xisto Community
JYM

Neutron Bomb

Hey guys! I've recently heard from a friend of mine that there is now a neutron bomb (which, until that point, I was unaware existed). It seems that this neutron bomb is like a small hydrogen bomb, but instead of creating a big explosion and blowing things up, it emits lots of radiation. This will basically kill lots of people, but keep the buildings and houses somewhat upright. This is kind of scary, don't you think? If we ever have a world war 3... and a neutron bomb is dropped... everyone will be wiped out.... eek. Scary...

I've heard about them. Please don't mention about a World War 3... Although the neutron bomb's effects scare me, I find it fascinating. The main thing I heard about them is that they are intended to destroy soldiers protected by armor and that it's highly effective against heavy armored vehicles. Wow, that is scary...My question is, how does a neutron bomb work?

Yup.. lets not talk about a World War III. But here are some interesting facts about Neutron Bombs:

Neturon bombs are supposed to be enhanced radiation weapons - one of the final kinds in the thermonuclear armory. Unlike other nuclear variants, this bomb's shell isn't made of any heavy metal like lead - it usually consists of nickel or chromium that intentionally lets the neutrons pass through. Besides neutrons are way more penetrating than most gamma particles which would otherwise be blocked by heavy metals.

The fact that's relatively unknown is that neutron bombs DO produce a blast causing thermal & shock effects - but to a much lesser extent than other kind of atomic bombs. The term "enhanced radiation" refers only to the burst of ionizing radiation released at the moment of detonation and not to enhanced radioactive residues.

Here's how the energy from a normal nuclear bomb dissipates:

Blastâ40-60% of total energy

Thermal radiationâ30-50% of total energy

Ionizing radiationâ5% of total energy

Residual radiation (fallout)â5-10% of total energy

Since neutrons bombs are falsely envisioned to be damaging to only human life and not the surrounding habitat, they are jokingly known as "landlord bombs". :P

Here's what an ideal neutron bomb's effects are supposed to be:

Blast and heat effects will be confined within a few hundred yards.

Instead a massive wave of gamma and neutron radiation are thrown out covering an extremely large area.

Can penetrate heavy armors - so effective against tanks as well as soldiers in strong armors. Also can penetrate several feet down the earth.

Can be launched by virtually any medium - missile, aircraft, artillery etc.

The worst - tremendously damaging to living tissue - a couple of hundred-thousand times more than any conventional atomic weapon - so you can imagine the effect.

One problem with using radiation as a tactical anti-personnel weapon is that to bring about rapid incapacitation of the target, a radiation dose that is many times the lethal level must be administered. A radiation dose of 6 Gy is normally considered lethal. It will kill at least half of those who are exposed to it, but no effect is noticeable for several hours. Neutron bombs were intended to deliver a dose of 80 Gy to produce immediate and permanent incapacitation. A 1 kt ER warhead can do this to a T-72 tank crew at a range of 690 m, compared to 360 m for a pure fission bomb. For a "mere" 6 Gy dose, the distances are 1100 m and 700 m respectively, and for unprotected soldiers 6 Gy exposures occur at 1350 m and 900 m. The lethal range for tactical neutron bombs exceeds the lethal range for blast and heat even for unprotected troops.

Source: Wikipedia

Neutron bomb research is supposed to have begun around the 1970s when military scientists in the United States sought to reduce the amount of blast produced by thermonuclear devices and increase the amount of gamma radiation thrown out.

The French are said to have carried out some leading experiements with their atmospheric detonation in 1967.

Did you know that theoretically there can be one final variant of nuclear bombs, named Antimatter bomb - but as of now with the kind of resources & technology we have creating one isn't feasible in any way.

Antimatter bombs

Though weapons using matter-antimatter reactions would not technically be nuclear weapons (as they would not be using energy derived from either nuclear fission or fusion), they bear noting due to a potential higher potential energy by weight than conventional or nuclear explosives. As an antimatter annihilation event would produce similar radiological effects as a nuclear weapon, they are often classified together. The annihilation of a single gram of antimatter would release 90TJ (terajoules) of energy, more than a 20KT nuclear device. Fortunately, the extreme difficulty in creating, capturing, and holding antimatter particles dictate that such a quantity would take at least tens of millions of years to capture, even in the unlikely event a containment mechanism was developed. Barring a revolution in physics, this relegates antimatter weapons to the annals of science-fiction.

Source: Wikipedia

"In nuclear terms, an explosion is still an explosion. You cannot sanitise nuclear war." - Source Unknown

One definitive source for information is howstuffworks.com The results are amazing and they cover everything.If you've read "angels and demons" you'd probably know what antimatter is. The containment device in it is pretty simple. But again this is an example of human carelessness towards the knowledge that he has on his hands.God bless us with some sense.

Why do they develop such things ? Really weird isn't it, there is actually no need for development of such weapons. There are no really BIG wars going on and if we're trying to have peace, why then create bombs?SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC (but the topic reminded me of this)I can't really understand why governments decide to have such weapons created and developed further. I think that if for example USA decides to drop an neutron bomb on Iraq, the whole US population and the rest of the world would protest against it and bushy would be in great trouble.I presume the americans are still developing those bombs, but then they accuse the iraqis of creating 'weapons of mass destruction', but those are just toxic bombs, and way less dangerous than nuclear stuff. I think they should also check the US for dangerous weapons.

Yup - you are right. US should be the first one to be checked for weapons of mass destruction and be disarmed accordingly. After all, they are the ONLY country in the World, who's ACTUALLY TESTED such a bomb on LIVE targets. The rest of them are just happy with inhouse tests. What I don't like about them is their govt.'s bossy attitude - THEY ARE ALWAYS RIGHT, THEY CAN GO AHEAD AND DO WTF THEY LIKE in any corner of the world - and the rest of the world is just a cartload of bull$h... Plus, they make sure that most of the American mass remains uneducated when it comes to the rest of the world. Infact, 90% of the american students in my university didn't even know that so many different countries exist in the Asian continent... to them nothing exists beyond america. - Funny or Sad ??

I'm aware of Russia having used Neutron bombs during their occupation of Afghanistan (during the soviet rule), and their having used the warheads launched from artillery positions well out of range for any damaging effect to their own troops.

There was an article a long while back in the magazine 'Firepower' about this and an insight into the ways Neutron Bombs may be used.

Also back in 2001 there was an article about Russia and the US agreeing to allow each other to utilize tactical nuclear armaments in conflicts of an ongoing nature - the US to be allowed to utilize Neutron shells and bombs becides atomic mines, while Russia would be allowed to use the same in Chechnia. Really really disturbing.

But much more interesting, even more so than Neutron wepons is HAARP (High-Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) - its a program well into its gestation period that is aimed at militarily using weather and planet function methods to inflict damage or prevent damage caused by (supposidly) natural events.

A very interesting article I found here explains this in more detail.

Some excerpts of what HAARP can actually accomplish are:

HAARP can:
1. Create Earthquakes on demand wherever and whenever you wish on the earth. [Pages 18, 26 speak of using HAARP to create earthquake. However, our military discovered, by accident, how to create earthquakes using slightly different technology. Listen to the specific earthquake caused on page 47]. "The planetary-scale engineers tried to replace a ten by forty kilometer section of the ionosphere with a 'telecommunications shield' of 350,000 copper needles tossed into orbit ... when the military sent up a band of tiny copper wires into the ionosphere to orbit the planet so as to 'reflect radio waves and make reception clearer', we had the 8.5 Alaska earthquake and Chile lost a good deal of its coast. That band of copper wires interfered with the planetary magnetic field."

2. Manipulate Global Weather Systems, changing weather patterns, rainfall, drought [Page 19, 26]

3. Cause Earth to go wild in its rotation, possibly spinning out of control [page 21]

4. Can Redirect Jet Streams [Page 34, 39]

5. Redirect flow of Electrojet Stream [Page 41]

6. Magnify and Focus sunlight, called 'Skybusting' [Page 35]. This process could burn holes in the protective ozone layers, thus allowing intense sunlight to pour through, burning mankind severely [Page 57]. Look at Revelation 16:8, quoted above
Mind Control [Page 17-18, 26]. Using extremely low frequency bombardment at just the same frequency as the human brain operates, you can change a person's thoughts or emotions. God help us all when and if wicked men achieves finesse with this weapon!

7. HAARP can create nuclear-sized explosions without radiation! [Page 38, 62]. This process is protected by patent 4,873,928. This might be the "great" sword being wielded by the forces of Antichrist in Revelation 6:4. With this weapon, you could attack targets with nuclear-sized explosions without having to deliver nuclear warheads on missiles, or on aircraft, or any carrier!! This development could render all military calculations about how to defend against an enemy's attack completely useless. Nuclear-sized attacks could be delivered at the speed of light to any place on earth.

I guess its time to say holy wow and look out for another planet to settle on..

Rashid

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever have WW3. I say that because if that many nations become involved in a war, there is bound to be someone who will utilize a nuclear weapon. This will cause everyone else to retiliate and before you know it, we've wiped ourselves out. It was a sad day, the day all these horrible weapons were invented. I mean there's a difference between defeating an enemy and wiping them out. Someday, the human race will regret them.

It's a pity, that were have these weapons, but if anyone in the world has 1 nuke, someone else would have 10 to defend temselves, and so on and on. Your right about one thing and that they probably be no WW3 with these nuke around, but there'll still be terrorists who would use it, however unlikely.

Why do they develop such things ? Really weird isn't it, there is actually no need for development of such weapons. There are no really BIG wars going on and if we're trying to have peace, why then create bombs?

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC (but the topic reminded me of this)

I can't really understand why governments decide to have such weapons created and developed further. I think that if for example USA decides to drop an neutron bomb on Iraq, the whole US population and the rest of the world would protest against it and bushy would be in great trouble.

I presume the americans are still developing those bombs, but then they accuse the iraqis of creating 'weapons of mass destruction', but those are just toxic bombs, and way less dangerous than nuclear stuff. I think they should also check the US for dangerous weapons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To me the US can do anything they want, I mean we are a hegemon in this world we have the power. There are other countries out there with Weapons of Mass Destruction, But it still doesn't justify what the US did to Iraq. What I think is we really won't use nuclear weapons because of the consequences. Which be nuking each other back and until we wipe ourselves out. :(

The advancements in technology will always mean that someone somewhere will want to use it for military purposes.Howstuffworks.com is an extremely useful website, and I am glad I aint the only one that knows about antimatter (which re-orders Einsteins famous E=mc2 to E=-mc2 (matter) or E=+mc2 (antimatter) ).The neutron bomb information came out quite a while ago (few years). It was probably feared more than the nuclear bomb. (As it keeps things intact, worthwhile for capturing).

Hey guys!

I've recently heard from a friend of mine that there is now a neutron bomb (which, until that point, I was unaware existed).  It seems that this neutron bomb is like a small hydrogen bomb, but instead of creating a big explosion and blowing things up, it emits lots of radiation.  This will basically kill lots of people, but keep the buildings and houses somewhat upright.  This is kind of scary, don't you think?  If we ever have a world war 3... and a neutron bomb is dropped... everyone will be wiped out.... eek.  Scary...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, I don't think so. I think that the US has learned it's leason from the A-Bomb. I'm not saying this for sure, but I do think that if anything, we would plan to use it only as a last resort.

This isn't totally related to bombs, but whatever.Like all kinds of radiation, neutron radiation has a lot of benefits that people don't realize. The biggest one that I can think of off the top of my head is neutron radiography of turbine blades. Basically, when you manufacture a giant turbine blade for something like a jet engine, you really want to make sure it'll work cause jet engines failing in mid-air are not really acceptable. Sometimes there can be flaws or imperfections in the metal that aren't detectable by conventional methods, but cause big problems, like the blade ripping apart and getting stuck in the engine causing catastrophic failure. The way that you can find them is by shooting neutrons through the blade, basically like doing an x-ray, but with neutrons (cause x-rays don't go through metal). Any blades that have even small cracks or defects get scrapped. So next time you're flying, and your plane doesn't crash, think of the helpful neutron radiation that made your flight a little bit safer :(

Great example of how technology is both good and bad KitKat. I can see a definite advantage to using neutron radiation technology to scan for defects in metal, as that could be used for many other things besides airplane turbines: metal framework on buildings, testing the hulls of ships, even using it on a space station or spacecraft to test for minor defects either before going into space or before re-entry.This is rather off topic, but the neutron bomb is a rather freaky thing... One of the scariest things I can think of is to wake up one day, find that the world has been neutron-bombed into oblivion, and have everything be empty of all life. There would just be these buildings and vehicles with nobody inside, and maybe some minor structural damage. Scary...Anyway, I think that (as with most technology) neutron radiation's good points outweigh it's bad, and that if used properly it's a great tool.-Kyle

Why do they develop such things ? Really weird isn't it, there is actually no need for development of such weapons. There are no really BIG wars going on and if we're trying to have peace, why then create bombs?

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC (but the topic reminded me of this)

I can't really understand why governments decide to have such weapons created and developed further. I think that if for example USA decides to drop an neutron bomb on Iraq, the whole US population and the rest of the world would protest against it and bushy would be in great trouble.

I presume the americans are still developing those bombs, but then they accuse the iraqis of creating 'weapons of mass destruction', but those are just toxic bombs, and way less dangerous than nuclear stuff. I think they should also check the US for dangerous weapons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the reason we have such weapons is the fact that if we don't develop them first...someone else will

furthermore....the bomb offers security ...the logic in it is that if we have a bigger weapon than the enemies...they won't attack...that's basically why we make such weapons

and the neutron bomb is basically just a normal nuke that is detonated in the stratosphere...it is a brilliant tactical weapon...take out all enemies on land with all the structures still in tact(but highly radiated)