xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

RAM difference?

Sorry if this isn't the correct place 2 post this, but can't figure out where to.I've got a Compaq Presario 2568CL, which uses 266Mhz DDR.Locally i haven't been able to find 266Mhz upgrades, namely 512 MB.People assure me that 333Mhz will perform fine, even in a config of 1st chip: 256MB 266Mhz2nd chip: 512 333Mhzany warnings or something they're not telling me, or is it ok?

First of all, RAM will run at the speed of the slowest stick.If a stick is at a faster speed than your computer supports, it just wont run at the speed it was meant to. Computers like Compaq's are normally cheap and are picky with RAM, however.

Hey... um... what is a good amount of RAM? I thought mine had 124MB RAM, but when my friend said that he has 666 (ebil) MB RAM, I thought twice... (My computer is good, and his is *BLEEP*) What is a good amount? i see one with about 500mb ram for about $400... i thought it was good... not so sure now though :?

Hey... um... what is a good amount of RAM? I thought mine had 124MB RAM, but when my friend said that he has 666 (ebil) MB RAM, I thought twice... (My computer is good, and his is *BLEEP*) What is a good amount? i see one with about 500mb ram for about $400... i thought it was good... not so sure now though :?

It depends on what you are doing.

For basic stuff, word processing and internet on an Older OS (MacOS 9 and lower, Windows 2000 and lower) 128 is probably enough, if you are running OS X or XP you will probably need 256 to cover. Then if you do any sort of gaming/graphical work/sound editing you will definitely want more. About 512 for gaming, photoshop, or basic sound, and more and more as you use more complex things.

well, as said, the RAM with the lowest frequency will be the one used. THe recommended RAM for me is 512MB, which will be enough for most applications, but if you want performance, try to upgrade to 1GB. :lol:I think a 512MB stick of RAM costs roughly within $100 (which is a good brand)

And Dual Channel configs are usually a LOT faster than their single-channel counterparts. Running 2 x Corsair DDR333 Value Select 256MB here... I believe they have CL2.5 but I'm not sure. But they're darn fast!

Ram is acctually much more complicated than what is mentioned here as there are alot things to consider like the speed, timings and so on. For your setup, you could get ddr266,333,400 but its not gonn make the machine any faster. the new ram you buy will be set slower to run at 266 along with the other ram, so you can basically buy any ddr ram as 266 is the slowest ddr afaik.What you could also do is just take it a pc shop, tell em you wat 512mb memory for the machine and have em do it.Good luck and I hope you get it right! :D