xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
aqvilifer

Lord of the Rings

Has anyone read these books, if so, what did you think of themFellowship of the Ring: I thought it was ok, kinda boring in parts..The Two Towers: Now this one rocked, all of the big battles, and swordplay, wow, i love this one...The Return of the King: This one was pretty good, better then the first one in my eyes, it had a lot more battles and kept me pretty excited all the way through

No I disagree. The general plot may be the same, but the details are not. I suppose it can be argued that adapting the books was a monumental feat on the part of P. Jackson, but they were inivetably forced to changed a lot of things to suit ti the big screen.

Can you give any examples?The only difference I noticed is that the story is told from a different angle and the scripts are not exzactly identical. But overall, I find it quite similar.

Can you give any examples?
The only difference I noticed is that the story is told from a different angle and the scripts are not exzactly identical. But overall, I find it quite similar.

There are a few the ones I can think off the top of my head are...

The Hobbits had dinner at Farmer Maggot's place in the book, In the movie Merry and Pippin stole some stuff and they ran off the cliff.

In the book Arwen was not the one to take Frodo to Rivendale it was a blode male elf name can't remember started with a G. They didn't meet Arwn until much after Frodo woke up in Rivendale and there was a party

They are a few other read the book months ago and can't remember B)

I've read all three several times. I'm sort of a LOTR nut. B) The book I liked best was "Fellowship" because so much "happy" time was spent in the Shire, and of course we got to hang out with the elves in Lorien. I love the language and imagery of all three books however. As for the movies, I liked "TTT" best because it moved along so quickly and those Uruks are scary beyond all reason. lol

I own all three movies and I've seen them so many times.. but they don't compare to the books. I like Fellowship, but I felt it moved a bit slow, but I guess that's only because it had to give all the background stuff (which was mostly omitted in the movie). I think my favorited, also, was Two Towers with it being in the true heart of the action. Two Towers is also my favorite movie. On the special DVD, there's a section about how Jackson and the film makers had the task of transitioning the book to a movie and their process. There's this beautiful part where they examine all the drawings from Tolkien.. the original illustrations... and how they created environments from that. Amazing!

I enjoyed the two towers movie the best Gollum was so funny. As for the books I liked Return of the King because it had those sections in the back they gave a little backstory on everyone.Now has anyone read the Hobbit, I enjoyed that also.

Lollipop, i have read and enjoyed the hobbit as well. B) the hobbit is something like a prequel for the whole LOTR book series. but an even earlier accounts of the middle-earth can be found in THE SILMARILLION.The book's FOREWORD goes:"The Silmarillion, now published four years after the death of its author, is an account of the Elder Days, or the First Age of the World. In The Lord of the Rings were narrated the great events at the end of the Third Age; but the tales of The Silmarillion are legends deriving from a much deeper past, when Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, dwelt in Middle-earth, and the High Elves made war upon him for the recovery of the Silmarils.";) Tolkien's mythological books are really a blast to read. :P

I loved the books. FOTR was very boring, okay in some points but it always made me sleep. Movie was betterTT was very good. Very eye catching. Movie was betterROTK was my favorite one out of all of them. It kept me on the edge and made me groan whenever I had to put it down. It was really good. Better than the movie

I agree that Tolkien is a great author. He has a imaginative and creative mind. But some times his works can get boring. Pagefulls of verses and boring descriptions. For people who have read action packed fantasy this will scare them out of fantasy z.z.z...zZ :P I like "HarryPotter" and Phillip Pullman's "His dark materials". The are great. No offense to Tolkien lovers. His works are the classics which inspired the modern fantasy :P

Has anyone read these books

I think the question should be 'has anyone not read these books?'.

I got the three in a boxed set a while ago, and on the back it says something to the effect of:

The human population is divided into two parts: those who have read Lord the Rings, and those who are going to.

My brother read the whole series. He spoke highly about it.But I think the language they use is hard to understand.... Anyway, the movie came out beautifully (even I could captureonly ~50-60% of what they spoke in the film.. :lol: