xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

International Baculauruate Is it recognisable in ur country??

International BaculauruateI am not sure whether I want to do it next yer. Since it has limited subjects which exclude subjects I want to do. Anyway, is it noticed in your country?? In my country (New Zealand) it is. I just wanna make sure I am not being mislead by my skool

Yeah it's noticed in my country (australia)... it's supposed to be a recognised certificate worldwide... but if your school offers VCE, and IB excludes subjects that you want to do then why not just do VCE?

What is it anyway? I am from the United States, we do not have that system here.

If it is this
http://www.ibo.org/

Then I semi wouldn't want to join a program like that. You are right, too limiting.

Na my skool doesnt have this VCE. My skool is pretty crap compared to amny of your schoools in aussie, except we are better at sports. Any way what is this VCE??Is it just another program?

Yeah, I live in Finland and we have it here. The school I go to actually offers the IB program. It's fairly tough I hear and you really need to do some extra work to achieve decent grades.

Yeh apparently you hav 2 do llike 3 advanced level subjects and 3 standard subjects. So for the advanced level subject you must do extra work to under stand it.I wont do it, it sounds gay!

ok, the guy to ask about IB is me, because I graduated with that program. Now, the following info may be outdated a little as they keep changing IB, but here it goes anyway.First of all, it is very useful. But that is, if the school actually offers most of the courses needed. To get the diploma, you need 3 high level and 3 standard level courses as well as a certain amount of CAS (community service) and TOK (Theory of Knowledge, ethics, philosophy etc).Now why is it useful? Because you can get universities to exempt you from certain courses if you achieve a high grade in IB from the same or similar courses. As an example, I got exemted from my first year physics course, 72 units of Social Sciences (thats a whole years worth!) and would have got exempted from Java programming if I had bothered to turn in my course description to the registrar :(If you choose the right courses, you can get exempted from as much as a whole years worth of university courses, (some of my friends did). For example, lets say you want engineering. Take high level chem, physics and math and thats a year gone!The course choices are as follows (no you can't take all sciences and no literature!) You need 2 languages (A1, and A2), a math course (there are 3 levels actually, 2 std and 1 higher), a science course (chem, phys, bio) and one elective (any one extra from above or a totally different course).As in which universities accept it. Nearly all of them! Europe, UK, USA, Canada, Australia... They may not SAY that they accept it, but if you provide it anyways, you are almost guarenteed to get credit somewhere.Also the final IB grade is I think out of 45. You get 1-7 for each course and then add them up. Most universities, especially in the UK have a min IB grade you need to get to be able to enroll (usually around 32).So yeah, I say it is a very useful course, if you have any questions, reply or PM me. btw, for me it was much easier than GCSE, concentrate on the high level course (you get 2h more of them) and you are almost guarenteed to get a high grade.edit: btw, our school was one of the few schools in the world which REQUIRED you to take IB, so I didn't have much a choice. But it is becoming the standard education program worldwide.edit 2: oh, didn't mention, I'm Turkish, took IB in Turkey in an international school and now I'm studying Computer Engineering in Canada.

Yes, I'm from the U.S. and it's recognized here. I feel bad now that I didn't join it. The hs I was going to go to had a high IB pass rate and would had probably helped me get into a better college. It's a more rigorous program than regular hs coursework.

I'm in Australia and it's been almost 2 years since I graduated from high school, and I must say that I've never heard anything of this IB. When exactly did it get introduced? Or had I been hiding under a rock all throughout high school?

well, in Chicago, it was considered a prestigous program (that's how they marketed it). I think only 3-4 schools had it. To get into it, you needed good grades + to pass an exam. The school I applied for also had a quota. If only I had been more educated on this, I would have taken it.