xisto Community
Omkar™

My Windows Collection! For everyone who are Microsofts fans and love operating with the

Windows & MacOS  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a fan of the Microsoft Corporation and I simply love their OS(s).

The best thing about a Windows OS is:

1. Its GUI - Windows are the best GUI I've seen, compared to MacOS & even Linux.

2. Its compaitibility - 99% of the softwares on the planet are compaitible with Windows.

Here's what my collection is about: (in latest order)

Windows Vista (Beta)

Windows XP (Home/Professional & Media Centre edition)

Windows 2000 Professional

Windows ME

Windows 98SE (Now that's ancient!)

I think that's about a Microsoft Windows OS Collection. A suggesstion : Micorosft should also launch a Collectors' Edition of their OS(s), what do you think?

-Omkar Ekbote

Don't brag much about Microsoft Windows. If you didn't know, windows STEALED their GUI. As they stealed almost every idea they have implemented into windows.I think many people here don't like MS windows too much... And, your collection? I really have some strange feeling that you don't have neither ONE legal copy of windows now, do you?

Don't brag much about Microsoft Windows.
If you didn't know, windows STEALED their GUI. As they stealed almost every idea they have implemented into windows.

I think many people here don't like MS windows too much... And, your collection? I really have some strange feeling that you don't have neither ONE legal copy of windows now, do you?

Hey, dude - don't discourage me. If you try to tell me that Microsoft Corporation has stolen thier ideas then I would like to see you tell me from where!!

And yes, I have ALL Licensed copies of Windows, for your kind information - except Window 98SE. So, better not call me illegal!

Also, you cannot challenge the compaitibility of Windows, cause you know that 99% of the software on the planet IS compaitible with Windows.

-Omkar Ekbote

About your statement on compatability, that might be true, but nowadays most neccessary programs can be found in possibly GPLed versions that can run even better on Linux. Firefox for Microsoft IE, OpenOffice.org for Microsoft Office, GIMP for Adobe Photoshop, Gaim for ICQ, MSN Messenger and others, and the list is really never-ending. If the program you want isn't available on Linux, and there's no replacement for it, you can always try running it on Wine, even though admittadely it doesn't run everything, especially not games, though work is being made on that area, and you can always dual-boot your Linux copy with Windows. Besides, all those licensed copies must have cost quite a fortune. And I mean quite a fortune. And let's not even start about buying licenses for Office! Besides, you also are going to have to pay a lot of money for a computer technician to rid your computer of viruses and spyware, which your costly anti-virus program can't take care of.

I know I'm being a bit of a zealot here, but I really believe what I say. What you are right about is the GUI and fewease of use though. I've had a hard time installing Linux, and I ended up with running a live-CD version for a hours without internet connectivity (had a hard time, and eventually gave up on trying to configure my USB Wi-Fi adaptor). Windows is just so easy and nice to use, from what I've seen. I've been acquainted in my old school with really old versions of Macintosh (it was around 1998), and they are probably far less useful than today's OS X or whatever, but I remember not liking it back then. All I can say is that Windows has a very nice GUI and user-friendliness, and no one can dispute that, because up 'til now Windows has been quite friendly to me, and I am a user after all, and not much of a power one.

To summarize my opinions, no side is absolutely better. Both have so much to learn, but I really can't wait to already have Linux installed permanently on my HD, even though right now I really don't have the time or energy needed (and a lot is needed) to start messing around with partitioning and everything else involved with installing a new Tux-based system.

Edited by seec77 (see edit history)

If you try to tell me that Microsoft Corporation has stolen thier ideas then I would like to see you tell me from where!!

From Xerox. Oh and there is MacOs too.. And there is many other things too.

And yes, I have ALL Licensed copies of Windows, for your kind information - except Window 98SE. So, better not call me illegal!

good for you.

Also, you cannot challenge the compaitibility of Windows, cause you know that 99% of the software on the planet IS compaitible with Windows.

and there is still that 1% that isn't.

Let me tell you something. Do you know why windows are so popular?
It's because people are soo stupid, so they are using windows. :D

I cant see the point where he challenged the compatibility of Windows..But thats the only reason i use it. Thats because Windows has the monopoly on the software market and doesnt give a chance to other like Linux or Mac.But they did steal most of there idea's.. just take a frikkin look at there latest beta internet explorer and compare to firefox.Haha and the GUI? The GUI in windows 3.1 was even stolen from mac.

Hey, all guys! What I started this topic for is the Windows OPERATING SYSTEM!!!

All you guys are talking about Microsoft's Applications! I know there are many (better) substitutes available for every Microsoft Application (thanks to its compaitibility!), but I collect Microsoft Windows OS(s) only.

P.S.: I myself use Firefox, so no praises for IE there!...

-Omkar Ekbote

Conclusion : I think the COMPAITIBILITY of Windows has made it survive.

Apart from some users saying Microsoft has copied its ideas, I still think the Windows GUI rocks!

-Omkar Ekbote

Your just hitting a wrong spot here by saying Windows is so great by there GUI and Compatibility, Other OS's could have a chance if microsoft didnt sue everybody that try's to make there os compatible with the worlds software. And i seen some nicer GUI's but thats personal cant judge about that.(btw i miss linux in the voting list)

Guys - carry on.. this is going all out to be a raging fight :P It's gonna be fun - but please no flaming, no cursing and swearing at each other..Lets see how far you can pull this - while maintaining as much decency as you can :D

Aha! Seems that you have nice and latest versions of the Micro$oft Windows Opertaing System. But the fact I would like to mention here is that many people have the Micro$oft Windows Opertaing Systems you have, to be out of the line and to have your own identity, you need something ancient, right?

Windows 98SE (Now that's ancient!)

You say Micro$oft Windows 98SE is ancient? Check that again, I seem to have an pre-historic version of them.

Here is what I have.

In increasing order of its pre-histority

Micro$oft Windows 98SE

Micro$oft Windows 98

Micro$oft Windows 95

Micro$oft Windows 3.1 --> First version of Windows

Micro$oft Windows DOS 1 to 4.

Can you beat that?

Apart from these, I have the Micro$oft Windows 2000 Professional, Micro$oft Windows XP Home Edition, but these are still there in the market. And dont count as something great.

One more thing that I would like to tell is that all my pre-historic versions legal. ( :D I dont have tech-support for them now!) Every time a new version of the OS realeases my dad is the first one to get it (He is crazy about Windows :P ). And because of that he does'nt allow me to install Linux, but I still managed to install RedHat Linux 9.

And taking about compatibility, every one must agree that Micro$oft Windows is the best, even in user friendly issues. I feel its the best because I still have'nt managed to connect to the internet in Linux using my ethernet card's cable connection.

Let's roll up our shirt and start some argument warfare ... abiding Xisto "laws" of course :D.

The only reason that Windows is surviving on today's market is their WIN32 API that they have forced other vendors to accept (See Halloween Document). They start dragging other vendors into the blackhole stating that if they sell other operating systems, their license would be removed from them (Ask your local vendor). In international laws, that's called predatory sales. Which is highly illegal, but Bill Gates and his buddies have the money, which corrupts the US market laws buy paying money through to the government bodies. It's not just the US, but the whole world. There comes the word "corruption" (Check the internation trade laws and you'll find that predatory pricing and sales are illegal).

There's only a few things that Microsoft has ever invented: Microsoft Bob and the annoying paperclip. They also popularized the Blue Screen of Death and the "three finger salute" (CTRL+ALT+DEL).

99% of whatever they "own" were bought off other competitors whom they know they can't compete with. The reason why they don't have Linux and other opensource operating systems is that you can't retain ownership on opensource software.

If you say Windows is the greatest thing ever, see how they're having major issues with Windows Vista. They need to rewrite the whole damn thing just to get it as stable as Windows XP. They're now closing in closer to how UNIX is operated. They are also the only company who denounces the opensource movement.

Microsoft is also famous for making their own standards because they love to say "we invented something so ingenious that you should buy it from us, when the better counterpart is free and is opensource which allows you to modify in everyway possible while our code is closed and costs money".

List of everything Microsoft was credited of inventing but never invented: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Problem with Microsoft? EVERYTHING THEY DO EXCEPT THE XBOX.

Why do I say the XBOX and the Microsoft Gaming Studios are great? They compete fairly on the market field. It's because it's a levelled "battlefield". The only way that Microsoft can compete against other competitor is if they have a rigged battlefield that is on their side. They can only compete fairly or worse on a levelled battlefield.

So I ask, why are you supporting such company that supports piracy, corruption, elimination of freedom, going against the will of humanity and are practically outlaws?

They're practically the Nazis of the computer world!

xboxrulz

*P.S: If there's anything violating the "laws" of Xisto, I'm regretably sorry.*

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

Windows might be stealing ideas from other corporations but those corporations didn't take advantage of their own ideas in the first place. I need to say here that i'm not a Microsoft fan even though I use Windows and other Micorosoft products. Micorosoft didn't start out as a big, giant corporation. They grow into one by taking advantage of the chances given to them. MacOS might have started the GUI idea but they refused to license it to IBM compatible computers, which is the dominant standard.

MacOS might have started the GUI idea but they refused to license it to IBM compatible computers, which is the dominant standard.

And it's dominant just because they are cheaper than MacOs. Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean better.

Here we go again.

See I will lay down a few common sense facts:

Is MS evil with its Monopoly?

In short, yes it is.

How should, we the users, react to it?

We should be thankful that we have one OS on which we can be assured to depend peacefully on. Yes that goes for Windows.

I know many would make a fuss with the term 'depend' and quote all kinda MS evil deeds, but let me make a point clear. What is dependence in my and our terms?

I buy CS Source for Windows, one step install, and within the next minute I am playing it. Time taken 15-20 minutes flat.

I get the same for Linux to set up a LAN Server, and I face all sort of inhuman problems on getting it running on my Mandrake 10.1

Then somehow i get to run the stuff and then I realise that the Linux CS Server is performing even worse than Windows 98!!! Reason? Oh damn I forgot to keep a swap partition for my Linux! (OK my fault, but anyone can make this common mistake!) I re-install the stuff with a nice share of swap partition and then again go thru the Mandrake incompatibility issue and finally get to run the game. Time taken? 4 hours.

Even games designed to run on Linux don't always perform the best. Now if one application is designed to run on Red Hat (fedora) why can't it be equally compatible with other distros??? There are practically 100s of Distros and not even a single of them provides complete satisfaction.

OK that was an end user view. Now I come down to programming view. My client wants a s/w written to run on both Windows and Linux. I initially think of using Java but Java simply refused to provide me core OS features of Linux and Windows. So I used Qt instead, which I was sure to be perfect on both the OSes. Fine, I deliver an RPM which I tested on Fedora 3,4. Now he comes back complaining that my RPM wudn't install on Suse9 and Mandrake 9.1 (which most of his clients were using on Laptop). Of course not every end user understands how to satisfy 'dependencies'. Fine I give all the packages I used hence satisfying dependencies that wud ever occur. Now I get another complaint that one of the dependencies crashed the whole OS on one of the client's computer! Basically it uninstalled another package in order for itself to run and that in turn being not backward compatible destabilized KDE.

Finally giving up, I end up delivering the package that I compiled on Windows along with 'Wine' with a pretty Installer :D

No complaints ever till now, rather I got to hear, "why didnt you do that in the first place?!"

If Xisto forum ever monitors that which user uses which OS while browsing, I suppose it will turn out that I come here using Windows 50% times and Linux 50% times. I am a fair user of both the OSes and love trying out the latest stuff in Linux.

No doubt that Linux is superb and probably the most wonderful OS ever built. The problem is of standardization.

THERE ARE NO FIXED STANDARDS

Hundreds of Distros with not even a single one of them being perfect. Not all s/w behave well on every other Distro.

But yes I must say one thing, Linux is the way to go. And WE ALL KNOW THAT LINUX IS BENEFICIAL FOR US!!!

So instead of ARGUING ABOUT WHICH IS BETTER, we must accept that Linux is as of yet way inferior on the Desktop Market (and will even loose on the server market if the things go at this pace).

What we must do collaboratively is to make Linux even more perfect. And as of now the only area were Linux lacks is standardization. I use Mandriva 2006, but I don't get all the support needed for it. Fedora has a lot of support for sure. But then features that of Mandriva aren't there on Fedora! The day this Distro Hell ends, is the day we win.

My conclusion: Linux needs standardization, until then, it will receive a harsher defeat by Vista. I know people who are dying to get Vista as if it was the Harry Potter 7 release.