xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

is xp crap?

I don't mind XP. It does make some things very easy and quick. However, when it comes to doing anything where you really have to watch your memory usage it falls apart quickly. But these days, anything I'm writing that is memory intensive ... Unix is first choice.

The drivers? Actually Windows XP doesn't require a lot of drivers. I've plugged in several USB keys, a Wacom, and a scanner (not all at the same time) -- out of all those, the only one that needed to install anything is one of the USB keys, and that was only to install software for encryption.
If the desktops between the systems have different functions, then they really can't be compared.

For Windows F11 resizes the current window to fit the whole screen. The default is that you hit one button on the Quick Launch and all the windows are minimized. If I really wanted to I could set a hotkey, but I rarely ever use it.

Is there anything like exposč that instead of tiling windows it actually replicates what was in the screen shot?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you're asking if you can take a screenshot, yes, you only need to press Print Screen.
As far as Macs, I believe I've only used OS 9/8, but not for very many functions. As far as Windows I've used 98 (eh, somewhat decent), ME (total junk), 2000 (better than 98 and ME, could use some improvement), and XP (easier to use than 2000 with more features - thank god for System Restore).

I think what he's talking about, is a feature in Mac OS X that's kind like the task manager in windows that lets you switch between applications, or the Alt-tab key-combo to switch between apps (I think apple-tab is the mac equivalent). The difference between the windows version and the Mac version is that the Mac brings up a screen with thumbnails (or just miniaturized versions) of all the current applications you you have open. Graphically, it's pretty cool. I'm an XP user, but was impressed when I saw my friend use it. And yes, there is software made for Windows that can do the same thing. But no, I don't really care to use it, since I get around my system just fine with what I have (task manager, process control, performance monitoring, alt-tab switching, and the task bar). Each system has it's own way of getting things done, and I understand this.

As for:

The quick launch is still just plan not as good, in my opinion, as a nice OS X dock.

Okay, now you're just getting nit-picky. The mac dock and the windows taskbar pretty much do the same thing. When I get on a Windows machine, i'm fine with using the taskbar and quicklaunch bar without much complaints. It's good for what it does. When I get on a mac, I'm also perfectly fine with using the dock, as it pretty much does the same thing, which is to get me to the program I want to use.

I dont' try to modify one OS's interface to mimmick and look like the others, because I really don't feel I need to since they do their jobs pretty well. So stardock and mobydock are just gimmicks to me. Useless gimmicks. If I wanted to use a dock like the ones they are trying to emulate, it would be better just to get on a mac.

These OS's have their place. I use windows for most of my daily stuff, and it's good. I know what to expect of it, and it does what I want it to. Although if I had a good Power Mac G5, I'd totally use it for my graphics stuff. I still wouldn't trash my PC though.

I think what he's talking about, is a feature in Mac OS X that's kind like the task manager in windows that lets you switch between applications, or the Alt-tab key-combo to switch between apps (I think apple-tab is the mac equivalent).  The difference between the windows version and the Mac version is that the Mac brings up a screen with thumbnails (or just miniaturized versions) of all the current applications you you have open.  Graphically, it's pretty cool.  I'm an XP user, but was impressed when I saw my friend use it.  And yes, there is software made for Windows that can do the same thing.  But no, I don't really care to use it, since I get around my system just fine with what I have (task manager, process control, performance monitoring, alt-tab switching, and the task bar).  Each system has it's own way of getting things done, and I understand this.

Apple's Page About Exposè It isn't quite the same as alt-tab switch which does exist as command-tab in OSX. It is actually very useful if you are working in a multi-window project as it allows you to quickly go between windows even if you want to get to the very bottom one.

As for:

The quick launch is still just plan not as good, in my opinion, as a nice OS X dock.

Okay, now you're just getting nit-picky. The mac dock and the windows taskbar pretty much do the same thing. When I get on a Windows machine, i'm fine with using the taskbar and quicklaunch bar without much complaints. It's good for what it does. When I get on a mac, I'm also perfectly fine with using the dock, as it pretty much does the same thing, which is to get me to the program I want to use.

This was just my opinion. My other problem is with how windows handles multiple windows within a program. If I have two windows of Firefox open I have two entries for Firefox both in the taskbar and in the task manager. Whereas, the two open Firefox windows in OS X just have a single little triangle in under the dock's icon. But again this is just my opinion.

These OS's have their place.  I use windows for most of my daily stuff, and it's good.  I know what to expect of it, and it does what I want it to.  Although if I had a good Power Mac G5, I'd totally use it for my graphics stuff.  I still wouldn't trash my PC though.

One of the other reasons I like macs is how long they last. My G3 from 1998 can still run Panther, can run all but the most graphically intensive games (mainly because of the lack of an AGP slot, but heck Maya PLE runs fine on it), and is still useful for everything I need. While a Sawtooth or Quicksilver G4 (or a G5) would be nice I don't need them to be able to have a good mac. My experiences with PCs is the complete opposite. Their hardware is generally not as good as apple's and requires more servicing than a Mac's, and software developers are generally more willing to abandon older PCs, while legacy mac users (68k macs are still used by a large number of people) can be assured of having supported systems for at least 6 or 7 years into the future.[/code]

Microsoft is a facist company. I hate them.

Hmm... yeah. Facist companies always give the BIGGEST DONATION EVER to Aids charities in Africa.

honestly, windows xp isn't crap, IF you have a system which can handle it, for slower systems i recommend windows 2000 w/ all the skinning and extra services disabled/removed. it all depends on how you maintain your system i guess, i haven't had windows crash in a REAL long time and i leave my system on 24/7, rebooting almost once a week.

honestly, windows xp isn't crap, IF you have a system which can handle it, for slower systems i recommend windows 2000 w/ all the skinning and extra services disabled/removed. it all depends on how you maintain your system i guess, i haven't had windows crash in a REAL long time and i leave my system on 24/7, rebooting almost once a week.

Yay another way OS X is better, even 7 and 8 year old Macs can run it well.

no it is not crap, I dont agree. it is stable enough now and many features. most of users stll use windows xp. linux is for more professional ppl.

if you are asking the question is XP crap? I'm sorry to inform you that it is most certainly not! Crap is a substance that comes out of ones rear end. XP is an operating system, that doesn't come out of ones rear end, well not as far as I know. The possibility of the bum computer isn't far away!!

Xp is not crap. It makes your life much easier, especially when u use ur comp for just gaming and stuff like that. But i agree that xp would suck, in case it was used for a server.

i can't bother post a story now. Simple it's an ok OS but needs some extra programs. Though i would suggest double OS winXPSP1 and lINux. i PREfer SUSE.