HOME       >>       Science and Technology

Solar System To Have 12 Planets

KDEWolf

Did anyone try the "It isn't a planet it's Mickey's dog" joke already? If not here it is. =pI completely agree with you, Pharoah. We should just call them all flying spheres and go find some more, or at least explore the ones we know right now.Sure it's not as nice as before finding new space flying spheres... Now they find them based only on calculations... bah.And Green Tea, school books aren't or weren't 'wrong'. You can just say they just used some old nomenclature, that's all. Calling it X or Y won't change any of it's properties. So your project is now as good as it was before all this superfluous discussion.

qwijibow

i bet, In 9 years, when NASA's New Horizons spacecraft reaches pluto, and finds a giant snow man, it will be redesignated a planet !but seriously, I wonder how much time, money and effort was wasted on this.Even in school exams, for the next decade or so, exam markers will be forced to accept pluto as a correct answer to "name a plannet" just to be fair to kids who have been taught otherwise in primary school.wether Pluto is a plannet, or random rock is an argument better suited to drunken scientists, on a night out in the pub.

mitchellmckain

What do you guys think about this?

Its about time! I was getting really annoyed by all these claims for a tenth planet by people who really did not know the score. Many astronomers had already stopped thinking about Pluto as a planet for quite a while, realizing that it was just one of a whole belt of similar objects. It is just a formal definition that was lacking to make a definitive ruling on many different objects. Ruling the other way was unlikely for it would likely lead to an endlessly increasing list of planets as well as reversing an earlier decision to demote Ceres from the status of planet.

This "rule" from the article defines a planet:"a celestial body that is in orbit around the sun, has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a ... nearly round shape, and has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit."

The part that classifies Pluto as, IMO, a useless hunk of ice floating in outer space is "has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit." Since Pluto's orbit overlaps Neptune's, it isn't classified as a planet.

Ahhh.. So that's how they rule out Ceres as well, since the presence of the belt of asteroids of which it is a part disqualifies Ceres for the same reason, although most of the mass of the asteroid belt is in this one body.

The definition of dwarf planet does not have this qualification meaning that Pluto and Ceres share the classification as dwarf planets. Although I suppose Pluto and Charon will now be classified as a double dwarf planet.

I am in favor of making the first criterion, "has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a ... nearly round shape", a requirement for something to be a moon, which would disqualify the two so called moons of Mars, and reduce the numbers of moons for the large planets to more reasonable numbers.

sparx

Not to nitpick - but you've got a repeated typo in two of your messages - xboxrulz: CORRECT = dwarf INCORRECT=drawf.There's an old dwarf joke about the seven dwarfs all having a bath. They were feeling happy. But happy got out. So they were all feeling grumpy.

abartar

A week after we are left with 8 planets. Pluto is no more called as a planet. I have all my sympathies with pluto. :DAre we still looking on how to define the planets. Since ages we have been teaching that there exists 9 planets. - A discovery is understandable but removing a planet from the list is not very understandable.

yordan

Also have a look here, a very important side effect : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/13137-topic/

pyost

I guess this is the best solution. It was either 8 or 12 planets - and to be honest, Pluto never was a planet. It's only the scientists' fault it wasn't handled earlier. For the last 15 years we new it were smaller, but number 9 wasn't to be changed.Sure, I am sorry this is changed after so many years, but anything for science

Pharoah

I don't have a problem with 9 planets. They could say there were 36 of them if they wanted (as long as I didn't have to memorize all 36), but I DO have a problem with them not coming to a final conclusion. 4 years ago in science we learned that there were 5 kingdoms of life, then they decided to change that to 3 domains, and 4 kingdoms in the Eukeria one. Now my brother says that they've done away with the domains and they just have 7 kingdoms! How is anyone supposed to learn anything when they're just trying to keep track of all this classification terminology?

vhortex

I don't have a problem with 9 planets. They could say there were 36 of them if they wanted (as long as I didn't have to memorize all 36), but I DO have a problem with them not coming to a final conclusion. 4 years ago in science we learned that there were 5 kingdoms of life, then they decided to change that to 3 domains, and 4 kingdoms in the Eukeria one. Now my brother says that they've done away with the domains and they just have 7 kingdoms! How is anyone supposed to learn anything when they're just trying to keep track of all this classification terminology?

pain and suffering.. i wanted to be a a doctor once or a bilogist with skills on taxonomy.. i have memories man.. all the kingdoms, phylums and others together with the scientific names.. only to find out that they have replace a lot of scientific names and reorganize the orders and kingdoms...

some of the changes reasons was pure lame.. IMO.. lame.. now about the planets.. i dont care how many then name and how many planets they will add.. just make sure that it wont give conflicts on other studies.. imagine teaching a child that pluto is not a planet and that same child read and was told that it was indeed a planet..

imagine arguing something like this with some folks that do not have direct access to internet and cable media..

-----------

yordan

I would say this fact is not a real problem.Some tens of years ago, Pluto was discovered and stated being a planet.Now, theres is a slight rectification. Pluto is not simply a planet, it's part of a group of several astronomic objects gravitating around the Sun. More complicated, but very few different from being a planet.Remember the asteroïd group between Mars and Jupiter. They behave as small planets, but are considered being a whole set insteat of being independant objects. This is simply the case now with Pluto.And, be happy. The children will have to learn the name of only eight planets, instead of twelve if all the new objects were considered as Pluto-like planetoïds.

msabas

what difference doesit make wether its a planet or not.. do people really care about it.. NO. Does our Govt. really care NO. Is it going to bring oil prices down. NO. It really anoys me to see spam on the news.. Yeas it's spam on the news.. People didnt have anything better to report on so they decided to spam TV and say hey BTW Pluto is no longer a planet.. thnx.Are the space programs really interested in that planet maybe not, but who cares. why change it after so long..

iVTEC

I just posted a reply about it,aint it wierd pluto was a planet and now is'nt?It's now catagorized as a pluton with the 3 other new plutons they thought were mini planets.Pluto is also called the dorph planet.If there's any more updates on it,please pm me with details.

BooZker

I heard on the news a couple days ago that they are going to keep it as a planet, but add more instead. I don't understand why they would change this. I can see adding planets, but getting rid of one that has been in our text books forever seems stupid.

nightfox1405241487

I heard on the news a couple days ago that they are going to keep it as a planet, but add more instead. I don't understand why they would change this. I can see adding planets, but getting rid of one that has been in our text books forever seems stupid.

I say we launch a nuke at it and blast it out of our solar system... then there'll be no more arguing over it!

[N]F

Mafamba Team

NO way.Your pulling my leg.Next, uranus won't be uranus .That is a bit odd though, you can't keep on adjusting guidelines, that's going to cost schools, libraries, and universities and colleges, billins of US Dollars to adjust their records, as well as re train teachers basicly with the new guidelines.If you ask me their just making things complciated for themselves, this is just going to make laods of money for printers and publishers, who edit one page and get loads more books sold, and makes room for quick writers to write Planet Books to be sold in the soon to be uproar!Its unfair, thats what i am trying to say.

xboxrulz1405241485

well, if Futurama's version of Uranus pulls thru, it becomes Erectum :)xboxrulz

sonoftheclayr

I actually done a persuasive essay last year stating "That Pluto isn't a planet", turns out I was right so I asked my old English teacher and now I get a retrospective A+!It doesn't really bother me much, though, because, when you think about it, Pluto never was a planet under this new definition. It was always misclassified as a planet and has always been a Kuiper Belt Object, and not the largest one at that.In the 90's when people started to think about Pluto not being a planet Clyde Tombaugh (the discoverer of Pluto) said "I don't care what you do with it".

iGuest

""Pluto is not a planet," Brown said. "There are finally, officially, eight planets in the solar system." The vote involved just 424 astronomers who remained for the last day of a meeting of the International Astronomical Union in Prague. "I'm embarrassed for astronomy. Less than 5 percent of the world's astronomers voted," said Alan Stern, leader of NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto and a scientist at the Southwest Research Institute."This definition stinks, for technical reasons," Stern told Space.com. He expects the astronomy community to overturn the decision. Other astronomers criticized the definition as ambiguous.The resolutionThe decision establishes three main categories of objects in our solar system. Planets: The eight worlds starting with Mercury and moving out to Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.Dwarf planets: Pluto and any other round object that "has not cleared the neighborhood around its orbit, and is not a satellite.""

sparkx

Hey it was either get ride of one planet or add 4 more. In my opinion less to study! Besides, there are moons that orbit Jupiter bigger than Pluto. If you call Pluto a planet you could call almost anything a planet. Sadly to say this came a week after my teacher decided that we will study all 9 planets and memorize facts for them. Thank goodness the semester is almost over!

iGuest

Had you done a search on this Forum, you would have noticed this topic has been (quite adequately) covered already and I would ask that you contribute to an existing Topic instead of Spamming the place up.

*I had some nasty pills for lunch earlier. Don't take it personal*

Pages :-

Page 1Page 2Page 3

VIEW DESKTOP VERSION REGISTERGET FREE HOSTING

Xisto.com offers Free Web Hosting to its Members for their participation in this Community. We moderate all content posted here but we cannot warrant full correctness of all content. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted our terms of use, cookie and privacy policy. Copyright 2001-2019 by Xisto Corporation. All Rights Reserved.