xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Build an amp at home?

I had an Microsoft Sound System 80, the amplification was on the box of the subwoofer, and some components burned out. One was a potency transistor, other was an micro resistence. I guess these components are named otherwise, but I don't know, so I hope you understand.The point is, I can't fix it, because there is no accessible plan of the build of the system, and the reference of the components burned with them. Now I have a box with woofer and 2 satellite sound columns. Need to give them a bit of power. Is it good idea to build a small amplification device to give a little output boost to an analogic sound input?

First of all the cost is relative to where you are in the wordAre you talking stereo or mono do you want to build a digital linear or valve amplifier and lastly what is the out put wattage 100 or 1000 watts is the purpose for instrument amplification or other. also what is the voltage at the socket where you live answer this and I will help you 8) Tom

Hey Tom!Me, I'm talking about stereo, with an cross-over for the woofer. So it'll be 2.1 sound system. Digital linear, not valve. The wattage would be about 80w, I think these are RMS, but not sure. Make it 100w pure, it should do the job. Not intrument amplification, it's for home stereo playback, like computer or sound card similar output devices. Here we use 220/240Volt, 50/60Hz.

You will have to build two 50 watt amplifiers to make a 50 watt stereo ampValves are the most powerfull they can handle large amounts of current and have little noise once warmend up. If you use two transistorised 100watt modules together these use low cost 2n3055 and mj2955 power transitors in a push pull amplification method and are cheap to replace, one amp module for the right and one for the left. the base speaker in the centre of the two is wire in to each channel. I will publish a diagram. to keep all sound truely stereo use seperate preamplifiers to run the main amps.In your first post I think you ment POWER TRANSISTOR and RESISTOR or Variable resistor (volume control). To build a no digital stereo transistor powered gutar amp it would cost around $100 australian dollars without transformers they will probably be the most expensive part at $40 for 100watt amp to drive with preamp.Tom2 trans = 50watt4 trans = 100wattSorry I didnt get back sooner 8)

I realise valves are best, but expensive... :lol: We'll use transistors.Wouldn't it be better to build a stereo amp and not two mono? I understand it is more simple to do the way you sayed. About how to wire input / output and 2.1 system, I know what to do. By the way, what is the name of that thingie that filters out the output to the woofer speaker, so is cleans the high frequencies? I was refering to it when I mentioned crossover.I'll be waiting for the diagram.Thank you! :)

two 50watt mono modules create a 50watt stereo amp

with the above info I am talking in mono module a 50watt mono module will have 2 transistors and a 100watt mono module willhave 4 transitors.

You can also buy small 10 watt amplifier ic-module they are complete for 12 dollars. What is the rating of the peakers inside your colums?

This will help decide the type of amp to build. are the peakers 4-8 or 16 ohms impeadance and watt is there watage rating it should be on the magnet?

I think you are talking about a centre speaker circuit this will be run from the positive of both chanels left and right making it a mono centre driven from a right and left stereo source that is what you are after, I think only a couple of capacitors are needed to correct the polarity of the centre speaker. Give me time with the diagram the scanner is broken but I will find online for you somewhere or just wait a week or so.TomThis is a busy time of year but you may be in luck

Hello!

Two 50watt mono modules, then.

The speakers make a total of 80watt, but not sure if these 80watt are the RMS ones. I don't know if you understand what is the RMS, we call it to the sound power output. Except for a very few expensive speakers, the RMS is always lower than the nominal wattage. For exemple, if these speakers are 80watt RMS, they input more than that, like 100watt or more. Either case, 100watt amplification should work fine. Because if 100watt is underwattage, I'll be happy because I don't need much sound, if it is overwattage I'll have that in mind and will not push the amplification to high. Here, I think the speakers are 8ohms, but not sure. I'll find out.

About the 'centre speaker circuit', I don't know if we're talking about the same thing... But what I'm talking about is a small circuit, I don't know what's in it, but is for use on the speaker than will 'emphatise' the bass. After you bridge the stereo output for the central speaker, you connect the cable to that circuit, wich connects to the sub-woofer speaker. It function is to 'filter' the high frequencies, so you'll have that speaker playing mainly the drum and bass. That speaker is designed to do that already, but it won't be able to play that way unless its connected to that circuit. Maybe it is exactly what you're talking about, I don't know. But don't worry much about this, I have a friend that can arrange one circuit of those.

Thank you, Tom! Can't wait to get started... But take your time, I'll wait. :lol:

(edited) Yes, the speakers are 8 ohms.

heh if you want and if you know something about electronics you can go to elektroda.pl this is the best site J ever seen there you can find everything what you want