xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

TECHNO

Tomy, dont use capital letters so much.Also, techno is not a good thing "thud thud thud" no no. There is a man called Richard D. James who uses the popular name Aphex Twin to release music. It is all electronic and I urge you to try some as it would show you that electronic music is not just brainless repetitive "thud thud thud thud" all day long.

Gohst:You seem knowledgeable in the subject.,could you explain/describe some of the main flavors of electronic music to a newbie???Thanks

Oh golly gee wizz. Don't ask me hard questions will you?Well, basically electronic music is... well if you want to be technical its anything. Electric guitars are electronic, but usually it is defind when there is no actual person playing the music. Like if its automated. For example a standard drum machine would constitute an electronic instrument where it can stand on its own and continue to play.Most of what is described as electronic music is pretty formulaic, for example, picture a disco scene in your head. Perople dancing, strobe lights etc. if there is music playing in this scene is is probably straight "techno" or "dance music".However there have been people who saw this type of music and wanted the opportunity to use it for good, not for evil. There are two main branches that come from this. Both can be categorised under the one heading of "Intellegent Dance Music" or IDM for short. Now IDM is a type of electronic music which can be summed up as made with mechanics but not in standard 4/4 time of a disco hit. Meaning basically, it is great electronic music to listen to, but next to impossible to dance to.The person who is widely responsible for this is Richard D. James, better known in the music industry as "Aphex Twin" his style of electronic music usually samples absolutely anything then compresses it changes it manipulates it and has unweildy out of place samples groove cuts and breaks constantly through out his songs.A good example would be "Mount St. Michael + Saint Michaels Mount" I suggest you try and find this track. Other more common tracks are "Windowlicker" and "Come To Daddy" both have videos directed by Chris Cunningham and both are pretty wild stuff.But anyway the other type of music to come from this electronic hub bub is "ambient" which is anything that glides across your brain and ears with no sudden jarring discomfort and definately no thudding repetitive drill of a bass drum from a disco. Usually ambient comes with soothing female vocals to accompany and whisk you away to a comfy dreamland. Bands like this are "Air", "Portishead" and "M?m". Many others can be found by looking or asking someone like myself.If there is anything more you need to know about what I have written or anything you fell I have left out, do not hesitate to ask.

Dark ambient is a favorite of mine.. it focuses on the darker worlds which are created inside your mind, intention of fear, horror and the like. evil dreamscape is what I like to link it to. there are a lot of ambient/dark ambient/noise signed under Projekt records (ie steve roach) good stuff

LISTEN TO TECHNO GOOD THING, NO TIME FOR JUNK MUSIC visit digitallyimported.com for radio!!!

Sorry, why I never like techno... would some1 xplain me... :D

Oh golly gee wizz. Don't ask me hard questions will you?

Well, basically electronic music is... well if you want to be technical its anything. Electric guitars are electronic, but usually it is defind when there is no actual person playing the music. Like if its automated. For example a standard drum machine would constitute an electronic instrument where it can stand on its own and continue to play.

Most of what is described as electronic music is pretty formulaic, for example, picture a disco scene in your head. Perople dancing, strobe lights etc. if there is music playing in this scene is is probably straight "techno" or "dance music".

However there have been people who saw this type of music and wanted the opportunity to use it for good, not for evil. There are two main branches that come from this. Both can be categorised under the one heading of "Intellegent Dance Music" or IDM for short. Now IDM is a  type of electronic music which can be summed up as made with mechanics but not in standard 4/4 time of a disco hit. Meaning basically, it is great electronic music to listen to, but next to impossible to dance to.

The person who  is widely responsible for this is Richard D. James, better known in the music industry as "Aphex Twin" his style of electronic music usually samples absolutely anything then compresses it changes it manipulates it and has unweildy out of place samples groove cuts and breaks constantly through out his songs.

A good example would be "Mount St. Michael + Saint Michaels Mount" I suggest you try and find this track. Other more common tracks are "Windowlicker" and "Come To Daddy" both have videos directed by Chris Cunningham and both are pretty wild stuff.

But anyway the other type of music to come from this electronic hub bub is "ambient" which is anything that glides across your brain and ears with no sudden jarring discomfort and definately no thudding repetitive drill of a bass drum from a disco. Usually ambient comes with soothing female vocals to accompany and whisk you away to a comfy dreamland. Bands like this are "Air", "Portishead" and "Múm". Many others can be found by looking or asking someone like myself.

If there is anything more you need to know about what I have written or anything you fell I have left out, do not hesitate to ask.

If you've ever heard "Don't Be Light" by Air, you wouldn't be so quick to classify them as ambient. Yes, most of their works ARE ambient, but they have a few faster songs thrown into the mix that sets them apart from the ambient genre.

Anyway, as for this topic. I used to listen to really mainstream techno, and every once in a while I still get the insane urge to make my head burst open like a fruit thrown from a tenth story window.

:]

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule. Listen to the two songs "Come To Daddy" and "Avril 14th" by Aphex Twin then you will see artists are allowed to change genres. However I was going by generalisation for the sake of an easy explianation. The songs "All I Need" and "Playground Love" come to mind when thinking of Air so its not hard to classify them as ambient. Also "Sexy Boy" is another famous one by them that is clearly ambient. As I said before, there are exceptions to every rule.If there was a movie set in Vietnam in the 70's with a guy in the US Army and bombs were exploding and he was shooting people, but near the end he fell in love with a young Vietnamese girl, you wouldn't call it a romance movie. Because the main focus is actually on the war. Do you see what I am getting at here?Thanks for your input anyways. Because it shows that electronic artist are not as constrained or limited to genres as most 'normal' bands are. Such as Blink 182 who are constantly stuck repeating themselves, electronic music bends itself constantly towards experimentation. Which means, usually there is something brand new that no one has ever heard before due to the ever widening experimentation that happens constantly.

The stuff that people play in their cars and drive down the street really fast with lights underneath... that is insulting to music... but read the posts above (wish we got money back when I typed that out, boy I tell ya) but anyway you'll find music made with machines can be really really good. Also, I will add, in interviews TISM pointed out that they made and entirely electronic album. They said that every instrument used on the album had to be plugged in.

Vocal trance is my favorite. One of the best music forms out there I think

Yes i would agree a few years ago, now they just seem to cover 80`s pop hits..