xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

FNH Rise or fall

Hi guys,Ive noticed a slight decline in active posters on the FNH forums, Is there any reason for this?And also ive noticed lots of newbies spamming the forums with post like "hello" "im new" "WTF"Can we control this :?:

Yeah I see a lot of simple threads of trying to get (5) posts for free hosting.And I agree with you Djbungle about the newbies spamming in the forums like you said. We need more quality posts by them.

I think the posts necessary to request should be upped.  To say, 25...  And they have to be posts with some content.

Hmm im not to sure on that!
If FNH upp`ed it 25 post before you can apply for free hosting their would be even more newbies spamming the forums.
And as for the content! How would you define a good post between a spam?
What i mean is everybody has there own take on life, and "hopefully" have there own mind. How could you possibly decide that without being predjudice..

"my spelling bad i know"

Well, you couldn't really do it by content, without a person reading each post. However, there are filters which only add a post to the post total if there are a certain number of characters in the post. This works somewhat, but can cause a bunch of people to complain about it.Another thing you could do would be to implement a function that would allow mods/admins to raise/lower a users posts, without having to go to the ACP to do that. Say, put a link under the username on each post, which would allow the mod/admin to lower the post count by one. Then, whenever a mod or admin comes across a post which is spam or uselessness, they could decrease the post count, and the user wouldn't get credit for it.

The host i tryed for b for FNH u had to post 100 b 4 u could apply, and they had a good thing goin on, people that just wanted to use the server left, and dedicated people stayed, i made it up to about 85 posts, and gave up... but if fnh keeps going the way it is, i might go back and continue :? :P

Another thing you could do would be to implement a function that would allow mods/admins to raise/lower a users posts, without having to go to the ACP to do that.  Say, put a link under the username on each post, which would allow the mod/admin to lower the post count by one.  Then, whenever a mod or admin comes across a post which is spam or uselessness, they could decrease the post count, and the user wouldn't get credit for it.

Another way this could be done is by implementing a "Karma" system that other webboards use (I think UBB and YaBB have it and IPB has a form of it), where admins and mods can raise/lower a rating everyone can see.

There exist a couple mods to do it, but all the ones I have seen allow users to adjust other posters karma. I wrote one that only lets admins and mods do it, but I don't think I have the source any more.

Who willmake sure newbies don't spam? I know admin can only do so much. I think there are bigger issues at hand. Raising the ammount of posts will only make spamming get worse. Some newbies don't know anything about programming or whatever. Can you really expect usefull posts by them?

In my opinion newbies only can apply to FNH accounts after like 5days active on the forum,regardless of the post count,they need to post for five days no matter how much they post and the content of each post should be something usefull.The topic "requesting FNH account"should only be active after five days users registered... with this proceidure ADMIN will have more time to setup new accounts and the forum will not be spammed, i think...How about that?regs,

Hi guys,Ive noticed a slight decline in active posters on the FNH forums, Is there any reason for this?
And also ive noticed lots of newbies spamming the forums with post like "hello"  "im new"    "WTF"

I think you answered your own question there!

And as for the content! How would you define a good post between a spam?  What i mean is everybody has there own take on life, and "hopefully" have there own mind. How could you possibly decide that without being predjudice..

I don't think most newbies set out with the intention to spam. They are
simply too lazy to read the rules and look around to get the feeling,
before they start to post.

Well, you couldn't really do it by content, without a person reading each post. However, there are filters which only add a post to the post total if there are a certain number of characters in the post.

So "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
would count as a quality post?

Another way this could be done is by implementing a "Karma" system that other webboards use (I think UBB and YaBB have it and IPB has a form of it), where admins and mods can raise/lower a rating everyone can see.

Yeah, but that would also leave admins/mods open to favouritism.

The people who create accounts will always look at there posts. If they are spam, the will reject the request.

Unfortunately sometimes it takes so long from request to creation, that a person have much more than 5 posts. And admin is not going back to see if that person started out as a spammer.

As I see it, the only way is to limit the forums the can participate in,
initially and then someone check their postings and write a review for
admin, in their request!