xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mario

msn - aim - yim

i personally use yahoo messanger and aol messanger. there both ok but i like yahoo's messanger better because they give u alot more features than aol messanger. on aim you have to use net meetings to use the webcam feature(which u have to download i think and put your information like phone # and stuff) but the yim just opens a new window. also if some one adds u to there buddy list on aim u dont know on yim it tells u and says do u except.

afetr reading all the posts i cannot be sure bout wheather this discussion is about IM protocols or their generic clients so im gonna talk bout both:

protocols - my personal favorite is GG most of you havent even heard bout it . i also use MSN and ICQ couse the are more poplular among vast communities.

In theory most protocols are the same with small differences

i have MSN couse its from microsoft and i love icq for being the pionier in IMP's and i will never quit using it.

clients - generic is crap -- that a known theory and Instant messageing is no exception. The original apps like icq on msn *BLEEP* big time. The are alternatives that give more options or cut down on the ones that are useless and give a opportunity of using a couple of networks at once:

- commercial - trilian - great app 100% bug free but it has a price

- miranda(my pick) is an open source multi protocol messanger developed by 1000 of ppl round the globe. If there is a way to communicate name it and miranda has support for it. Its buggy more complicaded the normal but has loads of thing to choose from and loads and loads of plugs to use = just great

Hey,

I use yahoo and AOL messenger. I haven't used MSN's but I think I will try it. I have a MSN account, I just never use it. :( Gaim? I looked at that site, and since it sounds like a good program, I will download it. It would be cool to use the same program for many different accounts.

By the way, does anybody know of any other things to do with those stupid AOL disks? I get them in the mail all the time, and would like to make use of them.

~Puppy :(

I have AOL, so I guess that's why I like AIM more than the other 2.MSN is pretty good, I just never use it.Yahoo is horrible.I had to uninstall it because it was annoying and never worked right.Yahoo in general is pretty annoying.Oh, & for the person that said AOL sends too many CDs and they don't know how they got their address: You should take advantage of the free CDs; and the same way AOL got your address is the same way all of the telemarketers get our phone numbers. :(

I like msn...It's very easy and it looks good and calm..I once used yahoo....i didn't like it at all...it was quite awful for me. anyway almost none of my friends have yahoo so there is no need to have it...I haven't tried aim, coz again none of my friends use it..So i choose MSN :)

I am using Yahoo Messanger. It is very good. I have also tried MSN but most of my friends are on Yahoo so I don't use msn so much. At this time I am using trillian it is just OK.

Well I like Msn the best, because I use the web cam a lot and with yahoo's webcam features you get like 5 difererent windows and I don't really like having 5 windows everywhere, just a mess, with Msn, you just have one and thats it simple and efficient, Aim just sucks, you can't do anything with it, alot of people use it, but well I don't like it.

Trillian all the way! as I use AIM, Yahoo, and MSN.  Having a window for each of them was getting annoying, so i switched to Trillian.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trillian is pretty decent, but i hate the smilies, they are gay. As for my fav messenger, it is without a shadow of a doubt MSN Messenger... in my eyes, yahoo and aol messengers are cheap knockofff's of msn (dont reply saying they predate it or anything, cause i dont care, they suck in my eyes), only thing else i ever used was ICQ back in my starcraft clan days so i could talk to clan members, "UH-OH" you got a message :D

Of the original clients I prefer msn. It was the first one I got to know and most people I know use it as well. Since going to university though my contact list includes lots of people on yahoo and aim so I have switched to trillian. After a bit of hunting around on their site I was even able to find a skin that made it look like msn for a while, though I have switched back since. I have also got used to using yahoo since they updated it a while ago and am starting to think a bit more of that, but too many of the features still feel more like gimmicks than useful additions.

Nice comments. I am still sticking with msn, because it's really easy to use and customizable.I didn't see anybody argue about icq how fast and customazible it is ;) j/kIcq is my last one on the list.

I personaly havent tried ICQ. Im a creature of habit so I stick to my YIM, partly because its easy to use but mostly because the chats are free, lol. I have run into some problems with it however. Like private messege and chat room voice going out, getting text band and there are an endless amount of booters and amature hackers in the chats that do little more then annoy you. there are ways to get around the booters if your interested in participating in the chat rooms you can use alternative chat clients like yahelite to use the same chat rooms and not get bothered by the booters. all that aside I like yahoo...