xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Memoirs of a Geisha

I was wondering if anyone had cme across a good summary of this book...i have to read this book in the by 2 weeks from now and i have almost NO time to read it...anything would be helpful:D

Oh I read that book a while ago... Feck I can't remember it; I found this pathetic description of it though:

In Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction--at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful--and completely unforgettable.

Just read it though, it's really good.

What can i say about that book is.... How difficult to be a geisha!! We must have an ability to dance, sing, play shamisen, serve a cup of tea! :P have you done read that book ?

and you started a month and a half ago? ah well, recently i gave up on a book that i struggled to get through for three months and i only got through like 100 pages. but i really liked memoirs of a geisha and i think i finished it within a week. it was really popular in my english class and i think a third of the class read it for the reading requirement

Oh I read that book a while ago... Feck I can't remember it; I found this pathetic description of it though:In Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction--at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful--and completely unforgettable.

Just read it though, it's really good.

lol That description is found on the back of my book. I believe it is the official blurb used by the company that publishes it. The book is really awesome. My favorite. Very poetic writing style, and you can learn some things about Japan too. It is a beautiful book.

O I loved that book! The movie was okay, however it left out a lot of the cultural nuances ( such as why a geisha might paint the back of her neck or what the design could mean).The book was absolutely wonderful. It ended up being kind of a romance type deal ( which I am so very not into) so I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did.It goes into the whole life, lifestyle and system of the world of the geisha. A geisha is a woman who was purchased for entertainment. She was expected to be able to dance, sing, play instruments, have witty conversation, pour drinks properly, and play up to the expectations of not only the people who purchased her time and talents, but the House she represented.It sounds real simple but it was not.For starters a geisha ( unless she has made her mark) is owned by the House. Her food, clothes, medical care, schooling, and anything she breaks will be owed back to the House. So she works for free until her debt is worked off. Ouch.Geishas also have a reputation to uphold. The more refined one holds oneself the better the reputation. The better the reputation the better the clientele. The better the clientele the sooner one can be free from her bonds.To sing out of tune, to drop and fumble a prop, to pour tea wrongly, to make a remark too bold or to laugh at an innapropriate time could point the finger on a geisha for being low class.It was a really remarkable book and I do hope that you find the time to finish it.

I have read this bok many years ago, but I loved it so much. It was very interesting to see the perspective of the life of a geisha, from such a young age, and then to have the whole story seem like it might be sad, when in fact it ends quite well. The imagery and description into the world really makes you feel like you are living it with the protagonist.The movie was great to deliver that imagery, and then some, but like mentioned above, kinda left out some of the cultural nuances that made the book so intriguing and interesting in the first place. However, if you have to time to read the book, you could watch the movie and have a good idea of the story. Aside from that, I'm not sure where to find a detailed summary, sorry.

I like this book very much ^^/

I think Sayuri is write this book ;)

and I like DVD too :)

but ..... it still 2005 " Orz :lol:

(Ps.sorry for my bad English >_<

Posted Image