xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Does anyone play Marathon

I was wondering if anyone still played Marathon here. I finally got Infinity after bungie released the games as freeware and am now looking to play someone online. I can't quite figure the necessarily settings with my router and firewall out so help there would also be appriciated.

What is Marathon?

One of Bungie's (company that made Halo) early games, around 1995 i think.

It is a FPS with poor graphics, but an awesome story and excellent multiplayer.

it is now free with the game engine and data are freely availible, with Bungie's blessing, at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

Do you have windows?

If so download the Aleph One engine from the link.

Then download either the Marathon 2 demo (2 was the only one that ever came out for windows and I don't think they are finishes porting the recently released full versions) or get a marathon Senario from FileBall (make sure it is an SDL version). I suggest M1A1 as that is the first part of the marathon series.

Then decompress both files and put them all in the same folder and run the Aleph One Application. I have no idea how to get a network game going on windows all my atempts have failed.

If you are on a Mac (and have Panther), like me,

Download the newest nightly build from the link on source.bungie.org (it is stable) and then download One of the Full verison games. (I don't know if Marathon 1 works with Aleph One). And replace the appliactions in those folders with Aleph One.

If you want to play multiplayer with a Mac point iChat to the AIM room Aleph one, or an IRC client to irc.freenode.net /join #alephone. If I am on I'll be hosting games on my 4mb connection.