HOME       >>       Staff Room

Moderator Rules And Info Didnt know there were more?

rejected

I've got a question, if there's a spam topic I warn the person according to their status, if they're new I suspend them, ect. But do I hide it, delete it, or hide it and move it?

Becca

I've got a question, if there's a spam topic I warn the person according to their status, if they're new I suspend them, ect. But do I hide it, delete it, or hide it and move it?

148814[/snapback]

Whah/..?

If i see a spam topic... but it's got OTHER people's posts in it aswell. Then I just move it to the SPAM area in the forums.

rejected

And if it's just a spam topic with no one else's post, do I hide it or do I delete it?

Becca

Well if that was up to me me, I'll just delete it. but I don't actually know what to do.

Johnny

We are mods because we help out, because Nils and OpaQue trust us. It's a privilege. And it should be fun as well, ok, it will not always be the top of fun-list, sometimes it's just going on and on and just trying to catch up. Because a lot of members don't realize/don't know that besides just posting we also read a LOT of posts, that we do try to help but that we too are limited. And patience is a virtue, even though it's hard to have

eg. X has an issue with his account, it's a problem and he can't install something. He wants help and he wants it now. He shouts in the box "I need help NOW". Then my reaction will be "and now you can wait some longer". I won't tell him, but yes, it will happen. I don't mind helping at all, but not several things at a time, just one.

Anyhow, the most important thing to know when you've just become a mderator is that we all had to learn, and it can be scarey and overwhelming to see so much options and not knowing what exactly they do. That's why we have senior mods and junior mods, sort of speak. If you have questions, something that you want to fix but dont know how. PM another mod that you know has been around for a while, PM Nils, post in the staff forum, but just ask We all learnt this way.

148734[/snapback]

Yeah, being a new moderator can be tough. Luckily I've been mod (and even admin, or owner) SEVERAL times (often on webhosts), so I know my way around most BB systems, including IPB, and I know the general rules of a webhost forum. ^-^

Well if that was up to me me, I'll just delete it. but I don't actually know what to do.

148833[/snapback]

You should. You've been a moderator for a while, I'm surprised. If it's a spam TOPIC, like the first post is spam, invis the topic and move to spam topics to be adjusted. If it's one post in the middle of a topic, you can either invis the post and warn the member, or if you feel they need to lose credits for something really bad, delete it. That's what I do, and I'm pretty sure most of the other staffies do the same.

Also, double posts can be merged, so the member doesn't lose credits. If it's obviously intentional, however, you can delete it and they'll lose credits.

And to all staffies: PLEASE leave notes when helping or fixing a problem. It lets everyone else know that you actually did something there, and that the problem's solved.

snlildude87

148814[/snapback]

Okay, if it's spam, send it to the SPAM TO BE ADJUSTED forum. Nils or OpaQue comes in there once in a while to check out the forum. Then, they adjusted the credits accordingly (hence the name). If the member is new, OpaQue says to just ban them by disabling their posting abilities (suspending has a bug in it or something), but Nils says to correct members, not punish them severely. Take your pick on who you decide to stand by. If you ban them, tell them that they can make another account, and that they must not mess it up the second time. This is so that they don't give Xisto bad ratings on those sites.

Hope that answered your question!

Yeah, being a new moderator can be tough. Luckily I've been mod (and even admin, or owner) SEVERAL times (often on webhosts), so I know my way around most BB systems, including IPB, and I know the general rules of a webhost forum. ^-^

148897[/snapback]

Boo! Get off stage! Quit bragging!

Johnny

Boo! Get off stage! Quit bragging!

148928[/snapback]

Yeah, if you guys haven't noticed, me and Nguyen here are something like rivals. Only he gets to all the good jobs first.

BuffaloHelp

I wanted to add this post http://forums.xisto.com/topic/27136-change-of-domain-name-procedure-added-to-hosting-account-center/ that is pinned on FREE WEB HOSTING: CHANGE OF DOMAIN NAME section for all moderators' information.

wassie

thats really cool

electriic ink

[tab][/tab] Also, make sure you grab a copy of Plagiarism Finder from any of the present mods. That'll make your life far easier in tracking spammed posts.

62280[/snapback]

What is this plagerism finder and does anyone here have one?

I wanted to add this post http://forums.xisto.com/topic/27136-change-of-domain-name-procedure-added-to-hosting-account-center/ that is pinned on FREE WEB HOSTING: CHANGE OF DOMAIN NAME section for all moderators' information.

Cool. So now all posts we lock and give them the link to the topic, I presume.

BuffaloHelp

Cool. So now all posts we lock and give them the link to the topic, I presume.

183163[/snapback]

Hopefully members will read the pinned topic instead of blindly making a new topic. But if there's anything we learned here in Xisto, no one reads anything that's important... of course present administrators and moderators excluded... and we probably end up babysitting them for about few months until everyone gets the idea.

Yes, just close the thread and gently ask them to use the process link.

jlhaslip

Editted the Server Support Information on the first page to reflect the most recent address to send email notification to.

Pages :-

Page 1Page 2

VIEW ORIGINAL REGISTER GET FREE HOSTING

Xisto.com offers Free Web Hosting to its Members for their participation in this Community. We moderate all content posted here but we cannot warrant full correctness of all content. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted our terms of use, cookie and privacy policy. Copyright 2001-2019 by Xisto Corporation. All Rights Reserved.