliens adding to it greatly.

True Lies - 1994

(It'll be done tomorrow.)

Titanic - 1997

(Before the end of the week.)

Now...anyone else? ;).