xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

UBUNTU - complete desktop Linux operating system

Posted Image

Ubuntu includes more than 1,000 pieces of software, starting with the Linux kernel version 2.6 and Gnome 2.8, and covering every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to internet access applications, web server software, email software, programming languages and tools and of course several games.

As many free cds as needed? wow these people mush be rich

And to think that they set the default amount of cds to ship to TEN!!!! They must be very rich lol... I ordered 10 cds anyone else did?

Well from what i heard, its a simple text install and follows somewhat of what apple os does, with sudo to run admin comands. And apparently Firefox 1 is not shipped with it yet. Also I'm not sure if this distro can handle deb packages.

I tried the LiveCD and am somewhat pleased. I guess I'm just not used to Gnome. The OS seems good, but browsing my network shares took quite a while and I also didn't find an easy way to burn CDs (it's like Windows Explorer's burning thing sorta). I might come back to it later on, but in the meantime I'll be looking for another Debian derivative (maybe Mepis?). Now I just have to get rid of my 11 extra CDs :D . Btw, these does use .deb packages, but they are compiled just for Ubuntu in its own repository. They say that regular .debs from Debian might break the OS.

i just installed this. I've never tried gnome b4 only kde, and i recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried gnome. It gives a break from kde's bright icons and provides a more homely feel. The one problem that would turn people away from ubuntu, is that some packages (even the ubuntu official packages) do not create a menu entry automatically.

I will definatley be trying this distro. My aim is to try em all... you've gotta try em all - thats what i heard...well done ubuntu for the FREE CD'S, YAY! 8)