xisto Community
Nemisis

Evolution Or God... How were we created?

This is a very hot debate around the US, and I apologize it this has already been talked about. If so, please redirect me to the proper thread. Thanks!

This is something I have been wondering on what other people think. Evolution, defined as: Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species. (from dictionary.com)

Many scientists believe that humans are an evolved form of the ape family, which include gorilla's, orangatangs, etc.

Many religious people believe what the Bible tells us: God created mankind, starting with Adam and Eve.

I ask you...what do you think?

I am not sure what I believe, though, I lean more towards evolution. Seeing pictures of the skeletal structures of apes, and our skeletal structures, along with apes' movements compared to human movements, I find it hard to believe that we are not evolved creatures from apes.

However, I believe in God, I am a Christian. So, again, I have mixed views.

(If this is going to cause religious arguments, or any other type of flaming, either myself, if I can, or a mod will lock this at my request. So let's keep this as a nice, clever debate. Thank you.)

That is a very good question to ask yourself. There is proof that evolution does happen, like the bones you mentioned earlier or the Aids Virus (or any other virus with mutating capabilities) which evolves itself to protect against any immunities your body has developed. Which is why it is so hard to create an effective vaccine. But really faith is an important catalysts in evolution. Some scientist believe it to be a question of faith when it comes to certain animals. Like the angler fish, who they say had one of it's spikes move up to front so that it can attract other fish. Or the giraffe whos long neck help it to eat the leaves off the tops of trees. The same must go for us humans of course and this idea scares most people. I mean do you really believe genetics have anything to do with the formation of your soul? I honestly believe that people are being mislead when they put themselves into a religious cult. Believeing in things that are impossible for any human being to do... unless of course you knew something of subatomic particles and quantum mechanics (have you heard what that stuff can do?). I mean do you know anyone who can cure sicknesses or feed millions from a few pieces of fish and bread. Or come back from the dead? Yes, yes you heard Jesus did and your uncle was dead for 5 mins and came back but however this is where churches and anyone related come in. They tell you that that is why you must believe because even though it isn't there you must still believe it to be. It's a sham I tell you. They know that that will be the only way to get you there and keep you so that they can leech off your tithes and stuff. I don't know I have a lot to say on the subject and I don't think I can say it all here but I have left a few things to ponder on I hope... uh yeah I'm out. PEACE.

I believe that one reason why I have mixed feelings is because the fact that I am...scared, if you will. Do you understand what I am saying. I am scared not to believe in God. I am not sure if scared is the right word though.

But, you bring up some good points. I mean do you really believe genetics have anything to do with the formation of your soul? That for example. That is a good argument for both sides. Some Evolutionists may say that there is no such thing as a "Soul" while Religious people may say exactly what you said. This leans me more towards us being Gods creation.

I think it could be a mixture of bouth, there is one powerful source, we cant really call human because we dont know what it is, just because some neanderthals wrote some scripter about a guy who said "i created the world" during a time in which people believed that there was sorcery and witch craft means its true but. I belive there is some force there that is leading us onward. and Evolution is obvisouly there, i meen look around you, there are hundreds of animals that are all almost perfectly adapted to their surroundings.

There are somethings which go beyond science REACH.Some examples are Hypnotism (the things that one can perform in hypnotic stage), Bermuda triangle etx. There are 3 reasons because of which our knowledge on these things get limited :-1 > ITs something our science techonology is still not ready or its too native to understand such things.2> It is something which is not belonging to the world that we perceive. In other words, it can be something in the 4th dimension. Humans have the ability to look and think in 3 dimensions. People believed Einstien thinked in 4th dimension. 3> There are super natural forces and God's, Satan's etx. do exist BUT science is not yet ready to believe it.In anyway, The Evolution thing sounds sensible. However, the thing that bugs me is, how did Earth come into existence. Now, you would say, there was a HUGE BANG. The next question is, Where did this HUGE Ball come from? and why was there a BANG!

I believe that one reason why I have mixed feelings is because the fact that I am...scared, if you will. Do you understand what I am saying. I am scared not to believe in God. I am not sure if scared is the right word though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ask yourself why you are scared not to believe in God?

First religion is the expression of man in his belief to something that is supernatural while science is represents the facts. If you study how religion came to be as it is now then you would understand that it is nothing but merely an expression of mans longing for answers. In the beginning man believe that sun is a god, since man can't explain it he made the sun a god. But when scientist or some astrologist came to view and explained what sun is so dies the belief. Get my point? Someday the heaven and hell will soon perish in mans heart and mind for science will show the facts about everything else there is in mans world. Religion will perish like the pagans did.

I sense your fear in not believing in God. I understand it, coz I was once a devoted christian, going to mass everyday :D I learned something that took my fear away. Do you want to know what it is?

When you observe the world around you, you can see that it couldn't all appear by itself. Just look how well human is made... we have eyes to see, ears to hear, mouth to eat, brain to think :D e.t.c.. the system is very well organized... who has organized it ? I hardly believe that it came by itself as an hazard. Let's see an example. You all have a PC... the componets of a PC are all very well organized... video card, sound card,hard drives,cd and dvd players have to be connected to your mainboard... if NOONE has connected this stuff, the PC would never work... SOMEONE has connected it all, put together, installed and tuned... it could NEVER happen by itself. The world is the same thing but MUUUUUCH more complex... there's so much thigns that was tuned with a very high precision (like gravity e.t.c..) Someone arranged the world so it all works very good. Just try to guess who did it :P

Someday the heaven and hell will soon perish in mans heart and mind for science will show the facts about everything else there is in mans world. Religion will perish like the pagans did.

I have a hard time believing that. There will always be religion in the world. It has lasted for thousands of years, though it may change, there is still religion. IMHO, religion will last as long as mankind.

Do you want to know what it is?

Sure, go ahead.

Where did this HUGE Ball come from? and why was there a BANG!

That, my friend is a good question. What I do not understand, we can't teach evolution in school. I know, people will say it interferes with Religion, which absolutely cannot be taught in school. But, we talk about the creation of the solar system....That is basically evolution...

There are somethings which go beyond science REACH.
Some examples are Hypnotism (the things that one can perform in hypnotic stage), Bermuda triangle etx.

There are 3 reasons because of which our knowledge on these things get limited :-

1 > ITs something our science techonology is still not ready or its too native to understand such things.

2> It is something which is not belonging to the world that we perceive. In other words, it can be something in the 4th dimension. Humans have the ability to look and think in 3 dimensions. People believed Einstien thinked in 4th dimension.

3> There are super natural forces and God's, Satan's etx. do exist BUT science is not yet ready to believe it.

In anyway, The Evolution thing sounds sensible. However, the thing that bugs me is, how did Earth come into existence. Now, you would say, there was a HUGE BANG. The next question is, Where did this HUGE Ball come from? and why was there a BANG!

The whole idea behind the big bang was that a mass of things collected over billions and billions of years. This mass of things contained everything in the entire Universe, but may have been only the size of a grain of sand.

This eventually became too dense and exploded, creating everything in the universe, and all the galaxies. There is evidence of this because all the galaxies are moving apart and the universe is expanding, this may have been from the "big bang" billions and billions of years ago.

Skeletal remains and evident examples in the wildlife today certainly suggest that the theory of evolution is completely possible. However, some things can't be explained... or can they? I believe we are only limited by our technology, science and the way we think. We can answer these unanswered questions if we strive to improve our science and technology and innovate the way we think.

I personally find the theory of evolution more plausible.

I only have one question for people who say they believe in the evolution theory that men evolved from apes. If that is true, where are the in between creatures that are part ape, part human?In the animal world you see all kinds of variations of different types of creatures and you can see that evolution does happen. I do believe in evolution in the animal kingdom as well as the life in the oceans. It is evident! However, evolution being the reason that we came about, from apes, can only be true if there is the so called missing link. If there is a missing link, why did that stage, or stages of development from ape to man cease to exist? We have apes here today and we have humans and there is nothing in between.Now, if you believe in what the Bible says about it, God created the fish in the sea and he created the animals. Then he created man in his own image. As you look around at life on this planet, that is the state it is in today. Why people have to assume that it was different at some time in the past is just pure speculation and probably denial about what the Bible has to say.There are no skeletal remains that support something in between man and ape. That is also pure speculation based on small peices of bone that are found and then someone builds up a complete skull or whole skeleton based on maybe 10% real skeletal remains. Even the skulls that show a creature that is part man and part ape do not exist. It is sculpted out of bone fragments, and 90% sculpted. If anyone could ever find a full skeleton or a skull that supported the evolution theory then that would be something, but that has never happened. And the reason it has never happened is most likely because there is nothing to find.But, again I will ask. If it is true, or even possible that we descended from the apes, where is the in between stage or stages, and if there is a missing link, why is it missing. It is not missing from any other form of animal or sea life. It is only missing between ape and man. It is only missing because it never happened in the first place.Rodney Lay

I cant bear to think about it. I'm Cristian but the "Big Bang" Theory seems more likely. It confuses me too much. I believe in the evolution theory but how would the platypus exist? I just confuse myself more and more as I think :D

It’s true: the world is very complex – much more complex than a computer as in your example. But you need to remember, that this evolution has taken billions of years!

My teacher in history gave a very good example once to understand how long time it is since the first human was found. Lucy, as the skeleton was named, died about 3.5 million years ago. Now, if you draw a 3.5 m long line across a wall, a floor or whatever (we did it on the blackboard) it seems quite long. This timeline represents the time, which humans have existed. Each millimetre is equal to 1,000 years meaning that you only need to go two mm from the end of the line until you land in the Roman Empire!

If you step back to watch the line in it’s whole you’ll notice that you barely can the two mm; the Roman Empire. Go 5 or 6 mm from the end of the line, then you’ll meet the very first civilisation on Earth.

This is only meant to show how long time humans have existed. And life on our planet has existed much, much longer! In fact, researchers have found evidence that biological life existed 3.5 billion years ago! To make this timeline you would not need 3.5 m but 3.5 kilometres! And still the Roman Empire existed just 2 mm ago – if you can say that. :D

You see how long life has existed? Us humans did not come into existence overnight! The nature had plenty of time to experiment so to say, and see who survived.

I will make no secret of the fact that I believe in evolution. Religion was made by humans to have something to find comfort in – if one in the family died it was good to know that the death served a purpose, even though people couldn’t see the purpose.

And when I discuss religion with a Christian I always hear the argument “it says in the Bible”. Nothing in the Bible has so far been proved to be right! Oh yes, there once were a man called Jesus, we know that for sure. But just because the man is called Jesus he doesn’t need to be God’s substitute on Earth! :P

I once heard the argument “what about the ‘missing link’?” Actually I see this argument as the best proof for God’s existence. But at the same time I’m sure that someday the archaeologists will find our missing link between the apes and the humans and in that way prove more that ever that God is one of mankind’s inventions and that he only exists in our mind.

I believe that the man someday how everything was created. That will not leave much room for a God, but I think he always will be here anyway. A famous astronomer once said, that “someday science will explain how, but it’ll never explain why.” I fully agree with this. We will be able to tell how the universe was created, how our solar system was created, how the Earth was created, how life began and so on. But it’ll never explain why life developed on Earth and not on some other planet, which also has the right conditions for life.

There will always be a “why?” and some people will explain it with the presence of God. So in my opinion God will always exist in some peoples’ mind even though science can prove it to be wrong.

Rodneylay...you don't believe in evolution at all? Well, answer me this...The giraffe...If I remember correctly, they didn't always have long necks. How did they get long necks so they can reach the high trees? How did the fish in the deep ocean obtain those lights they have?I don't think they are coincidence...

He said he believes in evolution in the animal kingdom, but not the evolution in humans. There were neanderthals, which are close to apes and humans, indicating they may be the missing link. It's perfectly plausible that all the neanderthals were eradicated come the Ice Age.Plently of variants of apes exist, maybe they are the missing links? To gorillas that walk on their knuckles, to monkeys with prehensile tails and opposable thumbs.

I believe in a mix of the two. I believe that God created the world and all living things. I also believe that God evolved animals to create other species and such. That's basically it. But I think the world would be much better off without religion as a whole