xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

The Lord Of The Rings: Battle For Middle Earth

Right, I'm a strategy game man, now for some time I've been dreaming for someone to kick Age Of The Empire's *bottom* so badly with a utterly epic strategy game; because lets face it...nothing kicks more *bottom* than a completely epic game.

What's the problem? Whenever someone brings out a new strategy game; it's crap because it has some fatal flaw, like a crappy unit limit...or crap AI...or the best one ever hardly any variety of things to build.

I found no strategy game to be better than Total Annihilation, the game is brilliant. So recently I've been looking at all these films that could pan out into amazing strategy games if done right...Terminator; take one map of LA, blow it up, and have a nice massive future war against SkyNet...that can't be flawed. The only other main contender was a possible Lord Of The Rings game; when I heard this was coming out I nearly wet myself...but then I thought of how crap they would make it. It's a curse, strategy game developers who go mental and leave out good things,...add in stupid etc...

Well...pardon my french here admin's but *BLEEP* Me!

What an amazing game, graphically and it's gameplay. Anyone who has the game and has any doubts as to it's brilliance. Wait till the Helm's Deep level. Damn it was fine. As you go through the game you can win points increasing the unit limit. I felt good going into the battle having amassed an army of about 275 Rohan Cavalry; well that went out the window in about two seconds.

Anyone who has watched the films would know that Eomer and Gandalf don't come till the end of the battle. I on the other hand forgot. :lol:

It was a perfectly designed level, everything was there..the Hornburg; the bridge and the gate, not to mention the good ol' Deeping Wall. Oh and Aragon, Legolas, Gimli and Co...against about 600-700 advancing Orcs. Basically you had to churn out archers, then place them around the wall and keep, and hope to god you survived till Gandalf arrived.

It was so like the movie it was uncanny, they went for the gate...scaled the walls, and of course blew up the Deeping Wall. It was so realistic (in terms of how like the film it was) it was unbelievable. I felt like I was in the movie. (Sad as this may sound, at one point I was screaming at the screen to fall back inside the Hornburg.)

When one wave of Orcs were settled, the next 200 or so just poured on into the level. Never have I seen a game with so much *BLEEP* happening all at once. For lack of a better word it was cool. This is by far one of the best games I have ever played for the sheer enjoyment and atmosphere it creates. Having finished off the level (By riding out of the Keep with my remaining horsemen just like the film) I suddenly realised I had about 2/3 of the game still to go.

It was then that the Battle of Minas Tirth sprang to mind. Is it wishful thinking that the developers have completely recreated the 7 levels of The White City; because if they have...and it's in the detail of the Helm's Deep level, I'll not be out of the house for a while as this game is class...

(Kudos for reading all that lads...sorry I just got carried away with it. :D)

Total Annihilation was 1 of the greatest statagy games ever. Playing lan or online is nuts. Awsome game. I just started playing LOTR Battle For Middle Earth. The graphics are that amazing but its pretty good. I gonna keep playing.

Just finished the Minas Tirth level, it was mental. Same setup as Helm's Deep; it gave you about 6 minutes till the 2500 Orcs and various other crap arrived and you have to defend the city. Damn cool. I was simply lapping up the carnage.Particularly good level detail, although I would have liked to have been able to fall back further into Minas Tirth rather than just the second level; but it's no big deal. Also the AI is showing serious promise compared to other games. At all times during the battle there are plenty of opponents on screen. It seems that the units on screen are always at a maximum, so it never looks like the attackers are losing numbers as the battle progresses...only towards the end (as you've killed all but about 100 of them) does it let up. I think the way it works is that as you kill Orcs etc...the game replaces them automatically from the pool of about 2500 that are in reserve. Not to mention the various other gits that show up at random. Like those Oliphant things... :D Indeed; I remember fondly playing Total Annihilation online for hours at a time HeLLSaTaN,...great stuff. I was member of about 10 different gaming communities at the time. Although I remember one of the best I played on being "GBA" or something like that? Global...something or other? Ever heard of it?Anyhow...good hunting with the game. I'm very satisfied; for once...

What's up...maybe I can help?Minas Tirth is a good level as you can go about it many ways due to the upper level you can retreat to.What are your starting forces? The units carry over from the last level in Cair Andros I think. I was using 25 Gondorian Knights, 25 Gondorian Soldiers, 10 Tower Guards, 50 Archers, plus Gandalf, Faramir and Boromir (You get the chance to save him in the game.). What I do is get everyone inside except the Knights; I sacrifice them so I can get more Archers as they die :D. Pity. I build nothing but farms except on the upper level where I build a Trebuchet workshop and an Archery. Then it's a case of setting all your archers in strategic positions and getting Trebuchets up on the walls as well as those static ones/guard towers to help out.I mainly concentrate on the gate at all times having Faramir's eagle eye shot and Gandalf's lightning blasts close at hand to fire from the two parapets at either side of the gate. The rest of the archers scattered around the walls usually stand up well to the seige machines. But you just have to be careful. My main recommendation is if there are Gondorian Horsemen at the start, ditch them...having a solid defense on the wall works better; waiting out the attack till Eomer and Aragorn arrive.Dunno if that was any help l33tg33k...

you think helms deep is best, you didnt play Minas Thirith eh! that was very very cool, i have the maps for online 2 very cool, you should try Helms Deep V2.0! you have 1500 command points :D

What's up...maybe I can help?
Minas Tirth is a good level as you can go about it many ways due to the upper level you can retreat to.

What are your starting forces? The units carry over from the last level in Cair Andros I think. I was using 25 Gondorian Knights, 25 Gondorian Soldiers, 10 Tower Guards, 50 Archers, plus Gandalf, Faramir and Boromir (You get the chance to save him in the game.). What I do is get everyone inside except the Knights; I sacrifice them so I can get more Archers as they die :D. Pity. I build nothing but farms except on the upper level where I build a Trebuchet workshop and an Archery. Then it's a case of setting all your archers in strategic positions and getting Trebuchets up on the walls as well as those static ones/guard towers to help out.

I mainly concentrate on the gate at all times having Faramir's eagle eye shot and Gandalf's lightning blasts close at hand to fire from the two parapets at either side of the gate. The rest of the archers scattered around the walls usually stand up well to the seige machines. But you just have to be careful. My main recommendation is if there are Gondorian Horsemen at the start, ditch them...having a solid defense on the wall works better; waiting out the attack till Eomer and Aragorn arrive.

Dunno if that was any help l33tg33k...

yes it was of much help...thx manx

you think helms deep is best, you didnt play Minas Thirith eh! that was very very cool, i have the maps for online 2 very cool, you should try Helms Deep V2.0! you have 1500 command points :D

I thought Helm's Deep was the best level up until I played the Minas Tirth level. 1500 command points does sound good; so long as there was an increase in the attackers to boot? The whole challenge of Helm's Deep is that it's supposed to be about 500 on 10000. I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much as 1500 on 1500. Anyhow. Where can I get these new improved maps of Helm's Deep and Minas Tirth?

A serious map builders question, (from years of Total Annilhilation and Age of The Empires experience)...it wouldn't be possible to have Helm's Deep and Minas Tirth on the same map? That would be very cool. One player takes a base each? Yes? No?

hi anyone played imperium galectica?i dunno bout the latest version of itbut it was awesomeand there was space and ground war toospying was there strategy forming and much more was therei never found any game like it later