xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lunaray

For All Guitarists Out There... When did you start learning to play it?

Right now i'm nearly 15 and i'm planning to start learning classical guitar at the end of october, and possibly progressing to electric next year... So, i'm just wondering the average age when people start to learn guitar... I suppose i'm quite old to start learning to play.

Right now i'm nearly 15 and i'm planning to start learning classical guitar at the end of october, and possibly progressing to electric next year... So, i'm just wondering the average age when people start to learn guitar... I suppose i'm quite old to start learning to play.

No, you aren't so old. You can learn at any age, you just have to put effort into it. I'm 16, and just learning to play. I have an electric guitar.
~Puppy :(

actually there's no age requirement for learning guitar.. the only thing is just your willingness and determintaion to learn...In my case, i learn to play guitar when I was 16 until the time comes that the guitar is destroyed.. and so id stop playing it.. after a years later, my inspirations to play again guitar had come out but badly as I was try to play.... whew.. damn my ability to transfer chords gone.. my fingers easily sick *BLEEP* :(..so i suggest you guys.. just keep on playing..

Right, Dee. You do need determination and of course you should be willing to learn. I have been "learning" for a while, but I am willing to learn so eventually I hope to be able to play well. You should try to play some more. Maybe that ability will somehow return...~Puppy :(

Nah, you're never to old to learn how to play guitar, I started when I was 15 aswell so I've been playing for a year now, it's a great instrument to play and it's not too hard either so yeah, as long as you enjoy it and have the time for it then it shouldnt be any problem :(

i m 14, and i cant say that i m a pro, but i m pretty good, ... i just play heavy metal by the way, but i started with classic ...

Nah, you're never to old to learn how to play guitar...

I have to disagree there, if you are old and have bad arthritis, I doubt you could learn to play guitar very well. Or if you had alzheimer's...
I've been playing since grade 5, i'm now in grade 12. I started with classical, then moved onto electric as soon as possible. I've stuck with the electric for about 6 years now, but plan on investing in a nice steel-string acoustic soon.

I have to disagree there, if you are old and have bad arthritis, I doubt you could learn to play guitar very well. Or if you had alzheimer's...
I've been playing since grade 5, i'm now in grade 12. I started with classical, then moved onto electric as soon as possible. I've stuck with the electric for about 6 years now, but plan on investing in a nice steel-string acoustic soon.

Well, if someone has bad arthritis, they shouldn't be trying to learn anyways. What I mean is, it is just as possible to learn at age 30 as it is at age 8. But I've heard it said that people learn better at a young age. I guess it just depends on the person. I started at 15, pushed it aside for a few months, and now want to take it up again.

~Puppy :(

And you can't teach an old dog new tricks :(

Hey, I was only 14 when I started learing to play. Now I'm 15 and its been about a year since I started. You're definately not too old. You could start at the age of 80 and still not be too old. I guess determination is all that really matters when learning something new. :(