xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

uploading webpages

Okay I think this is a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway because I cannot figure it out...

Where do I upload my webpages? Do I upload my index.html page directly to the folder I am brought to when I sign in to my FTP program or file manager? Beacause thata what I did, but then when i went to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ it brought me to a bunch of folders and not my main page.

Also, there were many folders and files in the FTP program and in the file manager when I signed in. Can I delete those or are they necessary?

Any files that you want to be visible should go into your public_html folder. That's the folder you're looking at when you go to your site. :)

xolmwox, Great to have you here at FNH :)

I would recomand a program called http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ it's very easy and works great!

this program will help you upload all your files. Under the public_html (likeCodeFX, said) there is a folder for everything. Like this. Your going to want to add your blocks to the block folder, your themes to the themes folder...etc. it's not hard but if you have any other questions or need more detail just let us know 8)

great, I got it all set now! thank you so much!just wondering, what are blocks, themes, etc?I just make my websites on my computer with notepad and upload them, I just don't know what the rest of these folders are forcan I delete the folders like _vti_bin and cgi-bin or are they needed?

oh ok, if you've already built your site on your computer, then don't worry about the blocks themes...etc. do me a favor and take a screen shot of the folders your talking about and post it here. How to take a screen shot...1. press the prt scr button on your keyboard (if you have a full size keyboard it's going to be above your arrows) 2. then go in to paint3. go to edit4. paste5. save as (JPEG)6. upload it to a website and post it here.If you can't or don't know how to upload it to awebsite email it to Wind90Mph@gmail.com and I'll post it here for everyone to see. 8) and help you out 8)

Posted Image

I just don't know what all those folders are for. Some of those folders also contain folders.Do I need them? [except in the first image radio.blog is mine ]

not in the picture..

and I know know what public_html is for, but do I need any of the other folders in the main directory?

yes, I would keep them just incase. unless someone else says other wise, I would think that if you delete those folders you might delete somthing you want 8) any objections?