xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Migrating to Linux

I havn't made the switch personally but a couple of my mates have. They are overall happier with the much stabler linux os but are anoyed when they want to use a certain program which isnt compatable with linux.

Here is a site containing some information on migrating from Windows to Linux.

http://www.tomshardware.com/

I tried dual booting with linux and windows before. muzammil has got a point. When you want run a linux system, you're going to have to learn a lot in order to do anything with your system (especially if you're coming off windows). But that's also kind of the reason why linux people know so much about their system, it's because they NEED to know all that stuff just so they can run most of their stuff properly, and do every little thing they want to do. In short, you got a big learning curve.Here are just some of the things to consider when it comes to linux (IMO):There are many distributions of linux (many "flavors"), so choosing just one will be a doozy, unless you go with a major distribution. I've heard Gentoo is pretty good, but again, there's that learning curve. It's stable, but you have to compile most of your stuff in order to achieve that efficiency and stability.The learning curve, and the time it takes out of your life just to learn how to install a freakin program, or play an mp3 (okay, playing an mp3 is actually not that hard, but you get the drift)Not all windows applications are available to you. Although there are some imitation programs, and windows emulations for certain programs.You just might be spending a certain amount of time just tweaking your system so that it runs the right way.The learning curve in trying to figure out the hardware config and stuff.You'll be doing most of your own technical support and troubleshooting.The learning curve.Heheheh, get my point. For you it might be easier, who knows right? I guess I just may be slow, or impatient, or something. But I'd rather not spend too much time trying to figure out all that stuff. I got enough on my plate as it is.Why do you want to migrate over to linux anyway? If I may ask.

Try Knoppix,
you can burn the image to a disk and boot off of it (similiar to
booting off of a floppy). This way you can test/try Linux,
and see if you like it without any big hassle.

;)