xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Wireless-N Is Comming Soon (802.11n)

Wireless-N (802.11n)

Is suppose to come out in 2006, and it from what I've heard is like a mile of range with 108+mbs and some other cool stuff... It is hard to find info on it right now, but it is pretty cool... They have pre-n out right now, but it isn't the real thing...

802.11n

In January 2004 IEEE announced that it had formed a new 802.11 Task Group (TGn) to develop a new amendment to the 802.11 standard for local-area wireless networks. The actual data throughput will be at least 100 Mbit/s (which may require an even higher raw data rate at the PHY level), and so up to 45 times faster than 802.11a or 802.11g, and perhaps 20 times faster than 802.11b. As projected, 802.11n will also offer a greater operating distance than current 802.11 networks. The standardization process is expected to be completed by the end of 2006.

802.11n builds upon previous 802.11 standards by adding MIMO (multiple-input multiple-output) antenna techniques. These additional transmitter and receiver antennas allow for increased data throughput and greater range by exploiting the multipath electromagnetic waves propagation (a.k.a "spatial multiplexing" or "spatial diversity").

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11 )

Not for "advertising" purpose, but here is a pre-n site:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

1 mile range?  
So, instead of your neighbor ripping off your cable conn, now everyone in a mile's range can.

haha... yea, so basiclly just wait another year for more people to get this, then get a wifi finder (like $30) to make sure its available, then get a network card and get hooked up! Haha.

So, instead of your neighbor ripping off your cable conn, now everyone in a mile's range can.

That's really the only reason I don't want to have a wireless LAN in my house, but you can adjust the range of those things, can't you? If that feature isn't available, it should be. o_o

2006 ? Well add a few years of compatibility enhancment ... Because the G standard isn't YET fully compatible as the B (it propably works indoor , but outdoor , in a city full of signal noise) .... There is a lot of unofficial manufacturers which are placing the [wifi] logo on their products totaly unlegal , and here is the problem with uncompitability.... So , because i'm a moderator of a wireless network and cause I know the good and the bad sides of it ... I think cable is still the best , and will stay the best for a while ...I think wireless is a very good inovative way of connection if there is no such signal noise on the teritory .... But when there's 3 different transmiters on the top of the same building with an 1 W amplifier ... huh man ... i'm sorry for the people living in that building :D [sorry for my bad english , i'm out of shape , i don't speak it often] :P

It has wep... Yes you can crack it, but it is still hard... It is cool when you can be someware far away wih your laptob and still be on the internet...

I dont see any real need for this technology...mabye if i didnt already have a wireless network i would get it...but its the same reason why gigabit wired isnt popular in homes yet...