xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

how to host?

I am using cable high speed internet and it's pretty fast. I was wondering if I could run my own hosting server using my pc and without buying a valid ip address from my isp. Is this possible?

If your internet connection isnt an optical carrier (OC) then theres not much use.

you cannot decide it just like that. maybe connection above 384Kbps is enaugh for a n00b to try private hosting/server.

mehrdad;

if you want to use those dot.com, then try http://www.noip.com/. this enable you to have domain name eventhough you didnt have static ip address.

Although you can download fast, your upload speed is very slow compared to it unless you happen to have a symmetric line (pretty unlikely). It can be done though, and for regular webpages it doesn't look too slow. If you want to host larger files, though, this will suck. To do this, I'd go to http://freedns.afraid.org/ and sign up. Make a domain that points to your current IP. If it changes a lot, I'd DL one of their auto-update progs, although I use one from http://www.noip.com/. If you run Windows, you can use IIS which comes built in XP (Pro only I think), but I'd recommend Apache (httpd.apache.org). It's pretty easy if you just google around for "wampserver" or something of the like. This has Apache, PHP, and MySQL and automatically sets them up so they are ready for use. After that, you can type in your public IP or afraid.org domain and reach the default page. From the comp being used as a server, you can just type "localhost" to see the default domain. Can't think of anything else you need, but if so, just let us know.

Hmmm :: good :: I have a typical cnnction :: My ISP gives me good upload speed [upto 1 MBPS] :: But limited download speed :: Best for the things ^^ u have said here I think :D Thanx :mrgreen:

WOW! Lots of Indians are coming here nowadays.BTW saptam, which internet connection in India gives you a speed of 1 MBPS? Can you tell me its name and cost? (obviously in rupees)

WOW! Lots of Indians are coming here nowadays.BTW saptam, which internet connection in India gives you a speed of 1 MBPS? Can you tell me its name and cost? (obviously in rupees)

Hi hpforums,
Well actually my ISP is my local cable operator under Allied Broadband services :D ... They give me cnnction via 24online client which has no upload bandwidth restriction policy [the version they use] :( ... So I get biiiiig upload speed .... I get more than 512 kbps while upload some e-mail attach ment to rediff ... In avg. I can get easily 256 kbps or more upload speed :wink: >> But I have limited dload speed ..currently upto 128 kbps >>> All for Rs. 500/- a month ... unlimted usage/hours through out the month :mrgreen:

P.S. -- Are bhai tumi siliguri thako ?? ... kon jaigai .. Okhane kmon thanda akhon ?? :(

Not sure if there is a demo, but I do know that it is for Linux. You can see if Plesk or Ensim works with Windows, but they cost $$$. ZPanel is free and for windows, but I don't think it compares to Cpanel. Check it out though.