xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

What reading is worth your time?

My time is precious to me I can only invest it in a book that tells me how:how to relate more effectively with God.ORhow to improve my social life and help more peopleORhow to develope my mental powers moreORhow to achieve better health and physiqueORhow to achieve financial independence fasterWHAT OF YOU?passjoe

I took the time to read your post, not because of any of the reasons you included in your e-mail, but just because I like to read. It is fun, just like making your own website or watching a good movie. Wasting time doing something fun isn't wasted time.

I like reading things that I can relate to... and things that are funny or a psycological thriller... or things sad/happy things... ... I don't read too many books, though... I like manga better! :) I can look at the pictures! :P

I like reading things that I can relate to... and things that are funny or a psycological thriller... or things sad/happy things... ... I don't read too many books, though... I like manga better! :) I can look at the pictures! :P

lol :roll:

"At the beginning of the first Dialogue it was clear that the quantum physicists had their favorite realm to explore and talk about, and the American Indians also had their own favorite realm. As we Dialogued, it began becoming clear that those favorite realms had some fundamental principles in common: the only constant is flux; everything that exists vibrates; everything is interconnected such that the part implicates the whole. In fact, it became crystal clear that the last major obstacle to these realms being the same realm was really only terminological: the physicists are used to calling it "the subatomic realm" whereas the American Indians for millennia have been calling it "the spirit realm". Now that's a big enough surprise -- that modern physics is knocking on the door of spirit without really meaning to -- but not big enough, so now let's take it home!

It puzzled the physicists just HOW the American Indians should have foreknowledge of a realm they shouldn't know about, that the Western scientific infrastructure had just recently led us to -- and the Indians had no such scientific infrastructure! And as the physicists gradually understood that, like Hopi, the Algonquian grammatical structures do not demand nouns, do not demand fictitious actors to embody actions (that, as my Mikmaq and Blackfoot friends tell me, they can talk all day long in those languages and never utter a single 'noun'!), they finally had to admit that such languages were indeed much better suited to exploring that realm and reporting back than SAE [standard Average European] languages -- Whorf's reply to Heisenberg's Lament was verified and agreed upon. When the phenomena of reality change in a dramatic way, you need to change the tool you're using. Now, of course, the physicists were left with an even larger puzzle, to wit: how is it that these American Indians have a language much better suited than SAE languages to investigate and describe the inner workings of the subatomic realm -- a realm they aren't even supposed to know about!?!

As you can see by now, Pinker -- like all other facile critics and unindicted co-creators of the so-called hypothesis -- is out of his league altogether in attempting to characterize a major player in one of the most important interdisciplinary discussions ever in the history of ideas. Pinker, like Chomsky, loves logic (which grows out of the grammar of SAE languages just as the philosophy of 'karma' grew out of the grammar of ancient Sanskrit, where it was used earliest as the linguistics term for 'direct object'!!), but has never really gotten with the program this century to replace binary/dualistic thinking with multivariable/ multicausal/ interdependent systems thinking."
Sapir-Whorf and what to tell students these days
LINGUIST List: Vol-6-1149. Tue Aug 22 1995.
http://www.enformy.com/

Ummmm what can i say? I like reading so much. I read all kinds of book except roman's. Humm "Chicken Soup" and "Rich Dad Poor Dad" can be good pieces for reading :wink:

Those of you who like fast-paced action books, check out Matthew Reilly's stuff, such as Area 7, Temple, Ice Station. Real page turners with great developed characters and no time to get bored reading silly descriptive stuff!

I'll read anything I've not read before. It expands my knowledge, gives me a greater scope of opinion, and when I'm writing, I have a larger base of storylines whence to formulate mine own.