xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Favorite Band Jazz

There are some bands that I feel simply could do no wrong. I'm assuming you all have some that are just perfect for your tastes, as well. Of course, a Coltrane session is a Coltrane session, et cetera, but this thread is about really tight, exceptional BANDS.Here are some of mine:Miles Davis' 1950s QuintetMiles Davis - tptJohn Coltrane - tsaxRed Garland - pPaul Chambers - bPhilly Joe Jones - dBill Evans TrioBill Evans - pScott LaFaro - bPaul Motian - dArt Blakey's Jazz Messengers from 1958Lee Morgan - tptBenny Golson - tsaxBobby Timmons - pJymie Merritt - bArt Blakey - dOscar Peterson TrioOscar Peterson - pRay Brown - bEd Thigpen - dThelonious Monk's Quartet from the early 60sCharlie Rouse - tsaxThelonious Monk - pJohn Ore - bFrankie Dunlop - d

The 1950's Miles Davis quintet has got to be one of the best of all time- kind of blue was just an incredible album, one of the most influencial of all time.Art blakey's jazz messangers was also crazy awesome, I'm actually listening to their recording of "moanin'" right now.What was the name of the 'davis group that also featured J.J. Johnson on trombone? Man they were some smoking cats.I'm one of the biggest fans of monk ever so I love anything featuring monk. The very first jazz song I ever learnt was "Blue Monk" by thelonius monk taken from "the real book"- the most simple piece but man it's awesome to improvise on.Louis Armstrong and his hot five were also a fantastic band.

There are some bands that I feel simply could do no wrong. I'm assuming you all have some that are just perfect for your tastes, as well. Of course, a Coltrane session is a Coltrane session, et cetera, but this thread is about really tight, exceptional BANDS.
Here are some of mine:

Miles Davis' 1950s Quintet
Miles Davis - tpt
John Coltrane - tsax
Red Garland - p
Paul Chambers - b
Philly Joe Jones - d
Bill Evans Trio
Bill Evans - p
Scott LaFaro - b
Paul Motian - d

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers from 1958
Lee Morgan - tpt
Benny Golson - tsax
Bobby Timmons - p
Jymie Merritt - b
Art Blakey - d

Oscar Peterson Trio
Oscar Peterson - p
Ray Brown - b
Ed Thigpen - d

Thelonious Monk's Quartet from the early 60s
Charlie Rouse - tsax
Thelonious Monk - p
John Ore - b
Frankie Dunlop - d

I would have to go with the Kind of Blue Quintet, which you already mentioned, as well as the Monk/Coltrane collaboration with Shadow Wilson on drums and Ahmed Abdul Malik on Bass. Also, the Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie collaboration.