xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

cascading style sheets

Dreamweaver mx 2004 offers a page made with stye sheets but I dont see the benifit whats wrong with html and whats the difference or the benifit. :? I have not used them at all

CSS is a very useful thing. Here is explanation. I am quoting from this website: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

CSS, is a flexible form of code designed to compliment and enhance HTML. It is used to set pre-defined styles for individual page elements, complete pages and/or web sites. Results are reflexed in more control over formatting, time savings in coding, and bandwidth used to render pages.
CSS allows for the introduction of elements that are not supported by ordinary HTML tags. It can be used to format fonts, backgrounds, tables, and used in page layout. It is accomplished by defining styles for existing HTML tags, or creating new styles called "classes".

It can be placed in your HTML documents in one of two ways, inline coding or an external style document. The inline CSS method is placed directly into a web page. It can be contained within the <HEAD> tags, or used within individual HTML tags, or a combination of both. Using the external method you place your styles in a single file document and link it to your pages. With this method you can set the format for a complete web site, and have only one file to edit. When the changes are made they will apply themselves to the complete site.

Here is a very good introudscution to CSS: http://wendypeck.com/css101.html

and an even better one: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

CSS is really cool because for me it allowed me to edit the whole look of my website in one go and made my website soooo much easier to handle.

Dreamweaver can be used for writing CSS, but basic notepad can be used to write it manually which is what I do.

skyglow1

Thanks skyglow I will check out the links you provided the information also helped it makes duplicating formats of pages easy obviousley by linking new pages to the same css 8)

I suggest you use dreamweaver for css. It is easy to edit. You don't need to edit each and every line with your own typing, but you can just select or choose from the options made available by the dreamweaver software.

Hmm I haven't tried using Dreamweaver for its CSS part. looks pretty cool. But I have so much CSS code and I lay it out a certain way in my css file to save space, I don't want dreamweaver changing that.skyglow1

i dont think you need a style sheet....i just include it in the pagethats cos i use php to generate the content..so i have a 'layout page' and then include content.php for exampleI use dreamweaver for css cos it changes the colour if ive missed something....but notepad is as good other than that.

Css is soo brilliant in every single way-just learnt it recently-its really good!You can use a text editor to code CSS, its easy! I got a really good book called HTML for windows and Mac (visual quickstart guide) its got alot of css in it!