xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dundun2007

Windows Xp Lite?

I heard that in some other country for some reason came out with a windows xp lite. I think the country was Australia, and the new version is suppose to have better spyware protection, virus and IE protection and run faster and all that good stuff. If you know what im talking about or have any other information please post it here.

This was supposedly distributed in a few countries in the Asia-Pacific region. Whether or not it included Australia, I don't know (Australia does lie in that area, but I'm not sure whether it was only targetting Asia or not).From what I heard, it was supposed to counter the piracy of software by having a relatively low price tag. Apparently, software piracy is especially big in that region. Although I don't know how effective it will be - most people who are into software piracy would rather pay $10 for Windows XP Professional then probobly >$150 for Windows XP Lite.

I live in Singapore and I have never heard such a thing. The closest I have heard is that Microsoft is selling Windows at a relatively low price in Thailand ocmpared to other parts of the world. It wants to compete with Linux. It is said that because Thailand is very poor, most people use Linux instead of Windows.Anyway, since its Windows 'lite', is it only 'lite' on the wallet or light on its features too?

Well all of us homies living in the USA can't say much because there's alot of stuff on that side of the world, that we don't have. So like lil' buddy in singapore said, it's probably existant in a way that people could by it cheaper or something, but I doubt that Microsoft would Release a new version, and not at least INFORM the general U.S. public about it. I mean, they could make a lil' cash here first off of a release like that.

i wouldnt be surprised if there was a windows xp lite and that it would run faster than the normal one, well so far i haven't heard anything about it but i shall look into it, seems interesting

Could you be refering to Windows Xp FD ? Basically its a modified version of XP Pro, but it doesnt ask for serial key, has a different gui look, comes with many security fixes pre installed, and includes several freeware programs (like adaware) with it. Pretty awesome if you ask me :)

For those people who needs some information here is the address of the site.

http://www.litepc.com/

I guess it can be used in stripped computer, like u have in bars, for playing Mp3s and U have not so biffy computer.

But even anyone else can do this from XP Pro. Using programs like XP Antyspy, killing background processes, spyware installing SP1 slowndown fix, Diskkeeper.........

Here is one useful adrress u can try http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/