HOME       >>       Staff Room

Spam

Tags: spam

iGuest

I was meaning to tell OpaQue about his lo-fi version leaking the staff posts. It's even worse in maintenance mode or the original forum is down, means they can view the post without restrictions.myCents should be a different color, red for numbers can be associated with negative amounts.Removal of automatic, well at this stage it's understandable, but once the forum returns to it's glory that wouldn't be feasible. The script seems to be overly complicated although does seem to share some similarities to accounting based systems, where deductions can only be reversed as if it were a normal transaction.So another question, what if you hide then delete the post (soft delete)? What would that result in? Then what if you permanently delete?More questions, approved post earns 3 cents, member alters it to make it shorter, post is unapproved, deducts 3 cents or reduces the amount to the amount that post may get now, like 1 cent?Edited posts, do members have this option (don't answer this I can check, just being lazy)? The reason being, a post made say a while ago, that gets editted to add random spam to increase earnings, will possibly go unnoticed, it does not revive itself if it's old only if a new post was made to it.The only spam that is around that I can see are those who registered before 2 Feb. I have asked OpaQue if he could remove all members who have made no posts before this date so that all those registered spammers will be removed, also we do not have about 50k of members, more likely in the 2,000 but majority are now inactive. Otherwise we will just keep picking off the spammers that have already made it into the system but I feel a clean up of the database would be good. Would definitely speed up the response time.Cheers,MC

velma

I was meaning to tell OpaQue about his lo-fi version leaking the staff posts. It's even worse in maintenance mode or the original forum is down, means they can view the post without restrictions.

Is this still happening on your end? Can you give me the url or a screenshot?

myCents should be a different color, red for numbers can be associated with negative amounts.

The members who don't have positive mycents can be seen with the word NEGATIVE attached in red

Removal of automatic, well at this stage it's understandable, but once the forum returns to it's glory that wouldn't be feasible. The script seems to be overly complicated although does seem to share some similarities to accounting based systems, where deductions can only be reversed as if it were a normal transaction.

Opa coded this himself so you might have to tell him that his script is over complicated

So another question, what if you hide then delete the post (soft delete)? What would that result in? Then what if you permanently delete?

If you delete (soft or not) , and if I run the script, it will be assumed that the deleted post was legit which means that the post will end up being calculated. Which is why a post has to be left unapproved until the script is run. Once the script is run, it is ok to delete.

So it goes like this

Mod see bad post -> Post Hidden -> Velma Runs script -> Post is deleted.

More questions, approved post earns 3 cents, member alters it to make it shorter, post is unapproved, deducts 3 cents or reduces the amount to the amount that post may get now, like 1 cent?

Hide = Complete deduction.

Edit and unapproved = Complete deduction.

Edit and approved = Recalculation.

So, even if a member were to add 10 paragraphs or remove the 10, it does not matter if the post gets hidden. But if a post were to get edited to reduce / lengthen it, OpaQue's script will recalculate and adjust accordingly, if the original post was 3 cents and new post is 10 cents, the script will give the difference of 7 cents . Opa's script is very precise

Edited posts, do members have this option (don't answer this I can check, just being lazy)? The reason being, a post made say a while ago, that gets editted to add random spam to increase earnings, will possibly go unnoticed, it does not revive itself if it's old only if a new post was made to it.

Opa changed this years ago, members can edit their posts only for the first 15 minutes. After that, it can be touched only by mods and admins. And the script is a task master now, if you were to edit an old post, you might actually reduce their earnings despite adding a line or two .. With every revision, Opa has made the script crazier than before, I had edited a few old posts of mine at KS to verify this feature and sure enough, I lost quite a bit because the old system who had generously given me 20 cents was recalculated to 13 cents by the new system

BUT, like I said, this could not ALWAYS be the case since the new system might recognize the updated post to be superior and grant you more credits than before.

The only spam that is around that I can see are those who registered before 2 Feb. I have asked OpaQue if he could remove all members who have made no posts before this date so that all those registered spammers will be removed, also we do not have about 50k of members, more likely in the 2,000 but majority are now inactive. Otherwise we will just keep picking off the spammers that have already made it into the system but I feel a clean up of the database would be good. Would definitely speed up the response time.

This might take longer since he is busy with another project, are you registered at KS? The new project is at :_

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/78711-revamping-Xisto-all-suggestions-welcome/
'>http://forums.xisto.com/topic/78711-revamping-Xisto-all-suggestions-welcome/

iGuest

Hi Velma,

Copy this link first, log of your account then browse that link and read what you like. It's also possible to go to other sections within the staff, by modifying the link.

Cheers,

MC

yordan

By the way, I guess that if a spammer has zero myCENTS, I may directly delete his posts an ban the user, this will have no influence on the script result.

velma

Sorry about the absence you two, trying to overcome a major burnout

Copy this link first, log of your account then browse that link and read what you like. It's also possible to go to other sections within the staff, by modifying the link.

YIKES! That can't stay like that

By the way, I guess that if a spammer has zero myCENTS, I may directly delete his posts an ban the user, this will have no influence on the script result

Yep Yep! That is absolutely right If a person is not signed up at Xisto - Support.. Makes no difference whether you delete or hide the post.

iGuest

Where are all these new users coming from? So far I am seeing more people join Xisto, and they seem to be interested in getting hosting here. I think one user is borderlining on copied content, as everything I've read from him/her, sounds like I've already read it before, but it's possibly written in his own ways, but yea, it does sound all too familiar and whether he has actual interest in those matter is another story. Usually he/she does one topic posts and doesn't seem to hold discussions on those topics. Either way, it's starting to help here a lot.I don't think i'm registered on KS, I think I only remember the time when they were considering a name for that site which was a long time ago. Just thinking about it, I guess anyone could take my name from here and pretend to be me there. That would really be a bad thing but I wouldn't want to be admin/mod for another site, it's hard enough managing them as it is. Well, actually no, Xisto seems quite easy nowadays that's why I'm able to post tutorials.Also our Frequently Asked Questions does not work and links to an expired domain thecreditsystem.com could you let me know what's happening with this? Whether I need to fix the link or something. Right now I've just changed it to staff-only until it's fixed.P.S. Do you think we have the actual Lora McHugh the model/singer or is it an imposter? If it is, I really hope she improves her shouting/singing and guitar playing. Maybe if I was a show off I would stick my guitar playing on youtube, can anyone sing? I can't, well, don't think I can but if I do get the courage up and play on youtube, maybe someone can sing over it for me. Just name some songs you like.Cheers,MCI just found out I do have an account at KS. Must have transferred over from Xisto even though I don't remember signing up. I never made a single post there, so must have just been checking it out at the time.It seems Xisto gets more love than this place.By the way I did a member clean up so hopefully those spam registrants have been removed. There are still a few members who have slipped the clean up but they might be inactive now, and I think it's because the forum needs to be reindexed as these members show more than 1 post, but viewing them shows they have no posts at all. If some members start screaming at you velma... umm... say sorry in a nice way but I'm sure my filter avoided the legit members.@ velma, can we tell who's signed up at xisto?Also I think there's some confusion over soft delete and permanent delete, I'm not sure if moderators have the ability to completely remove posts, so when you delete it, it shows up in the moderator cp (this is what I call the soft delete) The post still exists, but has been moved to like a trash can. Do you have the option to permanently delete those posts? Cause permanently deleted posts are no where to be found, they can't be recovered either and I usually empty the trash when I see them, as I like the mod cp to be clean of most cruft and no point in holding onto thousands of deleted posts.Cheers,MC

velma

I really wish this topic granted Mycents, I would have been RICH!!! BWA HA HAHA

Where are all these new users coming from? So far I am seeing more people join Xisto, and they seem to be interested in getting hosting here. I think one user is borderlining on copied content, as everything I've read from him/her, sounds like I've already read it before, but it's possibly written in his own ways, but yea, it does sound all too familiar and whether he has actual interest in those matter is another story. Usually he/she does one topic posts and doesn't seem to hold discussions on those topics. Either way, it's starting to help here a lot.

I had the exact same feeling, members often resort to paraphrasing articles but we cannot do anything about it unless we find the actual source material

The member called agyat was warned on KS because of this, he would take tutorials & "best of" lists and sort of merge them together.. I got suspicious when the language in his casual posts did not match the language in his tutorials.. He is still freakishly bitter about it **rolls eyes**

I feel that the new member is pulling the same trick BUT we can never be sure unless we can find the source.. We need to decide whether it is ok for a member to SUMMARIZE in his own words content from 10 different articles.

I don't think i'm registered on KS, I think I only remember the time when they were considering a name for that site which was a long time ago. Just thinking about it, I guess anyone could take my name from here and pretend to be me there. That would really be a bad thing but I wouldn't want to be admin/mod for another site, it's hard enough managing them as it is. Well, actually no, Xisto seems quite easy nowadays that's why I'm able to post tutorials.

If someone were to take your name and use it on the forums, we can't do anything unless they claim to be you.. And it feels nice to see new members on the forum especially in the shoutbox reminds me of the good old days when they'd be quite a bunch "requesting" hosting lol

Also our Frequently Asked Questions does not work and links to an expired domain thecreditsystem.com could you let me know what's happening with this? Whether I need to fix the link or something. Right now I've just changed it to staff-only until it's fixed.

Since you seem to have admin privileges, I will speak to Opa and the three of us (you, me and Yordan) and tweak and fix the stuff OpaQue has not had the time to do. Certain links are configured for certain forums , example, livebusinesstalk.com and trappedinshit.com are domain forwarders set to redirect a visitor to the Business Forum & The Vent respectively of Xisto . The same was done for creditsystem but the domain had content according to the pre mycent system . And since the rules and system has been entirely modified, it makes no sense to leave a webpage about "credits"

I can renew the domain and we can work on adding articles related to MYCENT on it, if you agree, I will run this idea by OpaQue.. See what he thinks

P.S. Do you think we have the actual Lora McHugh the model/singer or is it an imposter? If it is, I really hope she improves her shouting/singing and guitar playing. Maybe if I was a show off I would stick my guitar playing on youtube, can anyone sing? I can't, well, don't think I can but if I do get the courage up and play on youtube, maybe someone can sing over it for me. Just name some songs you like.

Ha ha ah, I doubt but it would really be cool if she were around, we can brainwash her into getting her minions here too

I just found out I do have an account at KS. Must have transferred over from Xisto even though I don't remember signing up. I never made a single post there, so must have just been checking it out at the time.

You must have signed up at Xisto ages ago, technically, only the name of the boards was changed from Trap to KS .. So all the old accounts from Trap are still around

It seems Xisto gets more love than this place.

You and I both know that it is easier to post on KS since the topics are all over the place and not strictly restricted to technology. Also, Xisto has only a few forums that grant members MyCent while KS has plenty that grant Mycent, encourages memebers to post more since they know that they will earn something for their effort.

By the way I did a member clean up so hopefully those spam registrants have been removed. There are still a few members who have slipped the clean up but they might be inactive now, and I think it's because the forum needs to be reindexed as these members show more than 1 post, but viewing them shows they have no posts at all. If some members start screaming at you velma... umm... say sorry in a nice way but I'm sure my filter avoided the legit members.

Awwww, I would have liked to beat the whiners with a stick but since you insist, I will be polite and courteous..

As for the viewing of member content, here is an easter egg for you .. One of the upgrades (IPB or Opa's) sort of messed up things wherein posts before a certain time can't be seen in both the posts / topic tab and Find Content Tab. But all posts/topics after that period can be seen. It is weird and sounds weirder when I try to explain...

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
'>http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

We all know Jeigh posted a lot but if you click on the Posts , Topics tab, you says Nothing to display but you see "some" content in the "Find Content" tab...

It is the same for almost all of the members who have been registered from the cedit system age.. Somehow the transition into the new Mycent coupled with the upgrades done has messed up the indexing.

This creepy little thing has been around for more than 2 years I think

@ velma, can we tell who's signed up at xisto?

You mean, like name and email address?

Also I think there's some confusion over soft delete and permanent delete, I'm not sure if moderators have the ability to completely remove posts, so when you delete it, it shows up in the moderator cp (this is what I call the soft delete) The post still exists, but has been moved to like a trash can. Do you have the option to permanently delete those posts? Cause permanently deleted posts are no where to be found, they can't be recovered either and I usually empty the trash when I see them, as I like the mod cp to be clean of most cruft and no point in holding onto thousands of deleted posts.

One of the perks of the new IPB upgrade is that there is no longer a Shift + Delete option here. You have to first dump the stuff into the Recycle bin and then go to the recycle bin and delete once more. When you delete something, it goes into the "removed content" area and has to be deleted once more to delete it permanently. Stuff that is "unapproved" or "hidden" will be seen in Unapproved content.

Me and Yordan used to play spam tennis, we have literally deleted thousands and thousands of posts from the Removed Content section

yordan

Me and Yordan used to play spam tennis, we have literally deleted thousands and thousands of posts from the Removed Content section

Yeah, this was a funny game. Mainly when each spammer posted 80 to 120 topics

iGuest

Isn't it weird that I appear to be a normal member and have admin privileges?Actually, this was purposely done because I believed in not making myself a target so I hid behind the member group with the admin group behind that, could have hid behind moderator, but then you get questions asked all the time, hehe so I dodged the bullet there. It's worse when OpaQue is not as active, means no one is watching the logs, etc. Any attempts that someone may have done to log into the admin control panel. When IPB has security flaws, even if they are over a year old, they still get tried here.I feel sort of bad for removing your game, I had actually thought about removing all the bans placed on IP and email etc. Just to see if we'd experience any spam since I don't like IP based filtering.@ velma, I was really trying to avoid stepping on toes over privacy. Are they their actual names or forum names? If it's forum names that is ok, even email is ok since I see everyones here. But really this list was just maybe an indication of who or who we shouldn't be deleting, etc. but I guess that's easy enough when they have only a few posts compared to a lot of posts. Plus, no one has time to check a list, well I don't but usually I'll write something to make it easier.Cheers,MC

velma

Isn't it weird that I appear to be a normal member and have admin privileges?
Actually, this was purposely done because I believed in not making myself a target so I hid behind the member group with the admin group behind that, could have hid behind moderator, but then you get questions asked all the time, hehe so I dodged the bullet there.

When I took a break from the forums a few years ago, Opa did the same for me.. He removed the bright blue tag but left the privileges intact.. It adds a lot of pressure on a mod and even worse, on an admin... Though it is confusing for members since they don't see the shiny text but do see our actions.. leaves them suspicious (?)

It's worse when OpaQue is not as active, means no one is watching the logs, etc. Any attempts that someone may have done to log into the admin control panel. When IPB has security flaws, even if they are over a year old, they still get tried here.

Which is why I feel that your re-entry has come in at the right time, OpaQue works terribly a lot on the forums and despite spending time on the forums, he hardly gets the time to actually participate / check the forums. In fact, it is too much for one person to handle even if the forum is empty... Two of each is a must.

I feel sort of bad for removing your game, I had actually thought about removing all the bans placed on IP and email etc. Just to see if we'd experience any spam since I don't like IP based filtering.

It was very therapeutic, the mindless clicking for minutes.. You are technically working but with the brain switched off.. Detox of the mind.. and Velma veers into her crevice of weirdness...

@ velma, I was really trying to avoid stepping on toes over privacy. Are they their actual names or forum names? If it's forum names that is ok, even email is ok since I see everyones here. But really this list was just maybe an indication of who or who we shouldn't be deleting, etc. but I guess that's easy enough when they have only a few posts compared to a lot of posts. Plus, no one has time to check a list, well I don't but usually I'll write something to make it easier.

well, in brief..
You know that you need to register at the forums with x email address and a name of your choice.
To start earning mycents, you need to use X once more with the billing system (Xisto - Support.com) to link forum & billing account.

A xisto admin sees the info you submitted during registration at Xisto - Support.com. PLUS the username you have the forum(s) .. So if you have registered at KS & Asta using the same email address, it will be seen. Because you sign up at the paid version portal, your information is obviously kept private and not revealed.

Like in your case, I can see your Xisto username in the profile BUT not your KS username, which means that you either have 0 / less than 5 posts OR you have used a different email address.. And that you earned 19 dollars since you came back.. The beauty of this is that I see the ACTUAL username.. so if your username is abc and display name xyz.. I still see abc in my panel and when I run the Mycent script. This is the easiest and best way of checking members

iGuest

Is $19 enough to get a smile?I was just thinking, if I had only earnt $19 and my total is more than $19 then I must have had money prior to that... should I be asking where the interest is or is there a FAQ saying why we don't get interest?Interest should be in all our topics and hopefully we start seeing more members here. Anyone know how they are coming here? Do they get asked that question at sign up? That's vital marketing information and I only see it when they apply for hosting, or try to apply. One application was unhappy with their prior host, and read good reviews about here. I wonder where that review site is, because the popular one I remember years ago had comments that put Xisto under fire and it really hampered us then. I'm surprised they kept the history for that long, things change and that should have changed with it.So who's the richest member? Yordan seems to be sitting on a nice stack.Cheers,MC

yordan

So who's the richest member? Yordan seems to be sitting on a nice stack.

Money comes, money goes.The really important value is the "Account Credit Balance" in the billing/clientarea page. It often goes down to zero. So, there is no real stack, simply a slowly growing amount suddenly going down each month.

Pages :-

Page 1Page 2

VIEW DESKTOP VERSION REGISTERGET FREE HOSTING

Xisto.com offers Free Web Hosting to its Members for their participation in this Community. We moderate all content posted here but we cannot warrant full correctness of all content. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted our terms of use, cookie and privacy policy. Copyright 2001-2019 by Xisto Corporation. All Rights Reserved.