xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

How to install phpBB

Installing phpBB is easy!

1. Quick Install

If you have basic knowledge of using FTP and are sure your hosting service or server will run phpBB 2 you can use these steps to quickly get started. For a more detailed explanation you should skip this and go to section 2 below.

Decompress the phpBB 2 archive to a local directory on your system.

Upload all the files contained in this archive (retaining the directory structure) to a web accessible directory on your server or hosting account.

Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)

Using your web browser visit the location you placed phpBB 2 with the addition of install/install.php, e.g. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ etc.

Fill out all the requested information and hit Submit

Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable only by yourself (644 or -rw-r--r-- within your FTP Client)

Click the Complete Installation button or revisit the location you entered above.

phpBB 2 should now be available, please MAKE SURE you read at least Section 8 below for important, security related post-installation instructions.

When you download phpBB you should find a docs folder included. It is recommended for you to read that.

The file you'll want to read is install.html

Thanks.....realyI need to try it when I get the hosting provided by FNH. Im trying to create a fundation for peopple that need help in some areas like education, alimentation, work, etc...Sorry... my english is no good, I know it.

when I was accepted to this server ( freenukehosting.com ) I opened my FTP program, loggin, and I deleted all files. And than I uploaded phpbb forum. Now, when I'm trying to install it. My explorer show msg: "404 not found".

when I was accepted to this server ( freenukehosting.com ) I opened my FTP program, loggin, and I deleted all files. And than I uploaded phpbb forum. Now, when I'm trying to install it. My explorer show msg: "404 not found".

That wasn't a very bright thing to do. You have to put all the fiels you want publicly visible inside the pulic_html folder. Since you deleted it, the dynamic links have been destroyed, and there's nothing you can do about that. Creating a new public_html won't help. I would suggest you get your account deleted, then re-created. It's the easiest way.