xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Hero

"Set 2,000 years ago (3 rd century B.C.) as China was in the process of being united by the brutal conqueror Qin, who would eventually become the first emperor of China, the film opens when a minor official, Nameless (Li), seeks an audience with Qin after having killed the three assassins that have been trying for Qin?s life for years. Qin accepts the audience, then asks Nameless to tell him how he killed three such skilled warriors.

Posted Image

Nameless then recounts the story of how he disposed of Sky (Donnie Yen of Iron Monkey), and two lovers, Broken Sword and Flying Snow (Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung), super-skilled assassins who are hiding out in a calligraphy school. Broken Sword is fiercely protected by his prot?g?, the young and beautiful Moon (Zhang Ziyi).

Thing is, Qin doesn?t believe Nameless, suspecting the story is not a simple as all that. Sensing a different motivation in Nameless? act, the future emperor tells his own version of events, based on his observational evidence.

In fact, the legend of Nameless, Broken Sword, Flying Snow and Moon is told in four different versions, "Rashomon"-style. Each different section features a bold color scheme. In Nameless? version of events, each costume and set is in blood red. In Qin?s version, the costumes and sets are in blue. In the version that is a compromise of the two, presumably the most truthful version of events, the design is all white. There is even a lovely green palate during a flashback sequence.

As one would expect when one of the world?s great directors and one of the world?s great cinematographers are teamed, "Hero" is indeed a visual feast. The fight scenes, choreographed by Ching Siu-tung ("A Chinese Ghost Story," "Swordsman II") with the help of flawless digital technology, are truly impressive ? especially the early showdown between old fighting pros Li and Yen."

G. Allen Johnson

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you really enjoy this movie you should not let pass the films:House of Flying Daggers,which was directed by the same director;Gongfu hustle,which was directed by the actor and director Stephen Chow.

Enjoy them!

"Set 2,000 years ago (3 rd century B.C.) as China was in the process of being united by the brutal conqueror Qin, who would eventually become the first emperor of China, the film opens when a minor official, Nameless (Li), seeks an audience with Qin after having killed the three assassins that have been trying for Qin?s life for years. Qin accepts the audience, then asks Nameless to tell him how he killed three such skilled warriors.

Posted Image

Nameless then recounts the story of how he disposed of Sky (Donnie Yen of Iron Monkey), and two lovers, Broken Sword and Flying Snow (Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung), super-skilled assassins who are hiding out in a calligraphy school. Broken Sword is fiercely protected by his prot?g?, the young and beautiful Moon (Zhang Ziyi).

Thing is, Qin doesn?t believe Nameless, suspecting the story is not a simple as all that. Sensing a different motivation in Nameless? act, the future emperor tells his own version of events, based on his observational evidence.

In fact, the legend of Nameless, Broken Sword, Flying Snow and Moon is told in four different versions, "Rashomon"-style. Each different section features a bold color scheme. In Nameless? version of events, each costume and set is in blood red. In Qin?s version, the costumes and sets are in blue. In the version that is a compromise of the two, presumably the most truthful version of events, the design is all white. There is even a lovely green palate during a flashback sequence.

As one would expect when one of the world?s great directors and one of the world?s great cinematographers are teamed, "Hero" is indeed a visual feast. The fight scenes, choreographed by Ching Siu-tung ("A Chinese Ghost Story," "Swordsman II") with the help of flawless digital technology, are truly impressive ? especially the early showdown between old fighting pros Li and Yen."

G. Allen Johnsonhttp://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This film is pretty good...beautiful and all, but maybe a bit too much for youngsters who are just looking for action.I liked it, despite being young, but then again-that's just me.

it was a very special movie. not due to its story, but to its impressive visual images. if you liked this movie also check the House Of Flying Daggers from the same director.

Because the director had been a photographer for a long time before
his transfer of job. :D

The House of Flying Daggers is really a film with a lot of visuals effects.

Wow i just saw a preview for House of flying daggers. Despite it's crappie name, it was made by the same people of hero and Crouching tiger hidden dragon. It looks awesome too.People who've liked hero should check it out :D

Ohh! Hero~ that was such a good movie, the film techniques were amazing. The colour and visuals were beautiful. A lot of my chinese friends didn't like it because they thought it was not as good as the chinese version. Well i still really liked it. I want to be a film maker and it gave me insight into other techniques i could use. :o .. I give it a 9/10 as well!