xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

1TB /500MB attachment Email

Well 1TB(Terabyte) of storage is massive since it is equal to 1000GB(Gigabytes). I wonder where they get this space from. :shock:  :D

They probably pay alot of money for that space, wow i never seen anyone offer that much space for emails :shock:

Well 1TB(Terabyte) of storage is massive since it is equal to 1000GB(Gigabytes). I wonder where they get this space from. :shock:  :D

errr...
it's more like 1024GB :D
Yeah your right ThaSniper, I forgot that 1GB is equal to 1024MB(have to add the 24 :wink: )

They probably pay alot of money for that space, wow i never seen anyone offer that much space for emails  :shock:

I don't think so. In my opinion 99% of all users won't EVER use more than maybe 20-40 MBytes...Besides, the "1 TB" statement is only a good marketing trick. It means practically "unlimited" space, just like Gmail. It's nearly impossible to use all the disk space.
Last but not least, the price for 1 GB of disk space has fallen down significantly (maybe 0.5$ now), so it's not THAT much of a problem to offer it for the public...

They probably pay alot of money for that space, wow i never seen anyone offer that much space for emails  :shock:

I don't think so. In my opinion 99% of all users won't EVER use more than maybe 20-40 MBytes...Besides, the "1 TB" statement is only a good marketing trick. It means practically "unlimited" space, just like Gmail. It's nearly impossible to use all the disk space.
Last but not least, the price for 1 GB of disk space has fallen down significantly (maybe 0.5$ now), so it's not THAT much of a problem to offer it for the public...

Oh i see so they really give unlimited space and they don't pay that much money for it :roll:

yes 1TB is too large for email, but 500M attachments maybe is useful.

Hey, I hope you don't mean that seriously! Sending a 500M (!!) email is not only stupid, but also rude, to all the other internet users. Can you imagine how much bandwith you occupy with such a mail? Not mentioning that almost every SMTP server (where the mail goes through) would reject such a huge message, if not it would try to send it to another and most likely fail, resulting in a HUGE amount of bandwith and server load simply wasted...

Another thing is, that emails are 7bit coded, so the thing grows in size - if you send an 300MB attachment, you're in fact sending over 400MB...!!

You just have to realize that the email service is NOT meant for sending files (in fact only sending a 64 kB email is guaranteed to succeed (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html)), for that there are designed OTHER protocols (FTP, SCP, even HTTP etc.)

For the start, I reccommend http://www.skizzle.com/...

errr...
it's more like 1024GB :D
Yeah your right ThaSniper, I forgot that 1GB is equal to 1024MB(have to add the 24 :wink: )

The reason for that is not just that you have to add 24mb.
To understand it you must first know that the size increments with a factor of 2 (it doubles).
Following that, we can just keep halving til we get to 1 and then double up again. Can you see the problem?
Unfortunately, most hdd manufacturers are misusing the metric system,
to make their drives seem bigger and thus causing the widespread misconception that 1 kb is 1000bytes.

The 1 byte issue is also the reason many people find it difficult to understand "download speed".
1 byte consists of 8 bits (7 transmission bits and 1 stop bit),
and modem/router speeds is measured in kbits/second.
So if you have a connection speed of 1mb/s, your download speed in
more plain english is (1024:8 ) 128kbytes/second